1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Chris Paul traded to LA Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketboi, Dec 11, 2011.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Damn, the Clippers are really going to be exciting to watch. I remember Paul throwing all these alley-oops to players like Chandler and Okafor. Now he has two guys who can jump out of the building in Griffin and Jordan. How do you even try to stop that :confused:.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Well its over and who lost the most? Not the Rockets. They still have everyone. Lakers lost Odom for nothing over this and real old now. They probably lost Dwight Howard and Chris Paul in one day off this move now. I am feeling pretty good since we are where we always were anyways.

3. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Why so much Stern credit? Dale Demps was the good cop and Stern was the muscle.

Since when has Morey had a player like Chris Paul with a mandate to sell him? I'm quite sure he would get a good deal too.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear you. But even if he leaves the Clips (which would make me giddy) owners, IMO, need to stop being so afraid of losing stars for nothing that they will trade them for darn near anything. Drive a hard deal. Stern did right by the Hornets. Clippers are taking a risk, but it is worth it given what they have in Black Griffin.

And I agree with you on small market vs. big market and leveling the playing field. Calling the game by the book and fairly was my basic theme during the lockout. It is hard enough to defend without letting stars crab walk and travel around defenders. I just think to how Sactown got screwed vs. LA years ago and I still get annoyed.

5. rocketsfan23

rocketsfan23 Member

i hate daryl morey. he never ever makes big risks!

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If Morey could veto Stern's trade and push his own trade through, he'd "win".

Not a level playing field there to make comparisons.

7. valorita

valorita Member

trade some of our young assets and cap relief for Okafor?

8. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Stern has got the best package of talent ever in this situation. Stern dominated this deal like no other. People forget that CP3s stats have went down 3 years in a row and he has hardly any cartilage left in his knees. How can you be sure Morrey would have done the same? Many people in the NBA said the Rockets offer was the best stern could do. Stern knew better and did what he had to do

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

All Hail EMPEROR STERN!

10. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

It is a level playing field Stern didn't force the Clips to take this deal. So what if stern vetoed the trade Dell Demps knew that stern would have final say in any deal. Stern thought about it and decided it was a bad deal for NOH.

Stern was proved right, look at the haul of talent he got.

11. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Lmao, what an awkward situation for Billups..although he might not mind since Clippers are a guaranteed good team now.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Dell Demps knew that? Really?

NO ONE knew that. That's why it was such a huge shock. If it was so mundane as you claim it was, then why did Demps and Morey contemplate quitting? Demps was supposed to be the guy with authority so that it would be independent and fair. Instead, Stern b**** slapped us and the Lakers.

If you can't correctly recollect what happened a week ago, I don't see why I should be speaking with you.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Great move for the Clips, especially if Paul opts in for 2012-13.

Learn to watch other teams and players play before you waste everybody's time with your posts.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Badass trade for the Clippers. I don't care how much they gave up, all those players will never equate to the type of talent Chris Paul has been all these years. I doubt the Minni will be a high lotto pick, probably mid to low, so this will make this trade look even better. Gordon is a good player, but he will never be as good as Paul. This is going to be great for the Clippers. Sometimes you have to give up quite a bit to get a player of his caliber and other times you don't, but this time they had to bite. They'll get their depth later.

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

ShaneBattier Shane Battier
    Wow, can't believe that the Clips relented and gave up Eric Gordon. That dude is legit. But NOW what do we talk about??? Basketball anyone??

16. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Ehh....two? Scolom and Martin maybe?

Pugs

17. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Seriously.

:rolleyes:

18. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

I wish Morey and Demps would both quit, Bottom line NBA owns Hornets. Stern had to do what was best for the Hornets and he did. If the NBA owned the Rockets and we were in the same situation you would be giving all the respect in the world to stern.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Blake Griffin is a transformational/once-in-a-generation type of player. Sterling never had that. If he screws up and not able to resign Griffin, then he would be kicked out of town with the quickness.

The Paul signing basically shows to BG that the organization as a whole is serious about contending, and thus about appeasing Griffin.

The only team that is better than the Clips now is OKC, barring injuries/chemistry issues.

1) Stern's main goal is to sell the Hornets. What package of Martin/Odom/Scola is appealing to potential buyers? I'm sure Stern knows some other team will bite, as the Clips did.

2) On every team, the owner always has some say in the final decision of all trade/signing matters. Demps set up the trade, Stern didn't think it was good enough. That's all. You don't think Morey relays to Les what he will do?? If that's the case, Morey could spend all he wants and care less about what Les says.

Again, what Stern did was not a good PR move; but it was the right "basketball" move b/c it ends up making the team better in the long term "potentially," and thus appealing to potential buyers, his #1 goal.

When you have a chance to sign a top 5-6 player, you do it. You already have a franchise player, and a chance to add a 2nd one is not something that happens yearly or even every 5 years, especially to an organization like the Clippers.

This move was not only a great basketball move, but a move that shows Griffin that the clips are now a serious organization, not the laughingstock of the league.

Yup, Gordon is a stud, an all-star in the making. But he's not Chris Paul, nor will he ever be. You gotta make that trade 10 times out of 10.

I hope with more shots/freedom in NO, EG will blow up.

#459 t_mac1, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  20. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

If Paul sticks around this will be dynamite because they'll have cornerstones to build around.

HOWEVER

I don't think they are championship contenders like people are saying. They have ZERO depth at any position outside of the 1. I believe there are no shooting guards on their roster right now and playing Billups-Paul together would be a DISASTER on the defensive end.

I'm not convinced.