1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]Hilarious Blog Article by Jeff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Saw this on facebook and wanted to share, written by Jeff:

Sick of Nickelback? Remove Them with Nickelblock
    By Jeff Balke Tue., Nov. 22 2011 at 1:00 PM

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.
    ​The holidays are a time for miracles and small gestures of goodwill by your fellow man. It's also a time of pushing and shoving and trampling to save 15 bucks on a flat screen that has the resolution of an iPhone. It's a complicated time of year.

But, something that isn't complicated is Nickelback. Lots and lots of people absolutely hate them. It's hard to say exactly why. Had Nickelback emerged in the hair band days of the 80s, they likely would've been lauded as a refreshing alternative to Poison and Warrant and, God help us, Firehouse.

Well, this ain't the 80s and the line in the love/hate Nickelback sand is about as clear as the one between Aggies and Longhorns, Hatfields and McCoys, Team Edward and Team Jacob. If you fall on the hate side of this equation and you use either Firefox or Google Chrome to surf the web, you might want Nickelblock.

The browser extension aims to rid your web experience of any mention of Nickelback. Essentially, it puts a big box over the name anywhere it is mentioned. It even puts asterisks over the name in the browser tab.

Add the plugin and you never have to feel that wash of anger pour over you when you accidentally stumble across the Canadian rockers online. You can chuckle at the fact that all they are to you now is a big gray box. Consider it an early Christmas present.

link: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2011/11/sick_of_nickelback_remove_them.php

Hilarious...:grin::grin:

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I didn't realize they were still around.

3. RedNews

RedNews Member

Never understood why anyone would "hate" a band. Do you really think you are being clever?

I'm not a fan of Justin Bieber music. So I don't listen to it. Are there places I don't know about that force people to listen to music they don't like?

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Bars.

5. liljojo

liljojo Member

I think people just hate Nickelback because it's the accepted thing to do.

Same reason why Scarlett J is on everybody's short list of hottest women in the world.

Sure, she's undeniably smokin', but no way 95% of all people everywhere with infinitely different tastes can't find 5+ women hotter than her.

In the same way, Nickelback sucks hard enough as is, but hate for them is intensified because for some unknown reason, society has singled them out as the popular band to hate.

6. Manny Ramirez

Scarlett is smoking because of her rack and the fact that she is single now. Those help but she is very attractive, IMO.

Nickelback has lots of hate because for some reason, corporate radio feels that their music is the music of the people and thus they are shoved on you when you turn on the radio. I guess they are the Journey and Foreigner of the new millenium. And although Steve Perry and Lou Gramm could be jerks, I don't think there is a bigger douche on the planet than Chad Kroeger (Nickelback's lead singer). That doesn't help them feel the love.

7. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Nickelback haters will find this to be very good fodder:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pvujgcbaCF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Basically, someone's overlapped "How You Remind Me" and "Someday." Listening to them at the same time, it becomes apparent they have the exact same chords. Just goes to show that all they really do is the same few songs over and over again. Zero points for originality.

But I admit that I don't mind a Nickelback song every now and again. Probably because I get very little exposure to popular music in the first place. I don't listen to the radio or go to bars. I remember hearing an Avril Lavigne song for the first time and thinking it was pretty good... but she'd been a thing for like 3 years already and everyone else was sick of her. Just goes to show insulated I am. Hrmmm....

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I agree.

Most of the people that 'hate' Nickelback now probably own at least one of their CDs. They listened to Nickelback in the first place because it was the accepted thing to do, and now they hate them for the same reason.

A lot of people would do themselves a lot of good if, the next time they were thinking of getting some band-of-the-moment on iTunes, they stopped and asked themselves: Will I be embarrassed to admit I liked this in a few years? Will I claim to hate this in a few years?

Imagine how much ****ty music would just disappear if people actually bothered to develop their own tastes.

But, the world is filled with people. Most of those people claim to love music. Very few of them actually do. What they love is pop culture, and pop culture will always change and **** hardest on that which it previously endorsed. That's what keeps pop culture in business.

People don't "hate" Nickelback, and no one ever "loved" Nickelback (well ... maybe a few fools) - what they are doing is allowing the forces of pop culture, forces that are ultimately nothing more than market forces, to completely determine their tastes.

9. AtheistPreacher

I think that's a little bit elitist, personally. How exactly does one "develop his/her own tastes"? I guess you could just reject pop culture out of hand just because it's pop culture and you'd like to look cool and aloof from the "trends," which is what a lot of people who talk this way actually do. Or you can just really go out of your way to listen to a crapload of music. But even if you do that and find some obscure bands/songs that you like, that doesn't invalidate the new stuff that's coming out.

In any case, there's a balance between getting sucked into every pop culture trend on the one hand and being stuck up or stuck on a particular style of music on the other hand. I'd like to think I've found a decent balance, but the truth is that you'll never find anyone willing to admit that they have poor taste in music. There's no accounting for taste, after all, and no real reason to.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I hate nickelback thanks to the radio playing them at every possible chance they get years ago. I don't like their brand of music, but wouldn't really mind it much if I didn't have to listen to them every time I turn on the radio.

This also goes for many pop songs out there over the years.

Blame the radio.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nickelback is somehow even worse than Creed. I used to listen to trash music like that when I was 16. One day I got really stoned and listened to Radiohead's OK Computer and it opened my entire musical palette. Now I listen to sweet Indie jams and am much better than most people.

The following bands suck:
    Mutemath
    Mumford and Sons
    Foster the People
    Shinedown
    Cobra Starship
    Switchfoot

And whatever else can be found currently playing on EddieWasSnubbed's iPod

12. AtheistPreacher

You know, there was a very brief period in my life when I did listen to the radio while doing homework. And there are two songs that stick in my mind as being overplayed to the point where I had to fight the urge to stab myself through the eardrums when they came on. The first is "Sunny Came Home" by Shawn Colvin. The other one is "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden. I'd be more than OK if I never heard either of those songs ever again. I never liked either one that well to begin with.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think growing up in Houston and having the Buzz... Which plays about 30 bands that sound just like Nickelback, makes me hate them more than I should. But geez I hate this band. The singer really has women issues, it's about time he comes out of the closet.

14. Manny Ramirez

Not Foster the People! :( :eek:

LMAO - you forgot to add 36 Crazy Fists or whatever the hell their name is to your band list (if it was me, I would replace Foster the People with 36 Crazy Fists but that's just me)

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Gotta agree I love the Foster the People sound. Saw them in concert with Reptar both bands were amazing. Along the same sound The Joy Formidable and Naked and Famous are bad ass.

16. what

what Member

The first time I saw Scarlett was in Ghost World. And at the time I thought Thora Birch was pretty hot, but I didn't even think Scarlett was that cute. It wasn't until the whole world feel in love with her that I started thinking she was hot.

So I can say that I was indeed influenced by the media attention paid to her beauty.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

No hate for Blue October? I wish those guys weren't from Houston.

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I have less hate for Creed because at least they had the decency to break up and go away.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. I didn't like Nickelback when they came out because I thought they were talentless hacks. Because they're still around, and somehow still getting airplay, that dislike had lead to outright hatred. It may be unreasonable and irrational, but I positively loathe this band.

And no, I've never owned anything by them.

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Come on now... You can't tell me you don't rock out to this song.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9zueKq3z3Sk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Manny Ramirez

The Joy Formidable is badass!!

Exactly - well said.