1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Lakers, Hornets trade now dead

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 8, 2011.

?

CP3 to LAL, Gasol to HOU, Odom/Scola/Martin/Dragic/pick to NOH. Do you like the move?

1. Yes

332 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No

585 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pau "soft b****" Gasol --nice :p :grin:

1 person likes this.
  2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

HPbasketball Hardwood Paroxysm
    Pretty sure the Yao thing has sent Rockets fans off the deep end. They're acting like this trade makes them a top-three seed. #uhigh

He must be following this thread. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  3. TMackin713

TMackin713 Member

I actually went to high school with him. He didn't have a great attitude back then, but maybe he has changed. I know he can't shoot for crap though.

4. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

All I here from everyone is complaining. No matter what you people are never happy. There's only so much Morey can do with what the Rockets got. I think he's done a pretty decent job so far.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I miss the days of athletes having awesome nicknames. This one should stick.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Gasol was traded to LA in the beginning of his prime. They gave up on him in MEM just like people gave up on Zack Randoplh. Now look at him.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nuance and comprehension of the bigger picture, is not your thing, huh?

DD

8. crocktees

crocktees Member

Gasol has not averaged more than 20 pts in over seasons. Please stop the hype.

9. crocktees

crocktees Member

Sorry, over "6" seasons.

He did from 05-07

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

A couple of 50 win season in a tough Western Conference.

We saw Toronto with Bosh as the franchise guy.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Could we separate the debate of the quality of the trade with the updates of the trade into different threads?

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I feel like we as NBA fans in general are missing the boat on this trade.

You can always attribute NBA championships to "superstar" play, but there are 10-15 "superstars" in this league. What sets some apart from others? It's not just accumulating superstars, like Miami did. At its core, basketball still requires some STRATEGY.

Dallas did have Dirk, but no way they win last year without Dirk AND Chandler in the frontcourt.

LA had Kobe, but no way they win without the size of Odom, Gasol, Bynum.

Boston turned Perkins into a defensive force and, combined with Garnett, really did have the toughest frontcourt that year.

There's a theme here people. The superstars do matter at the end of games when you need a bucket and everyone knows it yet STILL cannot do anything to prevent it (see Dirk last year, Kobe two years ago, and Lebron's FAILURES each of those years lol). But they matter a lot less than the size and post domination that carries a team for the other 98% of each game.

That frontcourt size is more difficult to acquire than the late game moxy, and frankly it's not a mutually exclusive endeavor either, as your dominant post player can also be your go-to guy in the crunch. Dirk was that guy last year, Garnett when Boston won, Duncan when SA won, and Shaq when LA won. There's a precedent for building championships this way, people. LA never gave Gasol full rein to try this out because Kobe wanted the ball at the end no matter what, but who's to say he could not have been the Guy?

I know I'm always defending stuff like this, but I'm just trying to see all the angles to this deal that are makign it worth doing, if our front office thinks it's worth it.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bigger picture? If it was up to you we'd have

AB
    Von Wafer
    Budinger

As our "Championship" backcourt.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Go read the PER on Gasol. Sigh. :eek:

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ris-paul-los-angeles-lakers-trade-resubmitted

The New Orleans Hornets' three-team trade with the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets that would land Chris Paul in L.A. has been resubmitted to the league office for approval, according to sources close to the talks.

The Rockets' part of the trade is exactly the same, with Houston sending Luis Scola, Kevin Martin and a 2012 first-round draft pick to New Orleans, while receiving Pau Gasol from the Lakers.

The rest of the specific changes to the original trade scenario were not immediately available, but sources told ESPN.com that a reconfigured trade has been presented by the league-owned Hornets to NBA commissioner David Stern in hopes that he'll approve this construction after vetoing Thursday's trade in principle.

16. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Best case scenario. Martin/Scola/Dragic for Gasol/Nene/Max Mid Level Player
    Worst Case Martin/Scola/Dragic for Gasol/Dalembert/ Still about 5 Million cap room for somebody (after amnesty cut)/Max Mid Level Player

Either scenario not too bad. Prefer the first option but either way drastically changes our front line

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Whats the bigger picture we are all missing here?

If they sign Nene, they are better immediately.

They also have enough talent at the 4/5 to trade youth aggressively for contender like pieces to fill out the starting lineup.

18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

:grin:

19. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Worst case is actually teh tradee gets vetoed again and we're stuck with a pissed kevin martin

20. NateNate

NateNate Member

Cheese crackers