1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We will make the playoffs, we will finish 4th, and here is why..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

It's funny how all these posts talking about fans exagerrating one win are followed by replies like this that are equally exaggerated. Portland worlds ahead of us lol??

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If guys like Dragic and Pat upped their game, without someone else falling off, then you are basically saying the same thing I am. The bench would become a force.

3. TheRaymond

TheRaymond Member

This is an ill informed post. We dominated San Antonio, which forced Pop to pull his players in the middle of the fourth quarter, not halfway through the game. And the Atlanta win was the 2nd night of a back to back for us too.

At least watch the games if you are going to call someone out.

Also saw other people call the Memphis loss a bad loss. Randolph was stupid that night, and Memphis is a good team when he is playing.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

What will be will be. The Dalembert addition gives the Rockets a chance, but currently, the team looks really out of sync, the bench is horrible, and they appear to running on fumes. I don't see any great reason for either optimism or despair. They are certainly not "hot" or in a "grove" but that could change. Right now they are playing some UGLY basketball, they just happen to be winning because of a cupcake schedule. And that will change Saturday.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Although i do believe that we will finish higher than 8th, 4th is a bit of a stretch.

7. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

It's just to many good teams in the west for the rockets to make the playoffs. Without a go to scorer the rockets will falter down the stretch.

8. RayStats34

RayStats34 Member

I feel when the offense bogs down we should give it dalembert hes shown an ability to score from the post which he seems to have learned from mchale.He could be th go to guy or at the very least its worth a shot.

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Dragic has been disappointing besides the 2 starts he had. Scola ad PatPat has been just as disappointing. They hardly grab any boards. I believe Martin, Dragic and Pat will regain their form in some time. But I think Scola has had it. We need Jefferson without giving up Martin.

Bud and Hill need to be replaced with guys who can contribute during the playoffs.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Curious , if you think they finish better than 8th - Of the 9 teams ahead of them , what teams do they displace to reach 8th or better ?

OKC
    San Antonio
    LA Clippers
    Denver
    Utah
    LA Lakers
    Portland
    Dallas
    Memphis

To be honest , I dont think they are better than any of those teams listed and have to wonder if Minny , Pheonix or maybe even Golden State might pass them.

1 person likes this.
  11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

4th seed is incredibly unrealistic unless we can somehow win this division. We're more likely going to finish 7th or 8th and our ceiling is the 6th seed. Really hope we can avoid the 8th seed somehow so we don't have to face OKC in the first round.

12. RocketFan#1

RocketFan#1 Member

In your opinion maybe. For what that's worth. :rolleyes:

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This may sound homerish, but i can actually see them beating out SA, Clippers and possibly Lakers. With the way things have been going so far this season.

14. ashishduh

The only teams that "on paper" should finish ahead of a best-case Rockets team are OKC and DEN (2 deepest teams in the west, will undoubtedly have the top 2 records in the west) and the 2 LA teams (high upside and arguably the 2 most talented teams in the west, but no depth).

All other teams have shown significant decline (SA/DAL), major injuries (SA/MEM), or are average teams to begin with and haven't shown anything special (POR/UTA).

Basically I'm saying the Rockets could win this division and get #4.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The West is stacked.... 10 or more teams are competing for the playoffs

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I had a feeling people would see average basketball and see it as more than what it is. If we end up in the playoffs it will be because teams across the Western conference have fallen off a little bit and the Rockets have made minor improvements to their roster. I dont know that it means they can compete in the playoffs though. I see no direction that says they will do anything to get better as well. I guess to some thats exciting but I want hope for bigger things eventually at some point for this team.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is always easier to scream for bigger things behind a screen but one has to understand that the way to greatness has its obstacles and could be a long one. Even Miami didn't win in their first year with 2 superstars and 1 half star.
    It takes time and luck.

18. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Dallas lost two this week on last second shots, that's luck. They could easily win their next 6 games putting them at 15-7. If you don't think they've played a tough schedule, take a look (Mia, Den, both La's, OKC twice) Without question they end the season several games ahead of us in the standings.

San Antonio despite losing Ginobili isn't going to go from best record in the West to a floating around .500 team. Even with their inexcusable loss to the Kings, they're still 10-6, again without arguably their best player.

Portland, lost @ Hou in overtime, @ San Antonio @ Atlanta, to Orlando. How could anyone look at that and see disappointment simply because those games were so close together? They weren't losing at home to the Warriors and Pistons, they played good teams mostly on the road and lost some close games. Again with the schedule, they could easily win their next 8 games and put them at 17-6.

Memphis, they're just a better team, playoffs last year showed anyone that.

I won't argue Utah, don't think they're a very good team myself. Although on initial inspection it seems they have a better record right now.

La
    La
    Sa
    Dal
    Okc
    Mem
    Por
    Den

In no order are better teams than the Rockets.

19. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Rockets don't have 3 players combined as good as James, let alone Wade and Bosh. I wouldn't think comparing us to them is a good way to make an argument.

20. ashishduh

All that reasoning you just used could apply to the Rockets, so the point is moot.

-All their losses have been to very good teams including an OT loss.
    -They have only lost 1 game at home and that was without Lowry.
    -Almost exact same tough schedule as that Mavs tough schedule (OKCx2, both LA on road, etc).