1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stromile for Eddie - who's against it!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kbm, Nov 28, 2002.

1. aries323

aries323 Member

Man... Sromile Swift got some HOPS... that dude can get up. Incredible. I've always been really high on his game.

I think he's the next Ben Wallace. He needs to put on more weight and he needs to play harder. Much harder.

The same goes for Eddie. Eddie just doesn't look strong enough physically or mentally to be playing with the big boys down low. He also IMO needs to play harder. Give it all man... otherwise you'll be sitting next to Collier.

Right now... I'd hate to trade Eddie... even for Stromile. I would probably have to think twice about Rashard LEwis. We should have pulled the trigger for Lewis and KAnderson for EG and MN.

2. MManal

MManal Member

I too have been very disappointed with the little improvement Griffin has shown this season. Playing inside in the NBA esp at the PF position requires not only the size and strength but the desire and heart to play in the paint. Eddie seems content to want to be a perimeter player and really does not make the effort to body up and play solid position defense. The guy blocks shots well, but thats about it. The fact that the opposing team can run a SF against him should raise atleast somewhat of a red flag.

This 20-10, franchise player Jermaine O'Neal talk is crazy. JO showed the ability to VERY active around the hoop in limited PT even before he came to Indy. I remember when he was a FA after his third season in Portland, several Rockets fans I spoke with want the Rockets to make a run at him b/c it was pretty obvious he would be better with more PT. Problem is, Rockets were capped out. Eddie has not shown any high energy activity level around the hoop. The guy basically blocks shots and is average to below average in several other areas. 38% FG shooting for a PF that has gotten his mins is pathetic.

That being said, I wouldnt trade Eddie for Swift. I have been a big fan of Swift's athletic ability and explosion since his LSU days, but the guy has shown the basketball IQ of a doornail in the NBA. If this team is going to make any deals, solid role players with high bball IQ need to be brought in. I would look at Battier before I looked at Swift on the Memphis team for that reason.

3. SFrancis3

SFrancis3 Member

I couldn't agree with you more Mazin. You are very knowledgeable about basketball and I wish our fantasy basketball partnership would have worked out. I apologize for that. Good post and its good to see your still active with basketball despite your fantasy dropout.

Good Luck,
    Ricky

4. kbm

kbm Member

But this is the beauty of the trade mmanal. Bonehead for Bonehead. :) We'll take yours if you take ours. The irony is that you still have a bonehead. :D

5. catoinstitute

catoinstitute Member

Leave the man (EG) alone. He has a few bad games and you all quickly say "Let's trade him." He's only 20 years old and has a lot of potential.

I also remember a lot of people saying "Trade Cato Now!" this summer and even recently. They have egg on their face now.

This board can be so fickle at times.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Houston trades: C Kelvin Cato (7.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 0.5 apg in 23.9 minutes)
    PF Eddie Griffin (9.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.9 minutes)

Houston receives: Chris Mihm ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
    SF Darius Miles (12.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 3.1 apg in 9 games)
    C Michael Stewart (0.6 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 12 games)

Change in team outlook: -3.9 ppg, -7.9 rpg, and +1.5 apg.

I would think about the trade above, but tjust thought I would throw it out there for discussion anyway. EG has been a dissapointment this whole season (not just the one or two games some people are alluding to), but there is still potential there and the fact of the matter is that there are few deals out there that could be done where you can get value for value. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie never got much better than a 12-14 ppg, 5 rpg, a couple of blocks per game player. It is really up to him. i do think the offensive system and the way he's been coached has hampered his developement somewhat though - but, I will admit to being a Rudy basher and have been of him and his system all year, so take it for what it's worth.

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

The kid will be a STUD. You will all see! He needs CONSISTENT minutes. Anybody notice his game faltering as soon as Mo came back? One of our PFs have to go, but definitely not Griffin!

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

That is an...

UNDERSTATEMENT!