1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much do D-League players make?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OldfanofTmac, Jan 8, 2012.

1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

just wonderin what the average is if anybody knows...

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

3. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

4. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

is that a joke? thats there yearly salary? damn thats low..

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With room and board, it isn't too bad considering you get to do what you love...

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

They are D-League players...
    If you think about it 24k to play the game of basketball is amazing considering what other kind of jobs net you 24k...

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

So what's his name came out of retirement to get paid 12-24k?

8. LFE171

LFE171 Member

[​IMG]

this guy?

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

In most cases people dont care about the money they earn in the d-league. They can all earn a lot more money if they played in China or Europe. The reason they stay in the d-league is for a chance to get a contract in the NBA

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I remember reading an article where Pittsnoggle said he makes just as much, if not more, as a middle school teacher than as a D-League player.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nb...middle_school_making_as_much_as_dleaguer.html

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think 12-24 is the average. I'm pretty sure ive read some make 40-50 k.

13. sinobball

sinobball Member

It's true, but the chance is not significantly higher. Mike Harris played 3 seasons in China and actually had four 10-day contracts in those 3 seasons immediately after the Chinese season is over. He played 1 season in the D-league and had two 10-day contracts in that 1 season despite winning MVP.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I still think the NBA, NBDL, and NCAA would all benefit from:

-a new rule where players that accept a basketball scholarship are ineligible for the draft for 3 years

-NBDL teams are given a ($125k) salary exception each year, non-guaranteed to offer to what are currently the one-and-done players who aren't interested in college for anything other than a stepping stone to the NBA.

Elite future pros can get a more tailored preparation for the NBA and less pampering than they would as BMOC. They get paid fairly and can get an agent for marketing deals and loans if they need extra cash...but can/will be cut if they show up with an out of control attitude. Players are better challenged against tougher athletes rather than being a man against boys.

NCAA gets back to what it's supposed to be about - student athletes, staying for at least 3 years and getting an education. Back to more classic team ball and less Calipari 27-IQ iso ball. A little less pay-for-play or fudged test score scandals.

NBA gets serious up close looks at the 18-19 y/o draft prospects that forego the NCAA, and can evaluate them against lower end NBA talent and systems.

NBDL spends much more money....but absolutely makes it back in the box office. Virtually no one cares now...but what if you had the chance to see the next big thing on his way up? I know I'd be fairly interested. You'd probably even see an occasional ESPN broadcast or two.

And for emphasis, only talking about the one and done guys here. The ones that would declare out of high school if they could. This isn't a big percentage of guys, and none of them would be going to college if they had a choice about it.

1 person likes this.
  15. dequinix

dequinix Member

$25k for a four-month season in the NBDL? That pro-rates to $75k excluding room and board. That's solid considering, as mentioned above, they get to do what they love while keeping their NBA hopes alive.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yes! Ostertag.

Damn his face still makes me angry. I wonder why he's decided to come out of a peaceful life to running with the D-Leagers.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

seems in line with what minor league baseball players make...and minor league hockey.

it's not bad for a four month season. unless the DLeague revenues justify more I don't see a problem here. Does anyone even watch the games?

18. Quickman

Quickman Member

So what if they are already an NBA player who got demoted to the D-League? For example, if Thabeet went back this season would he get paid his NBA contract or a D-League one during his time there?

19. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

This probably needs some tweaking but I love the premise.

20. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

was gonna ask that as well. Do they still get paid their nba salary while playing in the dleague?