1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Thunder are trying to stay alive in Dallas -- it's Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Daryl Morey on the Rockets 2009 Lottery "Bust" Pickups

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

1. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

Did Morris get the opportunity to to kick ass from day one or did we ship him to the d-league. When Thabeet got here, did he get an opportunirty or did we ship him to the d-league. When t-will got here, did he get an opportunity, or was he parked at the end of the bench.

Now all of a sudden, the fans expect these players who have been largely ignored and treated like crap to all of a sudden put on their superman cape and start performing miracles on a nightly basis

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Me not mad. Me stating a fact.

3. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

T-Will and Parsons running that sf position mix and matching dunks will be fun, dont lie

Also Thabeet blocking someone and stuffing down a huge dunk will be fun.

Thabeet needs time to get comfortable on the court, remember he just recently started playing bball. Now compare him to Bynum, who has been playing his whole life and working with Kareem on his development. Look how long it took him

4. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

You know who else got pampered and given a ton of minutes when he wasnt earning or deserving any single one. Andrew Bynum and well, look at him. You see potential in someone, you give them a time range for that potential to come out. You set them to work with the best. You dont punish them for every little mistakes or send them to the d-league until they have maxed out their time at the d-league or keep them on the bench until a random game, when u expect them to go in and start dunking on everyone

5. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

Flynn never got a chance, the only reason we got him was cos Minnesota want a new slate for Rubio. But here is Morey again to the rescue, stockpiling average players at every position and making a mess of it.

You want Thabeet to be 3rd string behind Jordan Hill and Dalembert- No wonder he hasnt been giving any effort. I dont blame him

Terrence also got beaten out by frigging Budinger. Cut me a break here Morey. Budinger got beaten by Parsons, and Terrence took the fall for that.

Jordan Hill has maxed out his potential. I actually think he hit peak last season. There is nothing else in his tank that we haven't seen yet. If he didnt make it in New York with all the fanfare that comes with being a lottery pick, I doubt he will make it anywhere else- let alone Texas

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Flynn had two years in Minnesota. Let's just say that the Timberwolves fans are not exactly grieving he's gone, even before Rubio showed up.

You mean, that if Thabeet can't beat Jordan Hill, than he's perfectly justified in pouting? I mean, it's not that he can't beat Jordan Hill - The guy can't even beat Jeff Adrien for playing time. Do you honestly think that Kevin McHale would be playing a 6'6'' not great PF if Thabeet was near HIS level?

7. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

It doesn't. The large part of their trade value is that they all expire this year. Thabeet alone is over 6 mil expiring. None of these guys were getting an extension of their rookie contract that's why we took a flier on them.

8. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

I meant in Houston especially after the Dragic trade. Flynn suits a starter role where he can control the game, something Lowry is doing and doing great. Dragic on the other hand can be the spark off the bench and score points. Flynn had no chance in Houston

Did you honestly think Andrew Bynum was the best center on the Lakers squad those years when he was the starter or when he was getting significant minutes as a backup? Do you think Phil Jackson would leave a 7'3 defensive option on the bench and play 6'5 chuck hayes or 6'6 jeff adrien in a real game no matter how much does guys busted ass in practice?

9. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

So we practically wasted draft pick, money and players (ok players) for no reason. Not only that, with the lack of playing time for development and showcasing their skills or lack of skills to a new team that might give them a new contract, we also wasted these players time. One more feather in Morey's cap, another reason players will stay away from Houston in free agency.

10. SupermoochieFro

I don't get the,"being beat out by other players" when it comes to TWill. He's the only one of the '09 guys that looks like he deserved minutes. He's looked just as good as Bud but with more versatility. His shot looks A LOT better and he brings D. Plus, he doesn't look anymore wild than Dragic this year.

11. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Brad Miller, expiring Shane Battier and a conditional first rounder for cap space in 2013. Doesn't really look like we "wasted" anything there. Low risk/ high reward isn't that what we've come to understand as the Morey strategy? Look for one of more of these players to be included in a trade come February. Then we'll judge what we wasted. As far as wasting the players' time I have to laugh at that. If they weren't doing their best during the lockout to improve their game that's their fault, not the organizations.

12. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I think the other big fallacy here is that developement is done on the floor. It simply is not. Young players develope during the summer and in practice. You watch film to help you understand the tendencies of other players, the rest is mental. Performing when you're on the big stage and wanting to compete. T-Will has had three different coaches and the result had been the same. This is professional basketball, in what other job would someone get three years to keep making the same fundemental mistakes?

The difference between Parsons and TWill is all in-between their ears. More floor time will not change that.

1 person likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The major thing that set him apart from Bud was that he still did alot of the things that the coaches and management told him not to do. He did marginally well, but didnt do alot of the small things that wins you minutes. That being said, Terrence still looked pretty solid which is what Morey did state yesterday on 1560. Its not as much about Terrence as it was with Parsons playing that much better.

But back to things that Terrence needed to work on that he still showed signs of reverting back to this year. Morey himself went on 610 last year at the end of the season and said these are the things Terrence needs to do to get back on the court.

-overly passive
    -more activity(dont stand there waiting for the ball)
    -make the simple effective pass/not flashy cross court pass
    -work on shot (which he did, but did not utilize... hence overly passive)
    -help defense

Those are some things you should watch for if and when Terrence gets playing time again or if you have any of the early season games recorded to watch.

I understand that you still might think he should get minutes over Bud, but Bud just fit in alot better with that second unit and has been aggressive on offense. Something Terrence has not been. Being aggressive means fighting through screens, looking for open spaces on the floor, looking for backdoor cuts, etc. If you just stand in the corner, wait for the ball, and then try to take your man one on one, thats a recipe for the splinter butt in the NBA.

I understand the fan's frustration on the T-Will situation because everyone thought that the Rockets finally had a superstar athlete that could make the Rockets relevant again, but the Rockets just werent going give him the "RedStagg" pampered star treatment. He had to earn the roleplayer role first, and couldnt do all the small role player things that earn those guys minutes.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You REALLY didn't watch Flynn in Minnesota, did you?

Remember Aaron Brooks? Midget point guard, got injured, but even then still had a horrible 2010-11 season and was traded for Dragic in a deal that's currently viewed as when we won by a significant margin? Flynn's pretty similar to that Aaron Brooks. Except he's even worse, because Aaron has a jumper and wasn't as bad regarding overdribbling. The idea that he's some facilitator guy who isn't a score first dude is arguably the LAST way that you would ever describe Flynn.

Compared to Chris Mihm and Kwame Brown? No, Bynum wasn't that bad. You're also forgetting that Bynum was a high school prospect, which means that there's more leeway with him developing. Not so much with a junior prospect like Thabeet - how many juniors out there whom are showcased as raw prospects as opposed to a freshman or sophomore actually become great players, anyways?

Secondly, I really can't help but wonder what kind of ball player you were if you were the kind who would pout if your coach didn't acknowledge you. I didn't play basketball, but my experience with sports when I was younger was that my coach would naturally pay the most attention to the guys whom were good. If you wanted to be the best, show that you deserved to be in the top lane, then you kicked the ass of everyone who was in your group and then showed that you deserved it. That was how it worked.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Do you have a mental disability. If you do I am not judging you but you may want to let your caretaker know that you are posting on a public site.

1 person likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think Max meant you (hope not). Someone else seems to be mad, though...

17. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

It's hilarious that Thabeet isn't even the best '09 rookie big man from UConn on our bench, didn't know that till today.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i was completely kidding.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lol, I gave him rep...

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Is this the "Why RedStaag is a Rookie" thread? I just wanted to be apart of it all. Come to think of it, we should all be pampering this man to ensure his HoF status as a member of ClutchFans. Keeping him at the end of the bench like this is detrimental his growth as a forum member.