1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston is a giant strip mall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Dec 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

lol. New Zealand. amusing.

2. Hightop

Hightop Member

The only thing cooler than a cool city is a cooler city.

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

What is so amusing?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Did this make anyone else seriously lol?

1 person likes this.
  5. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Yes, that is hilarious. Real well put post Batman.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

And you've made it well know numerous times that your dream is to live where Bacqui99 lives. So, you post reeks of jealousy due to the fact that you live in Houston and want to live were Bacqui99 lives. Correct?

7. SacTown

SacTown Member

This is exactly right. The people who love Houston haven't lived in any other decent city. Sure they have traveled, but never lived anywhere else decent. There are a few exceptions, but overall, yes - Houston is a place that you go to work, go home, eat, and shop at strip malls and hit the occasionall crappy nightclub.

1 person likes this.
  8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I grew up in Houston but lived in Los Angeles for 12 years.

Houston is by no means a tourist attraction, but living in Houston > living in Los Angeles by a long shot.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Houston or the Moon, doesn't make me much difference. Here, I can afford a nice house that looks out into the trees, a nice air-conditioned car that I can drive 70 MPH on freeways in the sky, I get every cable channel known to man, and I have broadband music access wherever I go.

If I cared, within 10 driving minutes of my house I would have 100 restaurants, 100 movie screens, 100 clubs and bars and every conceivable retail outlet. But my typical week other than work, would just include the gym, the grocery store (I have 5 to chose from) and a golf course.

Westside MF'ers, suburban isolation, just the way we like it; where we experience only what we choose.

10. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

I guess if you suck. I play on 6th street a lot and i have a f'ing blast...what isn't there to like?

11. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

lmao.

12. RocketMan Tex

Make alot of money on those tipjars, eh? :grin:

13. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

I agree with Batman and DaDakota on their take about Houston. I moved here from New York 5 years ago basically for my wife (Whom I met in Houston) and kids. I still commute back and forth between NY and Houston but I chose to live here basically for economics. It's just cheaper to live here than up North.

Despite being the 4th largest city in the country, it doesn't have a great nightlife AT ALL. As Batman said, this city has a Frat boy mentality. Forget any kind of Live Music scene here - it's almost non-existent. Now with the new City Sound Ordinance, that is going to KILL whatever Nightscene Houston has.

Check out the video to explain what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Dpp0DQeL0

Anyways, I chose Houston as my home base because I also felt it was a nice centralized place to be. Basically it's 2/12-3 hours away from NY, LA, Chi, Vegas, Mia, which is where I travel to regularly. If Austin had an easier flight Hub I probably would've moved there instead but I hate connecting flights so that was out of the question.

Houston isn't perfect but no city really is.

14. RocketMan Tex

Great blues and alt-country scenes in Houston. Alternative music is picking up since the ownership changed at Fitzgerald's. Other kinds of music...not so good.

Totally agree, if we let it kill the scene. Worst part of the ordinance is that there is no threshold...it is all at the officer's discretion. That is why I was at the meeting at Fitzgerald's last week. It really hurts the sound engineers and club owners more than the bands, but we all have to get together to fight it.

15. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

I've had 3 DJ friends receive $1000 tickets last week. These DJ's make $200-250 a night.

More importantly, as the tickets rack up on these venues, it's going to make it hard for them to get their Liquor licenses renewed. That will ultimately affect Musicians too if they dont' have venues to play at.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You're from Sacramento. STFU.

I bet that you couldn't even get into some of the 'crappy' night clubs in Houston.

There is plenty to do in Houston. We don't have beaches like LA but that's why there are these awesome things called airplanes.

Big houses. Big cars. Money. That's what you can get in Houston.

#116 sammy, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup, thanks to the ordinance I see Cops coming into so many bars on Washington now due to noise complaints after 10PM. They even made the band at Salt Bar quit playing completely due to the people living around there complaining.

You moved to WASHINGTON STREET. WTF, this isn't the burbs, idiots.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Rich, do you know DJ Seneca? He's a buddy of mine and he gets harassed by the cops on Washington all of the time. They even came into the bar for the JayZ after party and pretty much shut all of the music down. The cops aren't even polite about it.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You're such a damn troll. You lived here a long time ago and your opinion doesn't hold any merit.

Austin is what it is. Basically one freeway of notability in 35, which is always congested. It has like 2 lanes on each side. Austin is a college town that's known for bar hopping (not upscale) and ACL. Of course, Lake Travis/Guadalupe are fun but I heard that you couldn't even go tubing this year due to the drought.

#119 sammy, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Word.

Reminds me of people who never grew out of the frat boy scene yet still want their peace and quite. I know how much houses in Rice Military and the surrounding are cost, so they obviously expect to be treated like kings because they are all house rich and cash poor. It's time to take a stand against the lame yuppies.