1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Van Halen to Record First Studio Album in 12 Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The new Tattoo song doesn't really do anything for me personally. It's not something I would listen to over and over and it doesn't have the same feel of classic VH. It's not a horrible song but it seems too long. I don't feel like the solo blew me away for an Eddie solo, either. The song wasn't bad but it wasn't great imo. It just seems like an average VH song and felt more like a "B" side song. If that is is supposed to be a single hit off the new album, then I'm not really feeling it. I did like it a little more on the second hearing.

I went to their last concert with Roth in Dallas...which was originally post-poned and played at a later date. It was a good show as it was a hits show. I doubt I will go this time around...unless the new album just blows everyone away when it comes out...cause they will be focusing on new album material this tour I'm sure.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Watch that goofy Tattoo thing and then watch this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G6O9mCgEAE4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Yeah, that was... similar. It could also be worse... I think. It's like they're in the same band.

They should just get it over with and put out a double album, with a Roth Disc and a Hagar disc. That or have a caged deathmatch. Two bands enter, one band leaves.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I liked it better when I just listened to it without watching that weird video. Give it another try.

5. Surfguy

I only listened to it and didn't see the video. I will give it another try as the sound quality from the links I was using was pretty bad. I know it will sound better but I just didn't dig the overall groove of the new song. It felt like Dave's vocals stood out over the guitar and the guitar was in the background too much for my tastes. Dave doesn't have a good enough voice to carry the song. He was basically talking through it. The classic stuff...the guitar was more at the front of the sound imo. It's just one song, though, so it's not necessarily going to mean I don't like any of the songs on the new album. And, of course, it can still grow on me. I have to listen to Rush quite a few times to "get it"...but I always do end up getting it. I've always had to play Rush over and over before I fully get it...since way back when. I'm just not high on VH these days and maybe some of that bias is part of the issue.

6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised "we're completely broke and have no talent left, but will sell millions because we're Van Halen" album.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'll be surprised if any of their new stuff is as good as "Me Wise Magic". Just looking at the song titles, it sounds like they're trying too hard.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that =vh= will make way more $$$ from their tour than selling the new album. And =vh= did not need a new album to tour.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That single is awful.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the album. I agree with Ima, it'll be good to hear some rock songs with real guitar solos.

I'm not really digging the single however.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Truth!

13. Surfguy

What Eddie should have done and put on the new album is another pure guitar solo song, i.e. along the vein of "Eruption 2" or something new!

"Eruption" is one of those songs that influenced everyone. It would be nice if he could do something just as good again. But, guess it wasn't in the cards.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I only heard a little of the single and wasn't too impressed, however, i've heard that it grows on you if you listen to it a few times.

15. Souprocket

Souprocket Contributing Member

Never-Before-Seen Van Halen! “You Really Got Me” Acoustic

<object classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0' width='320' height='270' id='yfop'><param name='movie' value='http://d.yimg.com/m/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf' /><param name='flashvars' value='id=v223429483&shareEnable=1' /><embed src='http://d.yimg.com/m/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf' width='320' height='270' name='yfop' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' flashvars='id=v223429483&shareEnable=1'></embed></object>

despite the facts, this is really cool.

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/01/18/never-before-seen-van-halen-you-really-got-me-acoustic/

#95 Souprocket, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  16. Souprocket

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ready to get my tickets to the Houston show Saturday morning.

Speaking of which....

I really like Van Halen. And I really like Kool and the Gang. But Van Halen and Kool and the Gang on the same bill? Really??

I mean, I like Rage Against the Machine and I also like Mozart, but I'm not sure how I would like seeing them on the same night...

18. Souprocket

That has to be 100% Dave. Considering it was Bob Marley's kid last time it's not too far off the track.

Pretty much all of this new stuff is really old stuff so far. That last one was for an 80's movie the wild life.

http://youtu.be/qe1X3yOWhdA

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

$175 for anything not in the upper prom (taking into account service charges). Who the **** do they think they are? No ****ing way am I spending that much to see those fools. I paid $100 last time and it wasn't worth it. EVH just sits in one spot the whole time and DLR is goofy as hell now. Then you have Hugo Reyes on bass and Mike Anthony's vocals taped in the background. F you Ed. Take a lesson from KISS. Their stage show is still top notch (and way more expensive to put on compared to yours) and they don't charge an arm and a leg.

20. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

In their defense, they have to capitalize quickly because they probably won't get along very long, if they do at all.