1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

transitional phase: yao ming starting versus coming off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Nov 27, 2002.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

well, i don't agree with benching yao. here's the problem as i see it:

when yao was coming off of the bench, it seemed that a strong majority of the rockets' offense was going through yao ming....and it was largely successful. motay and j-hawk were on the court with him and they consciously looked to get yao the ball in the low post.

now that yao has moved into the starting lineup, it seems that his role has been altered. i see yao in the high post more often than before. even more disturbing is that is see him either in the high post or 15 feet from the basket - feeding the post man! :confused:

people say that yao is being pushed out more...i disagree somewhat. yes, he is being pushed out more, but truthfully, he has always been pushed off his "spot" about two feet. the difference that i have noticed is that he is - now - posting a little further out.

even more puzzling to me is why the rockets don't have the 2 post players cross-screen for one another. :confused: why not have motay or griff or whoever come across the lane, set a backscreen for yao so that he can come across the low block and get good, deep position and a quick entry pass!? :confused: i've seen utah do it for karl malone for over a decade! rather, our set is to have a high low with ming often being the "high" man!? rudy, rudy, rudy...where is your head!? :mad:

what we are seeing right now is a transitional phase. ming has proven he has the talent to not only start, but take over games in stretches. yes, he does need to learn to avoid fouls. however, he'll never learn that while watching. he'll only learn it from playing and fouling on the court...which brings up the portland game - why was he on the bench for EIGHT game minutes between the 2:00 mark in the 3rd quarter and the 6:00 mark in the 4th quarter, rudy?!! and why was eddie "i'm-2-light-to-play-big-power-forwards" griffin playing center against arvydas "i'm 295-pounds-of-wise-center" sabonis? :confused: & :mad:

so the transition is this: how to incorporate ming's potential dominance into steve francis' ball dominant game. i believe rudy doesn't feel comfortable at this point with taking the ball out of steve's hands and putting it in ming's for the majority of the game. so you see ming "trying to fit in" with steve & the boys. ming said so himself....

http://www.sportsweekly.com.cn/data...1/22/17812.html

my opinion is this: put the ball in yao ming's hands - NOW. run the offense through ming - NOW. because if we plan on doing anything in the playoffs (or even getting to the playoffs) yao ming must be a major contributor. and you don't have a 7'6" multi-skilled center complimenting other players. you have other players complimenting HIM!

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great points, particularly the one about Ming playing on the second until with Hawkins and Taylor. It seemed on the second unit they would look for him to be "the main guy" on that unit and get him the ball. But when he starts pehaps he is relegated to 2nd or 3rd option. I agree with you, he has to get the ball EARLY and often. He should EASILY get over 10 shots a game, no excuses.

Chris

3. jlaw

jlaw Member

Dr. Donk will accuse you as Yao lover.:D

4. njsun

njsun Contributing Member

Well, face it, by now almost all Yao haters have been converted into Yao lover anyway.

Great analysis verse! I can see the light in the end of tunnel.

How many games Rox continue to lose will be depended on such transition, depended on how soon players and coach to realize this fact.

5. yin

yin Member

The conversition of Yao after Marv game truly reflected Yao's thought and fact about his statue in the team. This may be one of the main reason that Yao didn't look aggresive, esp. in the first half. Clearly it seems yao still have much space to promote. Until now, it seems Rudy still haven't decide the team is Yao-oritented or guards-oritented, which reflecting in the court is a mess. Hopely this transision end soon.

6. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Whether to start or not is not the point. If Yao was started and then benched for the rest of the game, what's the difference. As long as Yao got adequate minutes and was involved offensively, we'll see big numbers from him night in and night out. No doubt about that.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The difference is off the bench he is the focus. Starting he is not the focus and players are unsure who is!

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

verse,

do you have game tape. I've got some segments to show you have how completely lost Griffin is sometimes. He is not helpful in motion, just doesn't seem motivated.

He's out there for one thing...his defense and potential. I no longer consider him a piece to use to get some flow going in games right now. All Xs and Os with thought about Griffin are just dreaming. His timing is off, bumps into people, pushing guys, and his always floating to a poor low post position that he is no good at scoring from. It's like he doesn't even know what kind of player he wants to be.

just clueless with psychophrenic offensive identity

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

good read verse. Thanks for the intelligent criitique. My question to you though is this: If you make Yao the focus of the offense now and somewhat take the ball out of stevies hands,1- do you think the team will transition quickly enough to make the playoffs(they still look like they will stumble their way in if they don't) 2-do you destroy the team because we have selfish players that want stats

In my opinion, it really doesn't make a difference because we have to move the offense through yao and the sooner you do it the sooner he learns and we become an elite team.

