1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm surprised no one has started a thread on Morris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ericdwj, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ericdwj

ericdwj Member

But this guy really has the ability to be something really special. He seems to have that "swagger factor" in his game. I know he may struggle defensively but he has the attitude to punish his opponent on the other end. I am really expecting him to do well this season, best case (but achievable) is carmelo-lite. Any thoughts.......

2. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

I'm also looking forward to seeing him play, probably more than any other rocket this season. I just wish it was the other way around and he was a monster on defense and his offense was lacking. We are stacked on the offensive end, I'd like to see some defensive players added to the team now. Morris should be fun to watch though.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am surprised as well. Morris is our own Pierce/Melo type of player. :p

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I really think he will end up being a 4 most of the time, he does not have the athleticism of pierce or melo. He is a polished offensive player though, I think he makes Scola expendable...a Patterson/Morris combo will be very good.

5. cdastros

cdastros Member

I really like Morris, but this team will start the season with him in the D league like every other rockets rookie. It looks like the rockets are not going to make major changes from last years lineup.

6. Rockets_4_life

Actually Morris tested out the same as Anthony athletically (3/4 court sprints and vertical) at the nba draft combine.

He's a 3, he's fast enough and athletic enough to play the position.

7. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree, and don't forget his defense is pretty solid also.

8. ericdwj

ericdwj Member

I'm hoping that moving obvious talent to the d-league theory (early on) is over. I think that got abused because of Aldeman refusal to play players at times. I can see see Parson moving down initially, but McHale seems like he will give everyone a fair shake. Morris is their 1st round pick I would think they would want to see him on the floor.

9. ericdwj

ericdwj Member

Agreed, but he not a horrible defender. I think he's a good rebounder also. I worry about his lateral movement though.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He will play in the Dleague more than on the Rockets, unless there is major turnover.

DD

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I'm really hoping he plays more on the Rockets than the D-League this year then!

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Hard to tell bro, He's got MAJOR offensive skill & attitude to match. If he adjusts quickly to the league then WATCHOUT!

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

He will play more on the Rockets than Budinger.

14. gah

gah Member

Do I foresee a tip jar bet here? c'mon put your money where your mouths are.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I lul'd. Truth.

16. DaDakota

If they are both on the roster all year, you will be forced to choke down those words.

Bud has already adjusted to the NBA, Morris has not, it will take some time for him.

I know you think he is the next superstar player for this team, and man, I hope you are right, I guess we shall see.

I think that he has some work to do to prove himself first, and with a shortened training camp, he probably does a significant stint in the D-league.

DD

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Morris himself pertained to the fact that he will play the 3 for the most part and has to get better on D especially lateral quickness.

18. DaDakota

If Morris can prove he is good enough to play a power 3, that would be a nice addition to this team, a Morris/Budinger combo would be nice, one a finesse outside shooter, the other a power post up banger in the Shawn Marion role......that would be sweet music to the Rockets for sure.

DD

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

hopefully... if bud gets his grove back.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

His history with Lowry will help. When people compare him athletically to Melo they need to also realize that Carmelo Anthony at his NBA combine was 19 years old. This guy is 21, so it's not fair to expect the same thing.

HOWEVA...he doesn't have to be Melo. So long as he can provide us with average or slightly above average play from the SF position, both defensively and offensively, that will be a huge upgrade for us.

Budinger's PER bump last year was nice; it took him almost to average level for a SF, but it completely ignores the fact that he probably gave us a negative PER for how bad he was on defense. In this league with the superstars they have at SF now, it's best to either get a superstar yourself or a defensive stalwart at the position. There's just absolutely no permitting playing a replacement level player there who is frightfully bad at defense like Budinger.