1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Lakers, Hornets trade now dead

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 8, 2011.

?

CP3 to LAL, Gasol to HOU, Odom/Scola/Martin/Dragic/pick to NOH. Do you like the move?

1. Yes

332 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No

585 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. plates300

plates300 Member

that's a very big IF.

2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Man.....Pau or Paul.

That's an L of a difference.

Do not like.

5 people like this.
  3. kphung89

kphung89 Member

i dont think we'll get marc. grizzlies will do whatever it takes to keep him.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

You could say that about any team, including Miami.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Awesome !!

DD

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

there's gotta be more to this than just Gasol, especially if we're giving up Scola, Martin and picks.

7. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

when i say future players i mean the draft picks.

8. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

They'd still have Dwight also.

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...ckets-could-get-Gasol-from-Lakers-2390275.php

After six months in which he could talk only to other general managers, you knew Daryl Morey would have been heavy into trade talks. That's to say nothing of going 10 months since his last deal. His finger is getting pretty itchy on that trigger.

If he pulls the trigger on the deal in the center of Thursday's discussions, it would represent virtually blowing up everything he has been building before the roster he had put together had achieved anything. Perhaps he just decided it never would.

Multiple reports had the Rockets as the third team involved in talks to send Chris Paul to the Lakers, with the Rockets sending Kevin Martin and Luis Scola out to get Pau Gasol. A person familiar with the talks confirmed the Rockets are in "discussions" on the deal. Another individual with knowledge of the talks said it is "nowhere near done. Nowhere near."

If completed, however, it would represent the Rockets' belief they cannot escape their middle-of-the-pack status and that they absolutely had to get a center. Gasol, though usually a power forward with the Lakers, would be that center. The Rockets would step up their efforts to get Nene to be the power forward next to him.

The Rockets just signed Scola to a long-term deal before last season, just traded for Martin a few months before that. They have played one season since.

The move might clear room for the Rockets to bid large on Nene or other free agents next summer. But will it matter? Send Chris Paul to LA and it seems better than even money that Dwight Howard will get there, too. Andre Drummond better be pretty fantastic.

There might be some pretty extreme changes to all this before 1 p.m. Friday, though it would seem worth asking if the Hornets would trade Paul to get Martin and Scola, why are the Rockets helping the Lakers.

The short answer is that they could have gotten Paul. They have tried for so long, they knew what it would take. But for whatever reason, they must be convinced he would be around for 66 games at most.

If the Rockets make the deal that leaves Kyle Lowry as the only Rockets player left from the Rockets 2009 playoff team.

Chuck Hayes is as good as gone, with the Sacramento Kings making an offer worth a full mid-level with which the Rockets will not compete. Shane Battier was already gone, banished from the Rockets' roster at the trade deadline with no movement toward a return now that he has become a free agent and began Thursday with a tweet to announce tweeted his decision to join the Heat.

The Rockets would be left with an implosion, like when they take down those old stadiums with a push of a button. Of course, those moves are made to build something else. This would make it official, if it wasn't before, that the Rockets after Yao and Tracy McGrady are rebuilding.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm with you...but make no mistake, that's it. it's not about bringing in pau to compete...or at least that better not be the idea.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hear ya!
    I think the Basketball GODS won't let that happen
    One major injury to Paul and Kobe please

12. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

The GARM is BACK!!!

:grin:

1 person likes this.
  13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Pretty sure M. Gason is a FA. And I dont understand why people think Nene + P. Gasol will take us to the promise land. A lakers team with the same Gasol, Bynum (though I admit, he was hurt), and a back court of Kobe friggin Bryant got swept last year !

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am interested. I mean its a direction with a healthy big man who is elite. Dont know. Depends on what the Rockets are offering for the whole deal.

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

LOL @ idea of Gasol at center and Nene at PF, this must be a joke

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm convinced that w'ere misunderstanding something, either who's sending what or this whole thing is rumour blown out of proportion.

Maybe the Lakers are sending the picks, maybe we're not sending Martin, I really doubt that Morey would give up two players of the same skill level for one player of a slightly better level AND picks AND prospects. Especially when we'd be helping to build the next showtime era.

If I have to see Paul hold up that trophy with a Lakers jersey, knowing we sent the Hornets the right pieces to get him there, I'll puke. Especially because then every Kobe fanboy will say he was better than Jordan because he has more rings.

17. Rockets_4_life

I'm assuming the picks involved are the NY 2012 pick and the T-Wolves 2012 2nd rounder.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Who cares if they get CP3...it only matters if they ultimately end up with Howard. Trading Pau for CP3 is a downgrade for the Lakers imo.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree. This is nothing like a Morey deal.

The one up above where we give up picks, Dragic, Martin, Scola, all for Pau.

What are the Lakers giving up for this to happen? Just Pau? That's insane, where is Bynum at in this deal? That's a lot to give up for Pau with no guarantees on getting Nene or Marc.

20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I thought the same thing. No way in hell Gasol is playing Center. I'd rather have chuckwagon playing center than Gasol