1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston is a giant strip mall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Dec 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

ignorance. Washington street only popped up in the last few years as a major bar/club area

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think most of the housing, especially within walking distance/earshot of the avenue, was built at the same time Washington was blowing up. It was built for accessibility to that nightlife, not for peace and quiet. Seems the majority of the complaints are coming from people living in those pre-fab cookie cutter townhomes that sit directly behind a bar or restaurant. Reminds me of the people who moved into that highrise in the Village that sits directly behind a bar and constantly complain about it.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You are very ignorant of the situation. I know people that live over there, and they, nor their neighbors A) moved into the area pre-Wash-boom or B) go to those places

Please share with me your analysis that proves "most of the housing" was built at the same time as the blow up. I'm also interested in your well researched assumption that "the majority of the complaints are coming from people in the pre-fab cookie cutter townhomes".

TIA

1 person likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Wasn't posting to provoke an argument/pissing contest with you, texxx. Just giving you my off-hand account, nothing more, nothing less. I know people over there too, and this is my impression of the situation. If you want to provide "analysis", by all means, but I'm not super concerned with it. Lighten up, bro.

1 person likes this.
  5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

There was only one bar/club on Washington in the 90s that I recall. It was were I saw Luscious Jackson and Nine Inch Nails as a tween. The name escapes me. But that area has shot up in the douche factor over the last few years.

6. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Houston definitely has good nightlife.

Midtown/Washington/Woodlands.

Just dont go to far East.....

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

The vatican was likley it. Well, Mary Janes was there too in the 90's. Saw the first ever show there in 94 for free. Some band called the Flaming Lips.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Houston is a big ass industrial town where most of your gasoline comes from b****

1 person likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i used to live off tc jester between 10 and 610 about a decade ago when people were really hanging out at night in downtown. i would drive down washington on the way home when the clubs closed. it was a great drive because it was so deserted.

10. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

I literally saw a guy pooping on the sidewalk in midtown the other week, gotta lvoe the city

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I remember we'd always drive that way on the way to and from school every AM - nothing but run-down houses, pawn shops, and used car lots. Still amazes me to see the townhomes/bars/restause there now. Hell my parents now walk to a wine bar down on 43rd street when they want to throw back a few. I think that same site was an autosupply store or something when I was growing up.

12. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Yeah because we'll get you! :rolleyes:

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Reminds me of the time we saw a guy squat out a big duece in the middle of a downtown street...between the lights. We were wondering what he was doing (we were in a highrise). It looked like he was squatting getting ready for a race when low and behold...stood up, pants up and what's that he left behind. LOL Good times! Still not sure why the middle of the street. I guess he was being nice and didn't want anyone to step in it.?

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

It's a money grab by the city. They shut all the red light cameras down, so now they resort to this. And like I said, what really ticks me off is that there is no threshold, like 85db or 90db. It's up to the officer's discretion.

At the meeting last week, one of the sound engineers said he took a decibel meter outside Fitzgeralds to measure street noise in the afternoon (mainly traffic), and it registered 75db. Insane.

15. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

I know of Senega as he DJ's with some other guys I know. Did he get a ticket that night?

16. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

You could be right but it's more than just a money grab IMO. It's their way of getting rid of the nightlife around town. This new sound ordinance isn't just for Washington, Montrose, Midtown. They could essentially issue out tickets at ANY venue at their own discretion inside the Houston City Limits. That's what happens when the city isn't properly zoned.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I don't believe so. We were sitting in the booth with him (He's also my wifes personal trainer) and the cops walked right to the booth and warned him. He said this is happening all of the time now, even during the afternoons when he DJ's. The cops were complete pricks about it, too. Not an ounce of respect was shown to anyone.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

If Washington is going down, where's the next big area in Houston I carjack and pick pocket people at?

Is it heights area just north of i10?

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That's the kind of thing an insane person scrawls in crayon on the body of a dead hooker.

20. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I bet you're really great! What's your name? Are you a solo artist or are you in a band? We'd love to hear your music!