1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember when this board....

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by boki94eva, Nov 30, 2002.

1. boki94eva

boki94eva Member

Remember when this board used to be full of threads worth reading? Remember when Clutch, Jeff, Will, Heyp, Achebe, Doc and many others used to post the best inside Rockets news and updates? Remember when they broke so many stories...about the Clyde-Barkley feuds, the Pippen deal, the Francis trade? I've been visiting this site, the best fan site ever, since 1997....it got me through being in college in Boston, so far away from Calvin and Bill and being able to watch my Rockets. But now, I feel like I never see anything but ridiculous posts from 15 year old computer geeks who have nothing better to do than propose Moochie Norris for Shaq trades in their threads. Can we do something about this? Can we self-regulate our urges to post just for the hell of it? Can some of us just search for a clue?

I hope so. Because, the trend that is growing on this BBS is disturbing. Please, lets get back to serious discussions and legitimate topics. Have fun, but try to keep one eye on reality. Its killing the spirit of the board.

2. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I'm with you on this one. The problem is with a BBS, there's only so much the administrators can do (Clutch has already mentioned he's spending too much time on this), so self-regulation by posters is the only way.

Unfortunately, with such an influx of fans as has occurred, it's tough. I hardly used to post, because I came to the BBS for good information, and decent insight into all things Rockets. Now, I've been posting more, in a way because I feel responsible for keeping the board as much like it was as possible. I hope that all the people who remember how good this board used to be make an effort to keep it that way.

I do think we're lucky, because we don't seem to have too many genuine trolls, but there are now a lot of uninformed posters (and I don't mean to be rude by saying that). A lot of the new posters are "one-trick ponies", in that they only talk about Yao, and nothing else.

We need more threads discussing basketball, not just player bashing. Feel there's not enough ball movement? Start a thread discussing it, and the sort of plays you think the Rockets should try to run. I feel a bit of a hypocrite here, because I can't do this (I'm not getting game tapes at the moment, and I got 2 games a week last year), but it's the sort of constructive, enjoyable discussion that made me come here in the first place.

Oh, and this thread should probably be in the feedback forum, although I understand why you posted it here:D

3. ScreamingRocketJet

VERY true. I used to read just about every post a few years ago.

Now, it's hard to find one that doesn't seem started by a 12 yo kid.

Some of the posts today are simply stupid. One guys posted we should have picked Wagner instead of Yao because he out scored him today...on a day we moved to third in the west, the big man altered shots all day, gave out 5 assists...as Will said, he'll be a tripple double threat every night in a few years. EVERY team in the NBA wishes they had Ming.

Most the new posters would prefer a guy with 40 tats to a guy who can pass out of a double team...:rolleyes:

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

And also don't forget someone said Yao Ming sucks coz he has only scored 6 points tonight.

5. gram!

gram! Member

yeah. i posted something about this before, it is maddening to read this board. i get so pissed off by some of the r****dED things that are posted here, i end up having to leave the computer. now, the only time i post is to berate some fool who suggest the francis sucks or that yao ming is god. whatever happened to moderation?

actually, i just read less and less.

6. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Ya, I remember when this board used to be full of threads worth reading............... but im not quite sure when it was when it seemed almost obligatory to start a thread complaining about what the board has evolved into. Things change, and I for one am getting kind of tired of people who think they are going to solve things my reminiscing about the "good times". The board is never going to be the same small tight-knit community it once was. The board is now bigger, but this is not necessarily bad. More people means more perspectives, including broader cultural representation. Of all these new perspectives there will be the fair share of slow and simple people, but this is something that can be dealt with.

Im just asking to stop bashing and start contributing to make things better rather than adding to the problem.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, :( , this board used to be really special, at least the Rockets section, but now that the wagon has hit the board I haven't seen too many threads my Jeff, Heypee, RocketsMan95, Keeley, or Achebe

:(

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

DrewP,

Well said.

... and the kid's only 16.

9. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

This board is going down fast. :( There used to be so many intelligent posts, and now the Yao bandwagoners, Yao haters, and Steve haters are posting incredibly stupid stuff. :( I still love this board but it isn't what it used to be. It also used to be great, because it was like you knew all of the frequent posters, since there were less members. Now they are some posters with like 3000 posts that I don't even recognize when I read their threads. I like having a lot of members, since there are more view points, but most of the time people post idiotic things.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

TheReasonSF3,

Go find a mirror.

11. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Huh?

12. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

He's inferring that you represent everything you are complaining about.

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I know what he was saying, but I don't agree. :(

14. Holden

Holden Member

oh hell yeah. i love players with tats. we need to trade collier for cherokee parks right away. i love that guy..

the board was better before...it was better when the rockets were losing.. now they are a successful team and a lot of people want to jump on the bandwagon. would you trade "the quiet peaceful board of the past and a losing team" for "the hardcore, annoying 12year old board and an exciting playoff team"? you cant really have your cake and eat it too.

i miss the old board, i get annoyed sometimes, and ive complained about it. but you can only do it for so long.
    life is all about change..and you just have to deal with it..roll with the punches..and all that garbage...

no more nostalgia..
    it is what it is

15. kbm

kbm Member

boki94eva,

Ask yourself this: have I read this type of thread before? If yes, then ask yourself do I really need to create a new thread to voice this information? I mean I understand what you are saying; I really do, but dude there are at least 100 more threads like this one. Why not post in those?

The fact is I don't know anyone on the board who makes great posts all the time. Neither do I know anyone who always follows the rules. I do know that everyone who has and does complain about the board has been guilty of what they preach against. That is a fact. Only the best posters limit their stupidity to a minimum.

You know, I 'm really starting to wonder if these threads aren't just another way for -- excuse the term -- trolls or newbies to connect with the click of choice. Yes, you say you have been here from the beginning blah blah blah. If you don't have the moniker date to prove it I can only assume that you lurked for maybe a year.

kbm

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Don't make me pull up the quotes.

17. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

What quotes? You mean the stupid mistakes in the Bush picture thread? :)

18. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

I miss the days when this board was small and one could keep up with all of the threads without having to read the board every half hour.

I do like having a lot of people posting on the board but there is just so much stuff getting posted and the mods can only do so much.

I must admit that these days I dont read these boards as much as I once did (largely because of my other commitment but still).

One thing that could help with the amount of posters and the cost of the upkeep on this board is to make viewing the board free (no registration) and charge like a $5 fee for new registrations.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

this year has produced more very good new posters than any other crop.

doesn't that stand to reason??!!

happy hunting!

20. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I was going to suggest a $2 fee for each post. I call it "Pay to Post". $5 to start a thread. ;)