1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Rick and Ricky in Minnesota Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Dec 9, 2011.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Ricky Rubio?

All flash no fire.
    Just overhyped Eurotrash that can get on sportscenter every night.
    Lowry dominated him.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rubio's good

Lowry is his daddy

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I was talking about shooting.

Will Rubio ever become the shooter Lowry is today?

Doubtful, but we'll see.

4. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

I love the kneejerk reactions on this board. Everyone is saying that Lowry is a top 5 pg, which he definitely is. Then, when an up and coming rookie pg has a bad 4th quarter against him, everybody jumps the LOL LOL OVERRATED bandwagon.

It's exactly like the bandwagons with Terrence 'The Squid' Williams, Adelman not playing him, the 'Lowry can't hit the side of a barn' threads from a year ago and so on.

I saw a pretty close, phyiscal game right up until the 4th quarter when the Rockets experience and bench quality dominated the Wolves as a collective. Unnecessary and well-forced turnovers killed the Wolves, the Rockets really capitalized on their opponents' mistakes like they should have. This one game does not determine Rubio as a player (who played some pretty good defense), Kevin Love as a player (who got too hot), or any one member of the Rockets or Wolves. It just doesn't work like that. Things are only that simple for the simple minds (like REEKO_HTOWN who is one of the biggest small sample size gurus out there).

It was a good game that the Rockets deservedly won.

1 person likes this.
  5. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

I honestly don't think Rubio will ever be as good a shooter as Lowry is. I really like the kid, but his shooting form has to be completely redone, which is a tough thing to do. He really is similar to the Lowry we saw in the Lakers series, just painful to watch his shooting game killing his overall game as well.

When he starts being a decent shooter, his game will open up like Lowry's did. But no sane man should compare Lowry to Rubio, Lowry is clearly better in all aspects of the game right now. I'm not sure whether Rubio has a greater ceiling in player effectiveness than him, maybe more star potential based on flashyness and being foreign. That said, Lowry is awesome.

6. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

Except he has a very-very slow shooting motion and a slow release and he has a bad mindset too. He hesitates too much before shooting and seems to hesitate even while in shooting motion. That just isn't something that has 'good shooter potential' written over it. Lowry had a fairly quick and confident release, although he wasn't very effective.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Remember Lowry couldn't hit broad side of the barn during his first few years.

8. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

I watch every Wolves and Rockets game on ILP. Believe me, Rubio has the potential to be something really special. He is a good defensive pg who can control the tempo and dish out assists. He is also a bit reckless, but has good bbiq and makes smart plays (not just with the ball). I've seen the cleverest Wolves play from him this year when he committed a good strong foul in a key moment in the fourth quarter against the Clippers.

I really don't understand the hate. The Rubio hype is not at all that undeserved as some of you guys make it up to be, judging from one, at most two games.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

The hate stems from the fact that some posters here keep saying Rubio is worth trading away half of our team, and how he's better than Klow because he's a game changer. Its like Lebron, when people orgasm all over a certain player you start hating him.

10. sbyang

sbyang Member

I think Rubio's shot will get there. The important thing is he's not afraid to miss. There are some guys in the league (Rondo is the prime example, and a bunch of bigs with free throws), who will never be successful because they have been defeated by the fear of missing.

Basically, if a player ain't scared and works on his shot. He will be a good shooter by virtue of practice alone.

11. Mr. Clutch

And Rubio can't throw the ball into the ocean.

12. Mr. Clutch

Thing with Rubio is he can't hit inside shots either.

Lowry could always finish closer shots.

13. cod

cod Member

Rubio outplayed Lowry 1 on 1 in this game.

14. Mr. Clutch

I actually like him a lot. He will be a passing and defensive stud for many years to come.

If he can develop a shot, then he will be elite.

15. Mr. Clutch

Steve Francis could out play most PGs 1 on 1 too.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My hate is not for Rubio but his hype. I also hate this idea that Rick Adelman will save the Wolves.

I like Rubio as a player but he does not deserve the attention he gets when Lowry is a much better player by miles.

17. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

THIS. why are some rockets fans here so biased towards there team. Someone said that Rubio will never be the shooter that Lowry is. You say that like Lowry is some amazing shooter.

Lowry career average: 43% FG, and 32% 3Pt

your right, some shooter:rolleyes:

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Well, he is a new sensation and is a rookie NBA player. He's an exciting and charismatic player, there's nothing anyone can do to change that. Rubio is the type player that would actually bring people out to watch a basketball game.

Not to take anything from Kyle Lowry, but who outside of Houston who is not a die hard Rockets fan or know Lowry personally is going to come to game just to watch Kyle Lowry.

How is he being hyped up?

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's a little harsh don't you think. For some reason, NBA players were talking about Rubio at the 2008 Olympics. That is saying something coming from his peers, the guy is only 21-22. He hasn't even been in the NBA game a good month.

20. jlwee

jlwee Member

The Rubio hates remind me of Yao Ming hates.

When a foreign player playing well in the US and the media goes crazy about him then all the haters will pop out and attack him once he has a bad or subpar game.

Calling Rubio Eurotrash just show how classless some of the fans are.

2 people like this.