1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bud Proving Clutch Critics Wrong. Again!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Jan 1, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not sure what Bud did to deserve so much venom, he was danged good after the Battier trade, and has earned the starting SF spot.

His D is much better, he is a smart savvy player, who plays team ball, if you need rebounding, he will do it, if you need shot making, he will do it, he is just a solid NBA pro.

He is not a star, nor will he ever be, but for crying out loud, what are people's expectations of a guy who is at best the 4th scoring option on the floor every single game?

You are not going to have stars at every position, but you need solid players and CBud is exactly that - does he struggle some games, well sure...so does every other NBA player...

I think the problem with a lot of posters here is their expectations, they need to recognize that CBud is doing exactly what he is asked, and does so in a professional manner, and is a great teamate.

I am proud to be a CBud fan, no matter how hard people try to tear him down, the guy keeps getting up and doing his job.

He is this team's Shane Battier, but a more offensively oriented one....and we need that.

GO CBud....keep doing our thing, you are a true Rocket !

DD

2. Htown's2kFinest

If he could just shoot consistently he'd be really good on offense and enough to be a legit starter. But when your shooter shoots 33% and worst that's terrible. He's not a good spot up shooter and that's where most of his shots come from, being spotted up. He needs to move around and cut to the rim more often. Plus he still needs to be paired up with a more defensive minded player.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I watched almost every game as well and you are not basing your oppinions on facts. The numbers don't support your lies. both his Synergy stats and his on-court vs. off-court differential were very solid, and according to 82games.com opposing small forwards had a 12.7 PER against him.

You seem to think he only has good games against scrubs? Maybe really? Are you sure you watched the games?

As a starter Bud had:
    12 point 4 assist 3 rebounds vs Spurs (Jefferson)
    15 point 4 assist 9 rebound vs. 76ers (Iggy)
    16 point 2 assist 2 rebound vs Heat (Lebron)
    18 point 2 assist 6 rebound vs Indy (Granger)
    14 point 5 assist 5 rebound vs Trailblazers (Batum)

And who can forgert his first start when he was a rookie:
    24 points 2 assist 5 rebound vs Celtics (Pierce)

The facts do not support your statements or your hate of Bud.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well said Crash !

People have been criticizing him based upon perception, and not reality. It is the most bizzare thing I have ever seen, he has been nothing short of a miracle for where he was taken in the draft.

We got a quality starter in the middle of the 2nd round...that is amazing.

Now, if someone better comes along, he will be a pro and go to the bench and contribute there - unlike other current Rocekt players.

CBud is the consumate professional, and he is WAY better than apparently a lot of people think.

DD

5. crash5179

Haters gonna hate right? Some people fall in love with their arguments and refuse to budge even when the facts are clearly not on their side.

I assume chenjy9 will bow out of the conversation at this point instead of admitting that he has been too harsh on Bud. But maybe not some people will not budge regardless of the facts.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This.

Starting Bud and Kevin is...painful. McHale can't set the team straight before every game. But they're so weak defensively. Not that Marcus or Chandler or Twill could step into the starting role now.

As you indicate, we have too much duplication and not enough starting-caliber talent (for now).

7. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Sickening how after one good game people are saying birdinger proved everybody wrong.

Budinger is what he is and that's a below average starting 3. He is not a difference maker and he is best suited as a bench player.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Interesting stuff here. Wonder what Bud's numbers are overall for all the games he's started versus the opponent's starting SF??

We are not good enough to compete at a championship level with both Bud and Martin playing side by side for 30 minutes a game.

9. crash5179

One would assume that since all of those players are considered all star caliber and two are considered MVP caliber that they also had good numbers.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am probably too harsh on him and that is because I have to talk to people who overrate him. If we were to look at him strictly from a 2nd rounder POV where he was not even suppose to pan out as an NBA player, then I would agree that he is exceeding expectations. If we are discussing this from an NBA starter POV, like I am assuming we are, then no he is trash. I regularly saw opposing SF's of ALL CALIBER blow by him at will. I don't care what the numbers say, just like I didn't care about any of the numbers AB fanboys were throwing up to try to show he was better than Lowry and not as bad a defender as people say he is. I know what my eyes showed me and it is clearly different than the story you and DD try to paint about him being a somehow magically decent defender.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Also, if I bow out of a conversation, it is because I have better things to do in life than argue on the internet with people who are wrong, especially with guys who seem to have nothing better to do in their lives but trying to argue the same point over and over and over. Sorry, but while some people can live their entire lives on the internet and in forums, I actually got other stuff to do.

12. Codeo

Codeo Member

Thread after a bad game = knee jerk

Thread after a performance we've been expecting for three games = valid

:rolleyes:

13. crash5179

Jefferson 5 pts 2 assist 1 rebound
    Iggy 9 pts 10 assists 8 rebound
    Lebron 33 pts 7 assist 10 rebounds
    Granger 16 pts 3 assists 4 rebounds
    Batum 22 pts 0 assists 4 rebounds

There was also a second game in that time frame last season with Bud as a starter where he once again scored 12 points vs. Jefferson's 10 points.

In head to head match ups you have to give the edge to Chase in all but the ones against LeBron and Batum. I think the question needs to be asked that if Chase is so bad, then why didn't those all-star caliber small forwards just absolutely school Chalse and why didn't opposing coaches game plan around attacking Bud?

14. crash5179

Trash? So is Iggy, Jefferson and Granger all trash? Really? He is solid and you know it. You are just so emotionally invested in your argument you refuse to acknowledge the facts.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Interesting that you're targeting 5 games. I was asking for all the games he started versus his opposing starting SF. I'd like to see those numbers.

Oh,......I'd take Iggy and Granger over Chase in a heartbeat....less than a heartbeat. I'm kinda shocked that you prefer Chase. Kinda laughable really.

16. crash5179

Don't get so emotional. I'm not making a personal attack just trying to add a little fact to the perception that Chase is somehow trash.

17. crash5179

I was just looking at the games with recognizable quality all star caliber small forwards that Chase started against last season. I intentionally left out games against teams like Cleveland and New Jersey when he scored 30 and 27 points respectively because I did not think those games were against valid high quality small forwards or against teams with recognized good defenses.

I don't think any of us would argue that the games i picked out were against the toughest opponents that Chase played against during his stint as a starter last season.

Who said I prefer Chase over those two? See this is how false perception gets started. I absolutely would not take Chase over Iggy or Granger, thats just you saying something for shock value trying to change the point of the debate. The point is that Chase is not as bad as the perception on this board, he was solid and consistant as a starter last season. That's the point.

#57 crash5179, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't see such splits on 82games between starting and reserve. And afaik no other sites give such detailed opponent stats. As for how CBud himself performed as a starter, you can do a search on basketball-reference.

19. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Stop trollimg. Ok I get it your a chase fan.

How about this do you think Chase should be a starter or would he be better off as a bench player.

Out of all of the sf in the NBA where would you rank chase.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good game for Budinger. The Rockets actually used his skills last night. He also hit some shots. Still would prefer him and Martin to be on court less at same time.