1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes failed physical, contract with Kings voided

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Dec 19, 2011.

1. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I wonder what happened and I hope he's okay.

All the jokes about his heart breaking from leaving the Rockets might not be too far-fetched.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

My heart goes out to him. He worked his ass off to improve and get that contract and now this.

I hope he gets healthy and would love to have him back.

1 person likes this.
  3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

^this.

4. Know Your Role

Bring him back, injured or not. He's just so awesome, even if he can't play I know he could help everyone in the locker room. Teach Twill how to stop elite forwards!

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Man, TWO times in one offseason. Same exact thing happened to Jeff Green.

I don't think the Rockets ever ACTUALLY renounced their rights to Chuck, since Houston never needed to use its cap space.

Therefore, if he gets a clean bill of health (or clean enough), the Rockets can re-sign Hayes without regard for cap room, since they have his Bird rights.

FYI, until they renounce him, Chuck's cap hold is "only" about $3.75 million.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks but no thanks. Go get healthy. And then, unfortunately still, no thanks. Move on.

7. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

Offer him one year with our remaining capspace yes all of it.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

chuck was worth $5 mil per. Damn, I really hate hearing this. If Sac-town is passing because of the medical issue, doubt Houston would bring him on board.

9. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Poor guy. Would love to see him back. If it's a career ending injury we should at least resign him and let him retire at home where he belongs.

10. cod

cod Member

The Rockets brushed off Mobley's heart condition for all those years. I'm not confident they can look after Chuck.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Sometimes the world just isn't fair. No player has ever been more deserving of that money than chuck hayes.

Not a doctor, not sure if this is something that can be fixed, if it can't be we don't want another Hank Gathers situation.

Hopefully he will be able to resume his career, and I would love to see him back home. But i'd like to see him live a full life a lot more, he's got great coach written all over him.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The Rockets needed him under the "win now" Pau-Nene scenario. Now I'm not sure. But the important thing is Chuck's health. I feel terrible that now, when he's about to get really paid, this happens. No one works harder and deserves that contract more.

2 people like this.
  13. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

My sentiments exactly.

Best of luck to you Chuck...and if you can play, I hope it's in Rocket Red.

14. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This is so sad. I really feel back for Chuck and his family. Talk about a guy who kids should look up to as far as work ethic and personality. I would gladly take him back on our team, even if he is a practice coach

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Man, Cat and Chuck. Two of my favorite Rockets. Seriously sucks.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There is no evidence that the Rockets ignored it. I saw the CD interview about it but when he was traded to Orlando and then signed in LA you mean to tell me he never took a physical?

Btw, Cat is suing the Knicks for forcing his retirement.

18. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

Just utterly, brutally sad over this.

Chuck will always be a model example of true spirit and heart in professional basketball. Throwing all the best wishes I've got towards the Chuckster.

19. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

sam_amick Sam Amick
    There is a basketball ripple effect here, however, and it would appear free agent center Sam Dalembert is a possibility again in Sacto.

sam_amick Sam Amick
    Dalembert's camp has been talking with Houston and exploring possible sign and trades elsewhere w/ Kings, but now there is a more dire need.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its a no-brainer than that the Rockets should pass on Dalembert, sign Chuck to his "cap-hold"(unless treatment is life threatening serious) and allow him the first few weeks to month of the season to seek treatment.

If the front court hits a major injury bug, or Hill/Thabeet just plain out stink, the Rockets have a tried and true post defender who can jump in the mix in the final stretch of the season if they are on the verge of a playoff run.
    If they are looking like lottery NBA fodder, then its no skin off the Rockets teeth.

Still does not affect their 2012 salary cap plans, and could be waived in wake of major trade for cap space.

However, Its pretty sad for Chuck. Of all the overpaid lousy bigs in the league, this guy truely deserved this contract. Hope all is well with his health.