1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TV Comedy that holds up over time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Jan 27, 2012.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Nothing stays funny, at a certain point. I guess TV's still "new enough" that there's stuff that's still funny because people still remember the context, but almost all comedy has an expiration date. Chaplin's not funny anymore, Fatty Arbuckle's not funny anymore, The Stooges really aren't funny anymore, etc.

That said, I do think some stuff is better suited to stand the test of time, for a bit longer. I think absurdity holds up well, which is why Monty Python is still funny to me.

Of course this is all just my humble opinion. ;)

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Wow. I never knew that Three's Company was a remake. And the original UK version had two spin-offs that the US version copied identically.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

wow, no love for Wonder Years?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Efa62maiEeg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Who can forget this episode? Lot's of funny stuff that still holds up to this day.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lf3mgmEdfwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure about this. People still reference and quote Seinfeld. I don't know anybody that really talks much about Friends or Frasier. Then again, maybe I just hang around Seinfeld types.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think the point is whether people reference it still, it's whether if upon a new viewing it is still entertaining beyond nostalgia. I've tried to watch Seinfeld as someone who didn't watch it much when it was on and it comes across very dated.

7. what

what Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D38whHYuvcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. luisantonio1014

9. Pass

Pass Member

3rd Rock from the Sun!

10. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

I had never watched Cheers and I watched the pilot episode a few weeks ago and thought it was hilarious. I watched the Frasier pilot and thought it was pretty great too.

For reference, I'm a big fan of Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Community, 30 Rock. Not any 3 camera sitcoms that are airing now.

11. VanityHalfBlack

This show definitely...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l8ZNQJGO5oY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

EXACTLY!

I can't believe it took so long for anyone to mention Seinfeld. IMO no other show has held up better than it.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I still like watching fresh prince.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

My favorite 5 shows of all-time (in no particular order):

1) Andy Griffith Show (black and white episodes/Don Knotts ones only)
    2) Bewitched
    3) The Flintstones
    4) The Simpsons
    5) Seinfeld

1 person likes this.
  15. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

What a coincidence! I just started watching Frasier reruns by chance. I was surprised how much I liked it, it is amazingly solid. I'm going to check out Cheers again because of it.

I also like Three's Company, I have the entire show on DVD. I never thought to check out the original but now that it's been mentioned (and the power of the internet) I probably should. It's not that far back, but I've repeatedly claimed by love for News Radio.

I was never a huge fan of Friends, and catching reruns of it...ugh....

If I had to pick any one show to watch it would be News Radio just over Seinfeld, but I would still consider Seinfeld the GOAT for it's longevity and influence.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah that Andy Griffith Show is timeless, streaming on netflix now...

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Shut your mouth.

18. Burko

Burko Member

Only Fools And Horses.

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the writing on Frasier for the first 6 or 7 seasons was brilliant. throw in kelsey grammer and david hyde pierce's delivery and that show was amazing and should get more long-lasting credit than it's gotten (though it got plenty of contemporary credit with like 5 straight emmys). and cheers was even better than frasier, although with a simpons-esque slow start for the first season or two. crazy to think that frasier crane wasn't even on cheers when it started and was only supposed to be on for a few episodes and he wasn't even that funny for about the first season and a half that they used him. then he goes on to be the 2nd most important character on the show and has an 11 year spinoff show. for that matter, lilith was only supposed to be on for one episode and they liked her so much she became a regular.

i'm not sure there's ever been a show that incorporated and folded in new characters more seasmlessly than cheers. maybe ER.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hOSYiT2iG08" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IDQ1ljlnSjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h--HR7PWfp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>