1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA League Pass - Rockets coverage problems (Attn: Houston Rockets)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I live in Austin, and I have used Dish Network with the NBA League Pass for several years with only minor complaints. In the past, Rockets vs. Spurs games that were played in San Antonio have been blacked out due to their proximity to Austin, but that is it. Every other Rockets game was shown in Austin.

This year, I again purchased the League Pass, and here is what has happened so far:
    Game 1 @ Orlando - televised
    Game 2 vs San Antonio - blacked out on League Pass, I had to purchase 2 additional sports packages to watch it
    Game 3 @ Memphis - blacked out on League Pass, spent 1 hour on phone with Dish Network and it miraculously appeared on League Pass 1/3 through game after being told it was blacked out
    Game 4 vs Atlanta - Dish Network says it will be blacked out on League Pass
    Game 5 @ LA - Dish Network says it will be blacked out on League Pass

Basically, I paid for League Pass, and that has given me access to 1 of the first 5 games. I'm being told by Dish Network that in addition to games played in San Antonio being blacked out, games can also be blacked out due to regional networks purchasing rights to the game. The problem is, Dish Network can only tell me which games are blacked out for about 1 week in advance, so I have absolutely no idea if I'm going to get 10 games this season or 62.

I like being able to record the games to watch at a later time, having the games in HD, and not having to worry about how I get the coverage. I want it to be easy, and I'm willing to pay for it. This is especially frustrating because this is a short season and the League Pass is the same price as a regular 82 game season.

THIS IS ONLY DIRECTED TO PEOPLE IN AUSTIN: Has anyone had the same problems? Does anyone have HD service where this is not an issue?

1 person likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Huh, that is not the same as Time Warner here in Austin. The only blacked out game was the Spurs and those are usually on KNVA in Austin.

Memphis was fine, and it shows the Hawks as being on tomorrow too.

Maybe you can change your address to somewhere else, and it will clear up?

DD

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I had the exact same problem last year... In TUCSON, AZ! So many games were blacked out.

4. Doctor Robert

Good to know... I've had it with hearing someone from Dish Network read from a script to me on a 1 hour phone call while I fantasize about running them over in my car.

Anyone with Grande?

5. DaDakota

Cable or Dish Network?

Maybe it is just a dish network thing?

Also Doc Rob, have you activated the free League pass broadband that comes with it?

You can probably watch the games in HD on your computer instead...

DD

6. Doctor Robert

No, but I'll give that a try just to see what happens. I typically never watch stuff on my computer.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Cable (comcast). It really soured me to the whole league pass thing as a whole.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i have time warner, it's on 916.

time warner's guide is crap. the spurs vs rockets on hd was labeled as "NHL Hockey"

9. DaDakota

It was on FSN?

Dang I didn't even bother checking.

DD

10. Doctor Robert

I'm a bit confused, because I thought blackouts were decided by the NBA on a regional basis. How is one carrier having different blackouts than another?

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've had my last 2 Rockets game blacked out including todays game. WTF!

12. E_Saiyan

E_Saiyan Member

The last two games have been blacked out for me too. I've had NBALP for years and have been able to watch every game except those against the Mavs. I live in Dallas and have TWC. This is balony. Same thing happened to me with the Texans this year (this was due to the cowboys playing at the same time I think).

13. TMacAttack

TMacAttack Member

Yeah we have League Pass through Time Warner in Dallas. Today's gave vs Washington was blacked out? And from what I understand it is based on which network has the rights to broadcast the game. The only problem is I could not find the game through their TV guide. Is channel 916, or something around there, always the channel it will be on? Thanks.

14. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I live in Austin and had U-Verse w/ the premium sports package on top of League Pass last year, and every game that was available through the sports package was blacked out on League Pass. The sports package had nearly all of the Fox Sports regional channels from coast to coast, so for example, the Lakers would be available on FSN West through my sports package & blacked out on LP. Not sure, but this may be the root cause of your problem since you have "2 additional sports packages" plus LP.

As DD mentioned, you may want to try LP Broadband on your computer and see if the programming's jacked on that format, as well. I bought LP Broadband this season, and only the SA games have been blacked out.

Good luck, man.

15. Sandi

Sandi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have League Pass here in Austin....thru Time Warner. The only games that have been blacked out were games with SanAntonio....playing in SanAntonio. They have been available on Fox, though....just have to endure listening to San Antonio broadcasters. I have had League Pass every year for as long as it has been available here in Austin and the games IN SanAntonio are the only ones I recall ever being blacked out.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Same thing with me, this is the first year I've had an issue with this. Previously, only nationally and locally broadcast games were blacked out, not this random crap.

Talked to Time Warner and they couldn't give me any explanation at all, just that certain games are blacked out but they could tell me which one either, such garbage.....

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I live in Dallas as well and have TWC. I called and spoke about 6 reps from Time Warner who had no clue what was going on, and had no answer. Ended up having to watch the game on some crap website. Not a happy camper today.

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i live in austin area. i am using dish network and league pass. i don't have any problem. except vs san antonio, i can watch all games.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its just the last two games with Time Warner that have randomly been blacked out for no reason, and nobody at TW can do anything about it. I had Dish a couple years ago and never had any issues. When I move here in the next couple months I will do everything in my power to stay away from Time Warner.

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

the cable has limited number of channels dedicated to NBALP. if more than the max # of channels games are played at same time, they have to black out some games to make it work.

dish network allocates alot more than the cable so i've never had problem.