1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams interested in Chris Kaman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nadman89, Jan 27, 2012.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would take him at the right price but he's not much of a rim protector which is why I wouldn't give up more than Jordan Hill and some fillers.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

him being expiring is a reason the trade is appealing

Scola is our biggest long term contract commitment, and it's time to sell high on him before no one else is willing to take on his salary.

If I were NO I would not want Scola, but maybe they do and maybe Stern will allow it as a make up for screwing us over.

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

If you are NO you wouldnt want Scola as your starter in a trade for a backup player? Yeah right. :rolleyes:

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

re: (1) correct. We're currently standing at 4th in the Western Conference. To take him on this year (as an expiring) would be a "win now" kind of move.

and (2) agree! It makes no sense to throw away the start of a promising season to 'create cap room' in order not to sign someone in the summer! We can make the same moves via S&T OR (if we had the right deal in place) by using the amnesty.

I would certainly be interested in Kaman as a "switch" for Thabeet, Flynn and Adrien. Maybe throw in a second round pick? Or even just cash? By giving cash couldn't we save NO $8 million this year AND give them a look at Thabeet/Flynn on the court?
    [I know those guys suck - but sometimes a team that already sux is willing to play them a lot and see just how bad they suck in order to get themselves the number 1 draft pick]

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah. I would like to have Kaman if we can get him for "lottery bust flotsam" and maybe Budinger, 2nd round pick, that kind of thing.

Untouchable for Kaman: Any every-game member of the rotation, any first round draft pick, Morris/D-Mo.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Scola's is not a bad contract. His contract is favorable to the team, and he is important to make a run at the playoffs this season, unless we can trade him for something which makes the team better. Swapping Scola for Kaman does not make the team better this year.

7. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Kamen doesn't suck. Look at the numbers and, uh, watch a game. Atleast he can grab rebounds and block a shot or two and play defense, unlike a certain starting power forward who wears #4 for the Rockets.

8. cod

cod Member

LOL, maybe you may have wanted to do that beforehand. You just proved yourself utterly wrong.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

How? His career averages are 11 points/8 rebounds/1.4 blocks per game in his career. Even this season, in not the most ideal situation, he's producing 9 ppg/6.6 rpg/1.2 bpg in 22 minutes per game.

Pretty good production to me.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

The point is the Rockets have Samuel Dalembert and no longer need teams center. Sammy D is better than Kaman. Gettting rid of Scola in favor of another center does nothing for the Rockets unless they want to tank and save money from Kamans contract for next year. It does not improve the Rockets. Its a tanking move. Frankly if the Rockets do that I want them to get more than expiring contract for it. Make no mistake Kaman is worse value than Scola by at least half. In fact they should give us Kaman and a player to make up for getting Scola or a draft pick. Scola for Kaman straight up is not enough from them.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Scola for their 1st round draft pick and Kaman makes more sense.

12. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Cleveland Cavaliers reportedly interested in Charlotte Hornets center Chris Kaman

Haha, that was a headline fail by Cleveland.com

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

the good old Charlotte Hornets days

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

What if they offered Kaman and Landry for Scola and some 09ers, would you do it?

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Kaman is HORRIBLE.

He was already aging in dog years in LA and they tried to sneak him into every trade talk they could. Now, he somehow managed to leave his motivation behind when he went to NO.

He looks at least as bad as the Brad Miller experience, only add a dollop of don'tcare. Turnover machine despite few touches, and possibly the most inefficient offensive player in the league. PPS below 1.00? Only Tayshaun Prince is worse.

16. TheRaymond

TheRaymond Member

Kaman is a defensive liability. He can score, but has only ever done it on bad teams.

To me, he seems like a stat filler. Numbers look okay, but no impact on the game.

17. cod

cod Member

[​IMG]

The general consensus had been he was dogging it on the court. I wouldn't be as harsh but it didn't look like 100% effort.

18. cod

cod Member

Expiring contracts for expring contracts. It would be good to have a 7 footer who can cover some minutes. I see him more a trade deadline fodder.

A single large contract can be more useful. Most teams will have full rosters. It could help cut out the need for a third team when dealing with a trade package with a lot of players.

19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I would not trade Kaman for any of the Rockets unless it is Hasheem, or TWill. Scola>Kaman, if Hornets don't want him, why would the Rockets trade any of their core players for him. It just doesn't make sense for Scola, who can give you offense, sure his defense isn't good, but Dalembert is there for a reason. Kaman for any of our bench who aren't getting minutes.

20. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The same people that say Kaman sucks are the same ones that said Dalembert sucks. If you say that he hasn't been healthy and hasn't produced the way he "could" or "should" produce, then I have no problems with this; but to flat out say that he's "horrible"....that's crazy.

Most people have not watched this guy play. He does make mistakes that lead to TOs, but which offensive post guy doesn't turn the ball over? Yes, he is shooting a career worst 44% this year, but who was going to score for the Hornets with Gordon out? He's a 49% shooter for his career. That's not great for a center, but when you consider the fact that the Clippers had no post guys that would score, it doesn't seem too bad.

14pts, 10 rebs, 1.7 blks per 36 min for his career. He has post up moves. He has a jump shot. He can rebound and block shots. His lateral movement and basketball IQ are average for a center. If you can get him for cheap, you DO IT. Dalembert can play 25-30 min per game, this guy can play the rest. If you play a team with two 7 footers, then they can play together.