1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tell me something

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Dec 30, 2011.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Rudy Gay
    Dorell Wright
    Shawn Marion
    Danilo Gallinari
    Caron Butler
    Devin Ebanks
    Derrick Williams
    Trevor Ariza
    Kevin Durant
    Grant Hill
    Gerald Wallace
    John Salmons
    Richard Jefferson
    Josh Howard

Which of these dudes can Chase Budinger check?

Which of these dudes is Chase better than??

Which of these dudes can Courtney Lee check?
    Which of these dudes is Lee better than?

If you had to choose a player to defend all these guys on our roster who would it be?

This is just some of the SFs in the West. I didn't even bring up the East where Lebron, Melo, Iggy, Deng and many others play.

We have 3 guys that have enough size to defend these players. TWill, Marcus Morris, Chandler Parsons. Everybody else is either too big and slow or too small. Budinger can't defend any of these guys in my humble opinion. And while Lee is an aggressive defender, he's simply not big or long enough to defend these guys. There is a difference defensively between SF and SG. All of these guys are 6'6" to 6'9" with the exception of John Salmons. I know Chase is 6'6" but he's rail thin. He just doesn't have the size to defend these guys. Parsons, TWill, or Morris makes the most sense at SF defensively. Lee, Bud, and Martin are shooting guards.

2. Mr. Space City

we knew coming into this season we had a glaring hole at SF.

it is what it is.

LOL @ people thinking parsons is a solution tho :grin:

3. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

i wreckon devin ebanks lmao.

4. Codeo

Codeo Member

Who actually thinks Scola/Bud/Martin can coexist defensively? Bud is the weakest link, maybe not defensively, but overall. Bench or trade.

5. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Nobody thinks they can except for Morey. Morey is a stat guy but he is not a basketball guy. I'm sure Morey has stats that back up how efficient these three guys are.

Morey is obsessed with advanced stats, he's so obsessed that with the stats the he forgets about common sense. Any real GM would know that you can't start three non defenders.

Morey is the same guy who put together the least athletic front line in the history of the NBA. Battier, Scola and Hayes.

6. Garner

Garner Member

Chase + parsons = Andre Drummond

1 person likes this.
  7. gah

gah Member

To be honest, defensively this year Scola has been the weakest link out of those three, he is a glaring liability under the basket, so help me God I haven't even seen him taking a charge this year.

8. Codeo

Codeo Member

Defensively, I agree and am not sure that a championship team is possible with Scola in your starting lineup.

9. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

sign Andrei Kirilenko

10. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Is he a free agent? He's still pretty bueno.

11. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Lol he's pretty bueno when he's not injured or crying bcause somebody hurt his feelings.

12. Mr. Space City

Flop All-Stars

13. H-Town Rockets Guy

Lol. Chase should come off the bench. Let Parsons start

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The GM doesn't dictate playing time, starting lineups or rotations...the coach does that.

15. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Sounds like an NBA allstar

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Over the long haul, I'll take Chase over Dorell Wright. Dude just camps at the three point line. Budinger is tough as nails compared to Wright. Wright does less with more than about any 3 I can think of.

Probably Trevor Ariza. Ariza is great on defense, but his offense was worse than Budinger's defense. Do people not remember his momentum-killing three point penchant from his time around here?

Devin Ebanks, I think as well. Though I haven't seen enough to be positive.

I don't know if people remember, but IIRC last year Chase was shooting horribly and was playing very passively early and then got super hot for a while. People around here couldn't express the totality of their hate for him one moment, and couldn't stop gushing about him the next.

For me, ideally, he is a 1st bench scorer type who you can feed the ball when he's hot and give spot duty when he's not. He certainly doesn't bring a whole lot to the table when he's not scoring confidently. I would be interested in a lineup with a big 3 and Bud at the 2 posting up. That might be interesting.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Didn't they try to sell people on morris being a 3?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, I wish we had an all star at every position...

DD

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Chase is listed as 6'7 220, how is that rail thin?

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Another Gem of a thread created this week.

-You obviously havent really paid too much attention to Chase and the defense he has played since the All-Star break last year. He is one of the least concerning players on the Rockets roster on defense oddly enough.

Not saying he's a defensive stopper like Battier or Tony Allen, but he has done well enough.

Chase is the starting SF because of consistency. He's not the most flashy player on the roster but he executes effectively. If Morris, Twill, or Parsons deserve to earn the starting role than they need to step up and show it. McHale has gone deep into the bench night after night so far and they have the biggest shot of their careers to earn it the right way. If these guys are so much better than Chase, then prove it.