1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Is the Greatest Historical Figure of the Arts?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Nov 26, 2002.

?

Who Is the Greatest Historical Figure of the Arts?

1. Leonardo da Vinci

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Michelangelo

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. William Shakespeare

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  4. Johann Sebastian Bach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ludwig van Beethoven

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Other (Specify)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Looks like nothing more than conjecture but ok ..def jam.. haha

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Conjecture because you don't believe it, or because you choose to ignore the article?

Unless there's some 172+ year old dude from Vienna, hanging around...we'll never know.

Do you need me to provide a report from his otologist too?

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Disagree - he extended Plato's thoughts and was important for a long time, but Kant kind of changed everything - especially becoming important for the 20th century. Also, beauty is not really seriously discussed anymore, as it is generally accepted that there is no such thing (since it is so subjective, matter of taste, etc)

I am no expert on drama, but I don't really see how this can be true as Aristotle's definition of "dramatic art" was so rigid and required one to follow it to the last detail (and it is an older artform - tragedy, etc), that I don't see how it works with contemporary literature. As for the last sentence, again, I disagree - he was extremely important for a long time, but now he is really only important historically - as far as understanding goes (he is a must to know about, but not to follow/incorporate).

As for the original poll, I cannot vote because it is way too broad and impossible for me to do.

4. DAROckets

Neither.There just weren't any facts to support the theory..

[/QUOTE] Unless there's some 172+ year old dude from Vienna, hanging around...we'll never know. [/QUOTE]

I guess not and I don't really care if he was blue,green,purple,white or black...the only reason I asked was because I'd never heard that before.

[/QUOTE]
    Do you need me to provide a report from his otologist too?
    [/QUOTE]

Yea why don't you do that , I've always thought he was faking it :rolleyes:

5. kbm

kbm Member

DAROckets, you really didn't just ask. You more or less acted as if AB was some kind of idiot with the whole "it would be funny ... :confused: line.

AB, you also have to admit that you were baiting people with that remark "deaf and black." I am sure most people here would be suprised to learn this fact, so you had to know someone would react the way DAROckets did.

That being said, I like both of you. Have fun on the board. This thread is not worth all this.

BTW, my choice is WEB Du bois. He is in the historical blood line of ralph ellison, who is of course my hero. He also can be seen as the father of the modern black scholar. And a master of not only academic art but also prose, poetry, the academic essay, fiction, the short story and much more. He also defined the whole of black fiction in less than a page in the souls of black folk, even to the present day.

DU BIOS's ART: Thinker, Writer.

6. DAROckets

If it sounded like I "acted as if AB was some kind of idiot", I apolagize..that wasn't my intent.

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

KBM

You are right but I read things here all the time that are worth challenging, I read about them before responding.

I didn't feel as though I was being treated like an idiot as much as being 'blown off' as if I was making something up.

No harm DARO, I've been called an idiot once this week so whatever....:cool:

It's all good though and good looking out for the board

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Even if it sounds stuffy, I love classical baroque. For English speaking people, I think Shakespeare is a worthy candidate. He literally wrote a new dictionary of words and his plays are timeless and even contemporary.

I like da Vinci for his work outside of painting. While renowned as an artist, he took on other professions such as designing weapons for princes or giving the most comprehensive outline of the human anatomy for more than 200 years.

My vote goes to Shakespeare because his works were recognized in his time while da Vinci's achievements outside his arts went largely unnoticed by his contemporaries for a long long time.

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shakespeare was recognized as somewhat of a hack in the artistic community at the time - so that does not really help his cause. He basically worte what those at the time considered to be soap operas - low brow stuff. Only time has made him a "serious" writer.

As for da Vinci, he was recognized for some of his other talents during his life. He obtained many government commissions for his military inventions and concepts, and he was known to have been a great singer and dancer. :)

For the most part, you are right - as his notebooks were not public knowledge until after his death. Still, maybe that was his problem - he was interested in exploring so many things that he could not really follow through with too much.