1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Baylor football good for the Big 12?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Drewdog, Nov 24, 2002.

?

Is Baylor football good for the Big 12?

1. Yes - They help keep a balanced confrence

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. No - They are dragging down the Big 12

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Yes I do. You have to look at the whole picture. If UH had joined the Big 12 when it formed, they would have had better recruits throughout the last 7 years. UH kicked Baylors ass every year in the SWC, so I have no doubt. It is a much bigger school than Baylor. By the way, UH is in CUSA, not the WAC, even though both conferences suck pretty much.

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

Baylor is notorious for screwing their top football players. Remember Odell James? He was the top quarterback in the nation coming out of McArthur in '96. They also screwed my boy Kerry Dixon. He's a good friend of mine and a good quarterback if given the chance. Even Ben Gay never got his chance, but most of that was his fault from what I've heard.

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Really?

1995 - Baylor 47 Houston 7
    1994 - Baylor 52 Houston 13
    1993 - Houston 24 Baylor 3
    1992 - Baylor 29 Houston 23
    1991 - Baylor 38 Houston 31

So in the five years immediately preceding the formation of the Big 12, Baylor won four of the five games and outscored Houston 169 to 98.

Even if we go back 10 years before the Big 12, Baylor won six of those ten games. Baylor's overall record against Houston in SWC play was 9-10-1. 9-6-1 since 1980.

Baylor's record against Houston since 1950 is 14-13-1 (including games played before Houston joined the SWC).

#23 mrpaige, Nov 25, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2002
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You're right about one thing in this post...I got the conference wrong...i misspoke.

I think that's about it, though. :D

5. mrpaige

Just for the record, the pre-Big12 Baylor records (from 1950 through the 1995 season) vs. the other 3 SWC schools that joined the Big12.

Baylor vs. UTexas: 13-32-1
    Baylor vs. TAMU: 18-25-3
    Baylor vs. Texas Tech: 26-17

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the more important numbers were attendance numbers for football...if i remember right, baylor was selling more seats than the tcu's and the uh's of the world.

7. mrpaige

And just since I counted them, here's Baylor's records from 1950 through 1995 vs. the rest of the SWC teams that were still around in 1995 when the conference finally broke up:

Baylor vs. SMU: 24-19-1
    Baylor vs. TCU: 23-22-1
    Baylor vs. Rice: 30-16

So at the end of the SWC, Baylor had winning records (since 1950) vs. the entire remaining SWC except UTexas and Texas A&M.

And speaking of TCU, Baylor went 7-3 vs. TCU in the ten years before the Big12.

8. mrpaige

And at least one more thing:

Baylor's record over the ten years prior to the Big 12 formation was 66-47-1.

Houston's record over the ten years prior to the Big 12 formation was 44-65-2.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Baylor is great for the Big 12. Baylor gives seven or eight conference teams per year a bye week to rest up...

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Good? Bad?

It is already nearly impossible to play the conference schedule unscathed, which obviously hurts the Conference's BCS opportunities. If we had another challenger or spoiler, that wouldn't be helpful from that perspective.

Then again, you can lose ground in the BCs even when you beat Baylor, so who knows?

11. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

I always get a laugh ouf of the "Kick Baylor out of the Big 12" crap. They do just fine in EVERY sport expect football. It is sad that someone people only judge a school by the football team but I guess that is Texas. The fact is that Baylor has very high graduation rates and is a fine place to go to school. They need to hire a big name to get the football team energized. Dave Bliss is doing fine with the basketball team and the baseball team under Coach Smith is top 10 material.

As for Odell James, injuries ruined him. Kerry Dixon, not sure about that guy. Ben Gay, ruined himself.

If Baylor puts the money into it, they can compete in the Big 12. Last time I checked, Baylor ranked about 6th overall in Big 12 sports.