1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

lets get Jeff VanGundy to coach these guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fallingwaters, Dec 1, 2002.

1. fallingwaters

fallingwaters Member

no disrespect to coach Tomjanovich; but it is clear that he has completely lost control of this team. these guys are running out there with no sense for how to actually play the game. it's horrible watching the night after night jacking up horrible shots. the only thing i feel sorry for are the rims they are shooting on. i think VanGundy will be able to get these guys back to playing real team basketball with tuff defense; if anything..it can't be any worse then what i've had to watch.

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Red Auerbach and Dicky V. are available too, hell what is Dan Pastorini doing these days?

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Van Gundy couldn't control New York. IMO the Rockets are playing great defense this year minus tonights game. The defense can't get any better than this.

4. eattoomuch

eattoomuch Member

man what are you talking about? if anything, JVG was over-controlled NY,.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I am glad somebody responded to the thread that I started 30 minutes ago in a new thread. Please take the time to make sure we are not double posting

6. BmwM3

Tell me why Jeff Van Gundy quit coaching for the Knicks than??

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

We welcome you as the newest administrative member of the 'clutch crew'.:confused:

Is there anything else we need to do oh wise one?

8. studogg

He was about to die from the stress of watching management destroy the team with bad contracts. i.e. Allen Houston

they never improved the team after the flukish finals

9. studogg

not right now, but maybe later

10. eattoomuch

eattoomuch Member

look at their record. I guess that he jumped the ship.

11. Shrimpie

Shrimpie Member

There was a recent article on JVG on espn, sorry can't find the link. Here are what I can remember from that article:

JVG sucked up to Ewing and L. J. to keep his job.
    JVG's offense depends heavily on ISO (same as what ppl here are complaining about Rudy). That's why his team got into the final in the shortened season, ISO will burn your star player out in a long season.
    JVG lost control of his team. He quit after some squabbling with Sprewell.

In summary, JVG is no better a coach than Rudy. We have to find someone else even if Rudy has to be replaced.

Shrimpie.

12. BmwM3

Thats Exactly what I am saying. JVG isn't a better coach than Rudy.He lost control of his Knicks

13. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

He quit because he knew the franchise was going nowhere. The deals I am talking about are the Allan Houston deal, Howard Eisley deal, and Shandon Anderson deal. I'm sure he anticipated the futile McDyess attempt, or something similar. The Dolans are idiots. Thats the main reason he left.

I'll tell you something though he'd teach this team how to play defense...and he sure as hell would let Yao take over.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm not sure how going 2-3 on a very difficult 5-game road trip qualifies as having lost the team. Even playoff teams average .500 on the road.

This is a team that cannot shoot to save its life. Wide open shots are clanking all over the place. It's horrible. Yet, other than the game in Sacramento, the Rockets have been in every single game on this trip thanks to their defense.

So, again, not sure how this qualifies as losing a team.

15. studogg

For years we have watched complacently while our team has missed the playoffs. We have created excuses for our poor play. And while the excuses may have some validity, i.e. injuries, they have simply been excuses. Rudy has not been coaching well or the players are not responding to him. As a business man you must be on the fringe making decisions or you will get left behind. It is time for Les to seriously ponder how well his management team is performing and if he should move to a new C.E.O. of the team. Rudy should not have a free ride until Yao develops. Dell Harris was not given a free ride in L.A. until the Lakers decided to start playing. I know there is no guru like Silly Philly Jackson out there, but maybe a hard worker like Van Gunmby could do the trick.

It kills me to say that Rudy is not a great coach, but I do believe he rode a brilliant Olajuwon to two championships. I know Rudy is a master motivator of the undertalented, but I don't think he can Lead the superstars

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Not that I'm screaming fire Rudy yet, but I do have to defend JVG.
    The dude was a great coach, the franchise made a lot of bad decision that gave him a really really bad team and guessed what? he still gave them a good shot at winning and when he even had a remotelly good team, they won big time. The reason he quit was because of the stress level period. When he quitted, the Knicks were at .500 exactly, they they became everyones b--h after he quitted that same season, that in it self shows how good of an coach he is.

17. Rockets711

Rockets711 Member

I feel the same way that Rudy don't know how to coach this team.

18. lycqf

lycqf Member

Rudy T only aperaed his anger at court side with Ref. Do you know why? Decades ago painful experience taught him a lesson. Never get mad at palyer.

19. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

how about Kelvin Murphy?

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

huh? He had his players commit themselves on defense, the ultimate sign of a coach having control.