1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about trading for Damon Stoudamire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Nov 27, 2002.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Seriously. I like Moochie as a person, but the guy is not a good basketball player. All those worthless clutch shots he made last year mean nothing anymore.

Francis and Cuttino average almost 42 mpg game each. We have incredible front court depth (tonights pathetic effort not withstanding).

Damon is not even playing in Portland and I believe could be had without major difficulties. His career averages are 15ppg and about 6-7 apg. Shooting percentage from the field is 42% and 35% from the three point line.

He can come in for either Cuttino or Francis. When he is subbing for Cuttino, Francis would move over to the two guard. When you can have two of the following on the courts at all time its a definite plus: Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Damon Stoudamire.

Yeah he has been in trouble in Portland. But hanging around those crappy knuckleheads has to rub off some time or another.

I believe everyone knows Damon is a very good player. He is awesome on the fast break and can find the open man at any time. He has to be an upgrade over Moochie Norris on hitting wide open jump shots.

NY is looking for a seven footer. Perhaps a three way deal with Cato&Moochie being send to NY, Spree being send Portland and Damon being send to Houston. Something along those lines.

Ming/Maurice
    Eddie/KT
    Rice/Nachbar/Morris
    Cuttino/Hawkins
    Francis/Stoudamire

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<LI> 7-year, $81 million contract that isn't up until 2005.
    <LI> Just got busted with mar1juana.

No way Les takes it.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How much longer is Damon signed? I know he had something like a 5 or 7 year and $60+ million contract at one point. I personally don't want that guy on this team. He's already been busted at least twice by cops for possession of the wacky tabacky. Our team may suck on certain nights, but I'd rather have a sucky team than JailBlazers South.

4. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

After seeing first hand what Moochie can do (actually can't do), you really think they would want Mooch and his $22 mil contract? Yeah, maybe they are dumb enough. :)

5. R0ckets03

I believe he has 3 years $43 million left on his contract. I'm not completely sure about that though. Getting rid of Cato and Moochies contract should offset that somewhat?

6. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

And definitely, we don't want Damon's contract on our books. Rox aren't that dumb either.

7. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I rather trade for Jeff Mccinnis. From what I have seen of him, he looks very very good. He can shoot and create.But I wouldn't give up on Moochie yet, hopefully he'll have a break out game tomorrow and get his confidence back!!

8. R0ckets03

New York trades: SF Latrell Sprewell (18.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.8 apg in 38.3 minutes)
    New York receives: PG Moochie Norris (3.3 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.8 apg in 17.8 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.2 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 25.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -9.0 ppg, +8.5 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

Houston trades: PF Jason Collier (3.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.0 apg in 10.7 minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (3.3 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.8 apg in 17.8 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.2 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 25.5 minutes)
    Houston receives: PG Damon Stoudamire (7.0 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 4.1 apg in 10 games)
    Change in team outlook: -5.7 ppg, -11.9 rpg, and +1.8 apg.

Portland trades: PG Damon Stoudamire (7.0 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 4.1 apg in 27.7 minutes)
    Portland receives: SF Latrell Sprewell (18.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.8 apg in 4 games)
    PF Jason Collier (3.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.0 apg in 6 games)
    Change in team outlook: +14.7 ppg, +3.4 rpg, and -1.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to New York, Houston, and Portland being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. New York, Houston, and Portland had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. kbm

kbm Member

I don't think houston is in a position to get rid of cato. Both collier and ming are too inexperienced at this point. Besides, the only point of getting damon seems to be so that we can move francis to sg??? If that's the case, cuttino is the guy to trade. But the problem with the rox from an outside point of view is getting them to play like a team. You can't trade for that. It's something that just happens with time. The trade is a no go!

10. Deltar

Deltar Member

<i>His career averages are 15ppg and about 6-7 apg.</i>

I'm a little fuzzy on Stoudamire, but with a higher career PPG like 15ppg, wouldn't that make him shoot more? I would think that a pass-first point guard would be a much better fit for the backup point.

When Mooch first came to the Rockets, as I remember it, he was a pass first point guard and came with the right mentality. He has sort of inherited the Francis/Mobley trait of dribbling until the shot clock reaches 6 or 7 and then try to pull off a miracle. He's also shooting way more than he used to, and if anyone hasn't realized he's not such a good shooter until now, I have news; he's not a good shooter. But do you think Tito Maddox is the answer? I don't think so.

What point guards make sense for us right now?

11. R0ckets03

I am talking about Damon Stoudamire, not Damon Jones.

My point is not to move Steve over to the two. However, Steve is an excellent two guard, as I Cuttino. Damon and Cuttino could be in the backcourt, or Damon and Francis. Mobley and Francis average 42 MPG like I said. That is way too many minutes. Maybe their average can come down to 36 MPG to keep them fresh and at peak level. The remaining 24 minutes can go to Damon.

I dont think Damon's character is that big of a problem. He seemed to be a decent guy when playing in Toronto. Playing with a bunch of thugs in Portland is going to rub off on a guy. A guy like Rudy should be able to handle Damon.

I also dont think the guy is a ball hog. He is one of the best when it comes to finding the open man and is very capable of leading a fastbreak.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Why in the hell would we want Damon? He is WAY overrated. Not that Moochie hasn't been overrated too...but damn.

Oh yeah...that and he's one blunt away from a drug suspension.

13. coolpet

coolpet Member

no, he will spread pot in rockets team. hopefully, Yao won't got addicted to it :D

14. shuttle

shuttle Member

We already have one overpriced Backup PG, why get another. Besides, Damon is not that great of a PG anyways. If he was, then he would be playing more.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wha-wha-whaat? :confused:

Damon is overpriced and short. In every playoff ouster with the Blazers, he has been the weakest link. He's too short to be a shooting guard, but his specialty is playing like one. He's also volatile for the minutes. The year after, he'd be complaining about his playing time.

Don't let this guy's streaky flashes fool you. Come playoff time, he'll be on the bench.

16. jlaw

jlaw Member

We should get Kenny Smith back out of retirement. Moochie should have a better career in Globetrotter. :D

17. akuma

akuma Member

Unless the Rockets front office is on drugs, they will not in any way shape or form trade for Damon Stoudemire. That loser is absolutely worthless if he is not passing the ball or scoring. He does not play intelligently at all and has no leadership qualities. He has no defense at all, can be shot over and posted by anyone in the league and conversely can not shoot over or post anyone in the league. Doesn't rebound well, steals poorly for a quick PG, and cannot rack up assists for a team as talented as Portland. What does that say? Oh yeah, his attitude sucks royally and he's a pothead. And to pay $14 million + a year for that cancer? His only talents are ball-handling (excellent actually) and free throw-shooting. But he really is no better than Travis Best (a poor man's Damon Stoudemire without all the negative baggage). I truly feel if it weren't for him, Portland would have had two rings by now, at least one. If you thought Moochie made you angry...

18. kbm

kbm Member

Like shuttle said, why trade for a backup guard? Unless you plan to move steve to sg, I see no point in having him on our team. Cato is so much more valuable at center. Remember, just because ming can start does make the rest of the front line expendable. Then ming would play 40 plus a game? That would be craziness.

19. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member