1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams interested in Chris Kaman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nadman89, Jan 27, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As weak as the bottom half of the East is, and with as much talent as New York has, I have a hard time believing they wont make the playoffs. I could be wrong here and they will continue to suck, but I just have a hard time believing that the pick will be any better than the 15th pick. In that case-

Kaman= much greater chance of making the playoffs, depth at the 5. Solid big man rotation.

Vs.

15th through the 20th pick in the draft.(lets be conservative when tempering expectations.)

2. valorita

valorita Member

Patterson is severely overrated by the members of our board.
    People will soon find out that he will be a solid 5~6th best player on a championship caliber team.
    Remember all the love that Chase was getting in his first two years, especially toward the end of last year? What happened to that guy... he never took the next step, that is what happened.
    Same thing will happen with patterson.

Morey could aquire one of those in his sleep.

3. Spooner

Spooner Member

That is fantastic if true.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

ZachLowe_SI Zach Lowe
    [rQUOTEr]Trying to find a workable Kaman deal...can't see NOH getting much in return, in terms of impactful young player. One intriguing Kaman fit: Houston, if NOH ends up settling for lotto bust flotsam. Hurdles exist even there to make 2-team deal work.[/rQUOTEr]

5. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

I think that the rockets should try to get Kaman. Whether or not he does a decent job as a backup(and who knows he just might!) doesn't matter cuz he just might end up being the asset the rockets need to grab a superstar without giving up a key piece to our current team(i. e. someone like martin or scola who many people view as expendable but who i think are extremely important to our team). If Kaman does end up playing well, the rox can try signing him in the offseason but the the move i would want to see made would be to trade hime for an all-star caliber player(with a few other players). The key for the rox would be not to lose too many players in the deal for Kaman.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

im not sure NY will keep sinking this season....from here they can only really go up, especially once Davis is ready...might be best to sell high on that pick.

7. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

How about this for next year:

Dalembert 32
    Kaman 31
    Patterson 18
    Motiejunas 15

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

They have played the easiest schedule so far and they are 7-13. They are still sinking.

9. MONON

MONON Member

I wouldn't consider any trade with N.O. as long as Stern's in control.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Are you talking about the out of shape, often injured, point guard that hasn't been good in 3 years and has shoot 38% from the floor the last 3 years Baron Davis?

11. rocketsmetalspd

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. Why would we even consider it? More to the point, why would Alexander and Morey? Perhaps if this were seen as a "makeup" move by Stern and company to smooth over the feelings of our owner and front office, in other words, an exceptional deal approved by Stern before anything is announced. Guess we'll see.

13. TheRaymond

TheRaymond Member

14. rocketsmetalspd

That is just what I believe Stern would want in a trade but I doubt he will want to trade with the Rockets. Stern is out to fleece in the trades.

15. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

The question is.. why would we do that?

16. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Why are you talking about salary cap concerns when not making qualifying offers to 4 players and having Chase's cheap contract keeps us at the bottom of the West in cap room availability. The only teams with more cap room in the west are the Kings, Grizzlies, and Jazz.

We can bring on Kaman, restructure his deal and have two big men with flexible contracts (could be a necessary asset in a Dwight S&T). If Kaman is willing to do 2/3 years $7mil per with the 2nd/3rd year being a team option I promise you we gained a trade asset without hurting our cap space.

So I agree with you that we wouldn't trade for Kaman so he could retire a Rocket, but locking him up for a couple years with a team friendly contract makes him an asset..... that's a Morey move.

I really like Asik but other than Dwight I don't know what other young big men are in the free agent class? Care to give me the list of big all stars? You really can't so why not keep a frontcourt of Dalembert/Kaman/Scola/P Pat to pair with Lowry & Lee and see if we can acquire a good wing to complement Morris/Parsons for next season. And if Kaman is under that kind of 2/3 year deal, ship him + Lowry to NJ for D Williams and a draft pick and then the real FA party begins next summer when we Scola becomes an expiring.

Long term Kaman could be that piece of a deal that makes us relevant. As the 4th cheapest West team and 4 players with expiring contracts now, we don't need another expiring..

17. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

1. We couldn't straight up.

2. If we could Morris would have to be accompanied with other players to match salary and then it'd look really one-sided to NO.

3. Morey would listen to dealing Morris if NO wants to include that 2013 1st rounder or the rights to Gordon.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

After Feb 12th when his restriction comes off I could see us doing a three way trade with a team with a large trade exemption and a lottery protected 1st. Lakers? They could trade the exemption for Ariza. NO sheds salary and we throw some of our expiring busts and a protected 1st maybe a second for Kaman.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Kaman would be a great pickup for the busts.

20. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

14 million dollar expiring contract. want.