1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Jake Delhomme

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Nov 29, 2011.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

But But....what about Brett!

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think this is a better signing than Clemens.....

DD

3. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Strike two for Garcia....................

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Ugh. I'm pretty sure he needed help signing his name on the contract.

He certainly had good games, but that was the year he started having shockingly horrid outings (including a 12 rating against the Raiders). This was the year people realized there was another Steve Smith, the following year Other Steve Smith eclipsed Real Steve Smith because Delhomme simply could not deliver the ball anymore.

In 2009, he was an unbridled mess. It wasn't because he had a meltdown in the playoffs against Arizona - that was a sign of an existing issue and things to come, not a cause.

I'm of the opinion that even though he wasn't knocked out of games with concussions, he took enough shots to the head that he simply began to slow down in his processing. If you watched him starting around 2008-2009, more and more often he looked as if the game was moving to fast for him. His arm strength wasn't an issue, he simply made terrible reads, missed open targets, made terrible decisions, and constantly was a second late releasing the ball.

And people were ragging on the idea of Sage.

Yeesh.

God bless you and shine upon you, TJ Yates.

5. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

[​IMG]

Still better than Favre

1 person likes this.
  6. HPD

HPD Member

wtf.... sign jeff so we can at least watch his wife and her playmate friends if the game gets out of hand sun.....

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

it seems like i'm in the extreme minority on this board, but i think he will be our starting qb before this season ends.

not saying that's my preference...i don't have one. i'd love for yates to demolish the league and become one of the greatest stories in nfl history. i just don't see that happening.

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Yes!

Indy, here we come!

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm not ready to give up on Yates, and probably won't be until maybe three or four weeks from now. This is a huge situation for a rookie. Last week was, too. By all means, he played as well as could be expected. Kubiak loves him. Dilfer likes him. Mel Kiper liked him coming out. His teammates will rally around him.

I'm not saying he's going to come in and be great. I'm just saying, him being in doesn't automatically mean we're screwed.

I say this with all due respect to all of you hates, Woah there, motherf*****s.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

completely agree with all that, but this is such a crazy, unique situation. they don't have the luxury of giving yates weeks and weeks to work out his kinks and see what they have in him. they have to decide within (IMO) the next 2 games MAX if he can be the guy, or if he is definitively a better option than delhomme, to carry them through the playoffs.

my prediction is, if we lose this week and he's anything short of stellar, delhomme is our qb week 14.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I am/was high on Yates. But rookie QB's have won what -- 2 playoff games all-time?

12. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Year Team Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT Rat
    2009 Panthers 178 321 55.5 2,015 8 18 59.4
    2010 Browns 93 149 62.4 872 2 7 63.4

Jakes past two years in the league make a pretty good case that the Texans are doomed... Unless TJ Yates steps up.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

very low, but it has to be more than 2 doesnt it? didnt flacco win 2 himself?

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Eh, I don't think it's that simple. Remember, we are also looking at the Titans' situation as well. If they lose to Buffalo this week, that gives us some breathing room as far as letting Yates develop. Now, if Tennessee goes into Buffalo and wins, and we lose to Atlanta (due to Yates), that will DEFINITELY make things interesting going into the Cincy game. At that point, I honestly don't know what the Texans do. My guess is that they have given Yates two weeks (internally of course....I don't think anybody has told Yates this) to see what he can show, and if it's anything resembling serviceable, they go with him for the rest of the year. And if Tennessee goes out and loses to both the Bills and the Saints, I think we roll with TJ no matter what.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Flacco is the only rookie QB to win 2 games in the playoffs, that much I know.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Got this from JWarren14 from TexansTalk:

[​IMG]

NSFW for Language

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's funny that people say they have the same types of personality, because they even look a little bit alike.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Scenarios:

We should expect losses vs ATL, @CIN
    We should expect a win @IND
    We should expect NO to beat TEN

Magic number to eliminate TEN is 4, and we should expect 2 to be a given. Beat Titans on NYD makes 4.
    Beat the Colts, and Ten is virtually unable to win tiebreakers (one hope is common opponents*) - that means the Magic number should only be 1 if we beat the Colts and they lose to the Saints. 1 additional win from us, 1 additional loss from them.

We're in a tough spot, but let's give TJ a chance. "Upset" the Falcons at home, and we've virtually wrapped this up. Take care of the Panthers, and same story.

19. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Mark Sanchez and Flacco are 2 rookie qbs who have done it. Why cant Yates?

20. RedNews

RedNews Member

No he isn't. He isn't even the most recent one.