10. YaoROY

YaoROY Member

The question is, will the transition period takes forever?

I just don't see how SF would give up the rock. It's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Selfish or not, SF needs to have the ball to be effective. You want SF play the role of Kobe in LA? It's hard. Very hard.

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

heypee:

i have game tape from the dallas game, but not this past portland game. nevertheless, i have seen every game this year and have noticed what you're saying about eddie and his "wandering". truthfully, i think that's a matter of not knowing how to read and react. and i'm not sure that he'll pick it up for the next 3-4 years even.

in fact, i question whether or not he can be an effective player in motion or pass oriented offense. not because of a lack of ability...more like a lack of focus...of definition to himself. that's the problem with a lot of young players: they don't even know their own games! that said, i think it's rudy's responsibility to guide griffin into a type of game....and as long as yao ming is on this team, eddie should be getting groomed to be a legit, traditional 4 that can occasionally float to the 3 point line. what we're seeing now is the inverse.

studogg,

1 - i think this team can transition quickly enough to make the playoffs IF they truly are about winning and not personal accolades. i know that sounds like i'm oversimplifying, but i don't think i am. to me, it's basic basketball knowledge that if you have a mismatch down low, you exploit it each and every time! let that post mismatch dictate how the offense is going. i don't care if it's kt, motay, ming, whoever...the person with the downlow mismatch (and the ability to exploit it) must dictate the flow of the offense.

that person, for at least 30 mpg (or at least should be) is yao ming. steve francis, cuttino mobley, rudy t, mama t, mr.t, whoever! needs to recognize this and find a way to help that man get in the best position possible.

2 - i'm not sure that we have "selfish players that want stats". i think we have a collection of wannabe alpha males. guys that sincerely believe that they can carry the team to victory - when in reality they cannot consistently do so...

that said, i don't think they are so basketball obtuse that they don't recognize yao's abilities. i just think they struggle with how best to take advantage of it. how to take a back seat, but still contribute. that, imo, is why you see some of the stupid shots that we see...

now, if they can't learn how to incorporate their games around what the most obvious mismatch on the damn court is, then i suggest sitting them down. nothing gets a player's attention more than splinters. then try them again...and again...and again. the key is to be patient as long as they are putting forth the effort to succeed. now, if they stop with the effort, they stop being on the team...

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure how much I agree with this.

I do agree he's out there for his defense and potential at this point. He's not doing much on the other side right now but his presence defensively provides a LOT. Teams must show caution any time he, or Yao, is in the game, but they go straight to the basket when Mo/KT are there. They're just not dangerous shot blockers.

He's calling for the ball in that "poor low post position", but from what I see he's got his man sealed off decently enough, and I wouldn't say he's not good from scoring right there. That's where he uses what I hoped, and hopefully still will become his pet move, that little turnaround. I saw him call for the ball more than from that spot with 6-5 Bonzi Wells on his back, only to be waved off. By my count, Griffin actually the ball with his back to the basket only 1 time the entire game. IMO, he wants to get the ball inside, but he's only getting the ball when he goes outside. I wish I had the tape, but I recall specifically Eddie with position calling for the ball, only to be waved off and go to the 3 point line to set a pick for Steve.

I think right now he is having an identity crisis-the player that he wants to become vs. the player Rudy wants him to become vs. the player Steve/Moochie want him to become.

hp-do you think part of the offensive problems right now as a whole is adjusting to the right roles? KT's getting minutes at the 3 and the 4, Griffin gets minutes at the 4, the 5, and a pseudo 3, and Taylor gets minutes at the 4 and the 5, plus the thin backcourt

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why was ming feeding Thomas in the post when he had a guy 5 inches taller than him playing defense. Ming is the biggest mismatch we have, yet we have him curling off picks to set up rice or thomas in the post.

#13 leebigez, Nov 27, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2002
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

verse,

cool. keep that tape. let's break it down. I'd love to revive the Dallas game thread this weekend and discuss with you. how 'bout it. That was our best motion to date.

btw: how about that dejaun wagner??

NIKE,

do you have tape? which games? let's discuss.

15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

verse, I agree with your take on the alpha male syndrome. I think that up and down the roster with the exception of Hawkins and Collier, we have extremely confident players who think they can take over a game and I , more than anyone else wants them to be right. That in mind, I stilll like to play devil's advocate and say don't we need more role players around our stars?(given that our stars are just recently becoming apparent)
    sub topic-given: Eddie Griffin, Yao Ming, Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Bostjan Nachbar become top tier players, can they do it together?