1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry- the good, the bad, and the ugly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedNation, Jan 22, 2012.

1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

In my opinion, kyle lowry will be a star in this league. He isn't quite there yet, but he is consistently improving. He is doing many things well, including shooting, passing, getting steals but there are also many things he will have to improve in order to make the transition to a star.

The good:

1. Shooting- I think by now, he has shown us he can consistently hit the three ball and drain the mid range jumper. He is great shooting off picks and always seems to knock a shot down at the end of the shot clock or when the team needs him most. He has also been very consistent with his free throws hitting over 90 percent.

2. Passing- lowry's assist numbers have went up this season and it is clear that lowry will find the open man. On the break he makes smart passes (usually) and gets the team easy baskets.

3. Defense- lowry has been playing solid defense and has been getting a lot of steals. He plays the passing lanes well and is a great defensive rebounder. He can also play good post defense against bigger pgs. The only problem with him on d is that he seems to rely on dally too much and sometimes let's pgs run right past him. He needs to learn to slide his feet a little better but he still plays good team defense.

The bad:

One thing I've noticed from lowry is that he is way too passive at times. He won't even look for his shot at times when the team is struggling. He just dishes it to martin and lets him go to work. When we are struggling, I think he needs to look for his shot to get us back on track. He seems to wait until we are down or about to blow it before he looks for his shot. To be among the great pgs, he needs to carry his team when they are struggling.
    Another thing I've noticed is that he doesn't drive as much. Last year he drove inside and finished strong. This year, when he drives he does a pretty good job at finishing but he doest drive often. I don't know if it is because he doesn't get any calls when he drives? I guess he drives enough, I would just like to see him drive more.

The ugly:

TURNOVERS: Many times during the game, lowry plays out of control and tries to force passes that aren't there. Sometimes he gets the aaron brook sickness and jumps up with nowhere to pass. When he's driving he tries to throw bouncepasses between multiple defenders.

There are only a few things stopping lowry from becoming a star pg like cp3 and dwill. These things include looking for his shot more often, making the smart passes, and limiting turnovers. I think he will eventually fix these problems and they are probably because of the transition of becoming the leader and primary option on the team. Once he figures it out, look out nba we have a superstar.

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry is playing awesome basketball at the moment, I believe that he is on the verge of stardom...I hope Dwight takes notice.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I would like him to look for his shot more in the waning minutes, but I don't think he's quite at the point where he can create for himself a high percentage shot.

Though I see him improving that part of his game. He's worked in a nice cross-over dribble and a fadeaway.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Every time I think he has peaked, he gets a little better.

We are lucky to have him.

DD

5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Do u think he is better than aaron brooks ? :grin:

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

About the turn overs.

I think it's 50/50 on him and the other players.

I've seen passes fly pass an open K-mart cutting to to basket but Martin didn't look for the ball. I've seen balls damn near surprise players and they end up fumbling with it.

7. conquistador#11

by far the most valuable asset in Maury's pocket.

Impressed by how much he has worked to improve his shooting.

8. DaDakota

I think right now, yes, but I think back when the arguments were going on, no.

Lowry has improved his shooting a ton which makes him a better player, because he is better at assists and much better at defense.

But with that particular team and starting Battier, Hayes and Ariza, they needed Brooks ability to create good shots for himself more than Lowry's ability to create shots for crappy shooters like those I meantioned above.

So, short answer is yes, Lowry is better, today.

DD

9. DaDakota

That is always the PGs fault, he has to make sure they are looking for the ball.

But I don't worry about turnovers that much as most teams dominate players turn it over a lot.

Lowry is doing so much in other areas like rebounds etc, that a little under 4 turnovers a game is not that big of a deal.

DD

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lowry has become a damn good player. I wish he would look to take the shot more at the end of games, he is our clutchest player. I was screaming at the TV at the end of the Spurs and NOH games when he would not even attempt to make his own shot, when everyone else was blowing it.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I give you kudos for the thread title, RedNation, although were I doing this and had the skills, an image of Lowry on the court with Clint's head on his body would have been the topper. ;-)-

12. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Sigh...

Brooks was beautiful to watch. Lowry's dagger 3's only remind of him Brooks. He shot those 3's like layups. Especially the ones from the parking lot. He was quick, nimble, and finished better. I remember him having a solid teardrop too.

Kyle Lowry does much of the same things but with much better defense and better court vision. He doesn't shoot the 3 as often as Brooks, nor is he as fluid as Brooks, but that's no fault of his. They're built differently. And I'll take the defense over fluid offense any day.

1 person likes this.
  13. gah

gah Member

My dream Lowry would:

-Become an elite passer. He is very good but not up there with the Nashes, Carltons and Blondes of the world.
    -Clean up his turnovers to a clip of 3.5 assist to 1 t/o ratio. Dragic saved us (and him) from that ugly almost t/o when he made that miracle shot.
    -Get into the lane at will and shoot, drive or pass from there, it's a matter of having elite handles but I love when PGs get down there and pick defenses apart.
    -Continue to be and to improve as our go to guy in the clutch, as long as no other option emerges.

This dream Lowry would be in the convo for best PG in the league, the real version of him is only a tier below and I'm happy with that.

14. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Lowry is a better finisher, Brooks was only good at putting a spin on the ball. He was not the good at finishing in traffic, that is why he started to pick and pop.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Brooks also avoided contact while Lowry draws fouls and gets to the line.

16. Knetk30

Knetk30 Member

Lowry needs to develop a reliable teardrop floater like CP3 or a running jumpshot like Steve Nash. Once he has that in his arsenal, he will be unstoppable.

Fortunately, Lowry is someone who appears cognizant of his weaknesses and tries to improve himself in the offseason. I would bet big money the floater will be his signature shot down the road.