1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Timberwolves bowing out without a fight? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Best way for an aussie traveller to get tickets (NBA etc.)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by thebender, Dec 19, 2011.

1. thebender

thebender Member

Apologies if there is already an FAQ somewhere on this....but I'm in a bit of a rush during my lunch break at work. I'll be in toronto for 2 months in the new year and will be doing some US travel as part of that......

anyway....plan is to get to some nba games....and probably would like to see some nhl/nfl while I am around too. Doesn't look like I'll make it to houston....but looking at going to a game at MSG while I'm in New York and some games in Toronto aswell.

Fairly clueless to this....so if people can make some suggestions in relation to the best website to use to book tickets online....as well as any other tips that'd be great (ie. would I need to book a long time in advance, do they always sell out, how much would I expect to pay for decent - but not necessarily amazing - seats etc.)

Any help much appreciated. Cheers

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Anybody recommend a hotel concierge, or is that more at four star inns and for theatre tickets?

3. ketchupNmustard

Has anyone told you about Craigslist?

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

The easiest way would be to check the website of whichever team you're going to see, but that only works if they aren't sold out.

You can check www.stubhub.com/, which is basically a service that allow fans to resell their tickets to games. Prices vary depending on the opponent, you may be able to get them close to face value or you may be paying a lot more. I've used it a couple of times and never had a problem.

You can also try scalpers outside of the events if it comes down to that. Scalping laws vary by state but I doubt you'd have a problem, and there's also the risk of somebody selling you fake tickets.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you know who SmeggySmeg is? Another Aussie who will be in the States at the same time as you. I think he will catch a game at MSG as well. He has a thread about his trip; you should look for it.

To purchase tickets, if you can't buy online, and you are not staying at an expensive hotel where a concierge will secure a ticket for you, then you can always just call a brick and mortar ticket broker.

6. Trip

Trip Member

Catching a Raptors game in Toronto should be easy, although expect to pay more than you would in the US. Avoid buying from the official website since they're damn expensive and the cheapest you can get is probably $40 after taxes/fees. Stubhub is a good source or simply get them from scalpers before the games around the Air Canada Centre.

As for NHL games in Toronto, good luck. You need to spend at least a couple hundred to be get to a Leafs game. A cheaper option would be the Toronto Marlies, who play in the AHL (NBDL of the NHL) and are the farm team of the Maple Leafs.

7. thebender

thebender Member

cheers for the help all. can't wait to get over there.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Parking around air canada center was super expensive last time I was there. You should hit up a nets game you can get there on the subway tickets out to be cheap.