1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Oden and Travis Outlaw

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DieHard Rocket, May 1, 2009.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Travis Outlaw is like the guy you play pickup basketball with that clearly has a glaring advantage that he either is unaware or refuses to exploit. He's a player that was genetically designed to be a slasher and attack-the-basket type player yet he continually settles for mid-range jumpers and pull ups.

The worst part is he easily can get by his man with his length/athleticism alone. He always takes 1-2 power dribbles yet instead of finishing or going up strong at the rim he pulls up or fades away. It's stupid. I don't know why he doesn't "get it". Maybe he really is afraid of contact? Maybe he's just too dumb to realize he could be more effective doing otherwise? I don't know. All I do know is Outlaw is an under-the-radar player I have always liked and have made a "We should try to get Travis Outlaw" post every summer since 2005. I've since began souring on those wishes.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is exactly what I was thinking of the Blazers. Of their roster, I can see only 4 young keepers: Roy, Aldridge, Fernandez and maybe Batum (damn trading him sucked!). The rest are average players you can find anywhere. Oden esp was a disapointment to me, I didn't see anything special out of him at all. And what's up with Bayless? I thought he would make more of an impact this year than he did...

To be quite honest, I think Seattle is REALLY the team to beat in a few years. They have 3 good players, probably a really high pick this year as well.

3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember reading an article around the time Oden was drafted in which the writer said that Oden walked like an "old man." I don't know if that was because of his oversized feet or because of his knee issues, but what strikes me is that Oden seems very uncoordinated. While that wasn't as much an issue against the smaller and slower college players, it's almost as if the speed of the NBA game causes him to trip over his own feet.

I know some people have questioned whether Durant would have been a better choice, but I find myself wondering how good the Blazers would be if they had traded down a couple of spots and had taken Al Horford instead (while maybe picking up some additional talent in the trade). He's more of an inside player so I could see him coexisting quite well with Aldridge (either of them - or Pryzbilla - could play center depending on the opponent).

4. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

If this is true, he won't be a bust.

I'm not sold on Oden either, but he has 2-3 more seasons to go before any determination can be made...

5. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

I would love to have Outlaw on our team. Long, athletic with great range. He'll never be a star but off the bench he can give his team a big lift.

Oden - I thought he showed flashes. Game one against Deke he showed his strength on offense backing Deke down (though he could have been called for offensive on each occasion). Then game two he did a pretty good job on Yao defensively and scoring off pick and rolls. I think Yao was playing a little soft due to foul trouble but Oden surprised me. His strength is definitely his strength. In fact I'd give him the edge over Howard in that area. The key for him will be staying healthy so that he can progress. Even Yao said in two years he'll be better than Howard, though Yao does tend to be too lavish in his praise.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

In my opinion, Oden looks like a doofus out there. He has some hops but I don't see his game ever developing much more than a Mutombo Jr. I think he will be like Mutombo, not as good defensively, and more athleticism for dunking offensively. But as far as Oden having the intelligence to run the offense through him in the post, it's not going to happen. He'll average about 12-14 ppg if he fully develops and that will be on trash put backs and pick and rolls. Defensively, I can see him being one of the league leaders in blocked shots. But that's about it.

I think Portland should run more with a fast lineup, especially when Webster comes back. Put LA at the 5, Outlaw at the 4, Batum/Webster at the 3, Roy 2, Blake 1.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

It was Bill Simmons. He and Chad Ford had a nice debate going on who the Blazers could pick, Durant or Oden. He laid a bit thick in that article, calling Durant someone God on this earth to play B-ball while Oden looked like a broken old man.

Anyway, the biggest issue I have with Oden is not his lack of mobility or injury issues, its his prima-donna attitude. Blazers had several articles about him pouting and stuff. Are you kidding me? You're the biggest bust since Sam Bowie! The least you could do is work your butt off, and cheer your team mates on because all the winning takes attention away from your sorry performance. Instead, there are articles of him getting depresed, distancing himself from the team, and sleeping all alone in Paul Allen's private room whenever they take the team jet :rolleyes:

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I know of the Simmons article, but can you link the articles you mentioned in the second paragraph? I've never read anything about that and I'm curious to see them. Everything I've read out of Portland is sympathetic to Oden.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Oden couldn't post up Hayes. Outlaw couldn't post up Lowry. That's just sad.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You have no idea about Oden. He doesn't have anything close to a prima donna attitude, worked very hard in the off-season and improved a lot during the season. His pouting and doubting himself are the exact opposite of being a prima donna.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They are annoying though. Next thing you know he will try and commit suicide over a buffalo wing dinner.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Oh really?

Bigger than Michael Olowokandi?

I could keep going but it would be pointless.

He has only played 1 full season which does not classify as a bust yet.

13. GzUs

GzUs Member

Twavis is hunting Wabbits.

No way I'd sign this guy. Avery Johnson is a good evaluater of talent and since he say no, I say no...Besides, If his IQ is as bad as they say, we dont need him. Theres a 2 dummy limit on this teama and we already own Thabbeet..

14. val_modus

val_modus Member

Way to bump a dead thread fred