1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Hill, Thabeet and Smith Hold Down the 5?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Dec 17, 2011.

?

Can These Three Hold It Down?

1. Yes

94 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

125 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His defense in the first half...

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

And by the way, can folks now appreciate Yao a little more? Yao understood the game, had skills, and played HARD.

Thabeet has no clue how to play, and he is gassed in the 2nd half?

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

To be fair, it was more like one quarter, since he only played about a minute or less in the first quarter.

And it seemed more like a hot start for Thabeet before he fell back down to Earth.

San Antonio probably wasn't expecting much from Thabeet (as they shouldn't), so their defense and offense slacked off quite a bit against him. They quickly adjusted to Thabeet and he was practically shut down offensively and defensively for the rest of the game.

Thabeet still has ways to go, teams figure him out way too easily. He jumps too much on the defensive end, and looks lost on the offensive end.

4. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

At this point, I would love to see Hill / Dalembert. Sammy would be the starter at the beginning, but Hill would be the man by season's end. As for Hill not being a center, I think that's wrong - but only because most centers today are not centers.

5. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Hill looked good, but one game, it's only one game. Being too excited makes a team sign a Kelvin Cato. Let's at least give it a month before we can draw any conclusions.

IMO, the only conclusion we can draw is he has improved from last year. That is not same much.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The only problem i saw with Thabeet was his conditioning. Learning the plays better will come with more playing time. Remember, short training camp?

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I actually think Dalembert is unnecessary at this point. He would take important minutes away from these young guys. We need these guys to come into their own this year. That way next year we contend.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thabeet is a clear bust. Jordan has shown improvement in one game but yet to see if he can maintain it.

If we get Sammy cheap then we get him. If not I would roll with what we've got.

9. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Although some of the passes to him weren't spectacular, Thabeet fumbled the ball too much. You can tell he has bad hands and that's not something he can improve on. If I were Thabeet, I would Stay away from the next McGrady. Hope I'm wrong.

What I saw from Hill last game was that he is limited to hustling and a faceup game if he is forced to play center. At first, he was trying to post up a little, but that wasn't effective at all. That's definitely not his fault, but I think he would be so much more effective if he played power forward. He definitely had a good game, but I think we've seen what Hill showed offensively during that game in the past before. Hill didn't do anything out of the ordinary, and didn't show any of the "improved offensive game" that we've been hearing about. My concern with him is that his role at the center position is different than that of a power forward's. At center his game is driven by his hustle, and that's what will win us games. We need that kind of player at the center position; however, I just hope that what he learned offensively isn't wasted, because he is playing out of position.

10. Mark

Mark Contributing Member

simply "no"

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One preseason game guys....ONE...after two a day practices......

Unreal.

DD

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well the season starts in what a week? One more preseason game. That is not much time. In pressurized times I don't think he is ready.

13. mhsc008

mhsc008 Member

The opposing teams' centers will quickly make our 5s in foul trouble. Then we don't have any size in the middle anymore.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Beverly Hills

Thank goodness CD is no longer around.
    He might have offered Jordan one of those Kelvin Cato contracts, after one preseason game.

15. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Which also doesn't bode well for him working out much during the off season. Most of your improvements from year to year is in the off season where you get to work on your strengths and weaknesses. This guy obviously did zero work on his conditioning. Can you imagine Yao ever looking this bad. He had a vast improvement in conditioning in his 2nd year and every year thereafter. This guy doesn't have the want to to get better, he has Thebust written all over him.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Actually Hill was showing flashes in his first season and improvement in his second season. This is his season to breakout. As far as Thabeet goes, as long as he is helping the team, like last night and not hurting them, then he is doing fine.

17. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

if Thabeet keeps hustling yes...if jordan plays as well as he did the other night...yes..lol

18. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

If you have a 7'3, and still need size. Not much we can get.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

All three move their feet very well on defense. They also compliment the team in different ways.

20. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I have watched Thabeet and he is no Olajuwan, for sure. But, he is tall and has great length and is fairly mobile. We haven't had a point center since Ralph Sampson tried out for the position. IMO he needs opportunity, experience and confidence to make a serviceable center. Big men need more time to develop than smaller players do and everyone has been so down on him since he started I hope he doesn't read his press clippings. He was decent in college and there is no reason not to hang on to him another year. People smarter than me are evaluating him daily and made the decision to hang on to him so get off his back a little.