1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Radio] Jim Rome no longer aired in "H-Town"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kam, Dec 28, 2011.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've listened to about 30 mins of Rome the last 3-4 months. That guy and Rome's replay/mockery of his call was it. I got a headache laughing so hard.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Once he got rid of the message board SmackChat, then SCII and SC III, I quit listening to him. I made plenty of new online buddies with the many spin offs from that epic message board though. The trolling was off the charts!

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can't imagine wanting to listen to national sports radio shows in this ESPN era. When Rome's show first hit the airwaves here, it was edgy and different. Then everyone copied it (including jackass posters here) and it got stale...and Rome never changed. He never adapted. Same "inside jokes" with the clones....for 14 years. I once fell asleep in one of his pauses.

We're thrown so much national sports news through ESPN and the internet...it's nice to be able to turn on a Matt Thomas or someone like that who feeds local sports discussion. That's just far more interesting to me.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

As someone who has done an Arbitron Rating book, here's how they get you. First, they send you a letter with a couple of $1 bills in it, with a single question. Something like: "Which radio station did you listen to this morning, if any?" They promise that if you send it back, they'll give you a $5 bill. You fill it out, and they do. Then they'll call you every couple of months. Everytime you talk to them for a couple of minutes, they send you a little bit of cash in the mail. Then they ask you to do the survey book, and promise you an undisclosed amount of money. After them sending you money every week for a couple of months for almost nothing, you automatically expect $50 or so. So you agree to it. They send you the book, call you several times to remind you to fill it out, and you do. (I didn't carry mine with me, I just tried to remember what I listened to and filled it out at the end of the day.) Then you hear nothing from them for months, and finally get a disappointing $10 check in the mail.

I suspect there are more suckers than you think on these.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

On Jim Rome, I put him in the same category as Phil Hendrie. He has a funny schtick that's great in small doses, but if you listen to it more than once every few months, it gets old really fast.

6. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3s8BZjcP3qU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

He's a good interviewer, but that's about it.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Enjoyed it, especially the early years, but I haven't listened in years.

I don't listen to sports radio much anymore. Honestly just makes me mad most of the time.

One exception is after Texans games. Love listening to ND Kalu.

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I used to listen to Rome regularly. For years, there was only one sports radio station here in Austin and he was on it. His schtick has definitely gotten tired and played-out. Part of the reason is just the duration. Another part of it is that his "aggressive" style has almost become commonplace now. It's a testament to him in some ways.

I can only listen to national sports radio in small doses now. I prefer Dan Patrick to Rome for sure. I can't stand Colin Cowherd.

Y'all don't have Dan Patrick anymore either, do you? I seem to recall the Houston market dropping him.

Local radio all the way for me. I listen to some of the local Houston stuff online every now and then. The Austin local market gets a bit too Cowboys-y for my tastes. Although I enjoy it when they're schitting all over themselves.

You can always catch Rome online if you care...

10. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Good! I cant stand Rome.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I can see why he failed in H Town- listeners here seem to only connect him with the Jim Everett incident and Frank Caliendo and not the amazing interviews he did with guys like Morey and Battier from time to time.

all I know is how boring local sports radio becomes- the same local goons calling every station in town must get old quick. good luck with that morning replacement- KILT's not going to get out of the ratings doldrums

12. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Haven't listened to more than an hour in the last few months either. Got tired of Rome after a while. That being said, he's probably still better than whoever is on 610 to replace him, lol.

13. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Radio don't use Arbitron diaries anymore. It has switched over to PPM (Portable People Meters) which are like Pagers that are given to sample users that detect, record, and send the data.

PPM's first test market in the country was Houston and has now spread to most of the major markets.

14. ROCKET RICH NYC

As I've said before, Arbitron doesn't use Diaries anymore. It has switched to PPM(Portable People Meters) since 2007.

15. ROCKET RICH NYC

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NQxT7ab07jk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously I've only listened in bits and pieces. Not a big deal to me.

1 person likes this.
  17. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

And here I was going to say I only enjoyed Jim Rome when Hendrie was imitating him.

1 person likes this.
  18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

No matter who they replace him with, I'll still listen to Matt Thomas.

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i listen to romey during basketball season and thats it - im not into baseball or football so i have no reason to listen the rest of the year.

i agree w/ whoever said the show is too much about himself. and its not that he cant be amusing, but it seems like he thinks he is the worlds greatest stand-up comedian or something. too many segments are nothing more than these tired little "bits" he comes up with, and most of those are re-re-retreads of things he has already covered. its the opposite of "fresh".

and like pearl jam, i hold rome responsible for all the imitators that came in his wake. every city has the local guy trying to be like rome...this guy in san antonio, mike taylor is the best/worst example of this ive ever heard. and like rome, he thinks everything he says is comedy gold. and even worse, he is from dallas and constantly rags on h-town and acts like is some cholo from the south side.

another thing i noticed is that for 10 years he absolutely thrashed auto racing (neck-car), but then jumped on the bandwagon when it seemed like it was profitable to do so. in other words, did romey all of a sudden get into "neck-car" or did he see the potential advertising revenue in appealing to that segment of sports fan?

and he can be a big-ass kisser, but i do think he is a decent interviewer. i love when barkley comes on.

its odd that he wont be on in houston though. 4th biggest city in the country and no romey - YOU CLONES BETTER START BANGING YOUR MONKEY!!! I WANTS TO SEE THE MOST EPIC BANGING IN THE HISTORY OF MONKEY BANGING CLONES!!!

#59 jo mama, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Matt Thomas' dry humor is underrated and can get pretty comical with the right caller. Don't really listen for his sports insight, Lance is the guy for that.