1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your thoughts on Smoking

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pugsly8422, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

You know what gets my goat? When I walk directly behind your car and have to breathe your exhaust. Stop driving, d******d. ;)

That same smoker who's bothering you so badly on the sidewalk would probably be more than happy to smoke instead inside a bar or a restaurant or any of the millions of places he's been forced out of. I thought that was an extreme position at the time, but apparently you don't just want to ban it from indoor areas, you want to ban it from anywhere you might like to be, inside, outside, anywhere on earth that you'd prefer to avoid the inconvenience.

Cross the street already. Jesus.

2. RedNews

RedNews Member

LOL. Spoken like a true internet warrior.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't drive, i take taxi's...

watch out for my taxi batman! :grin:

actually what i usually do is just hold my breath until i overtake them ;)

4. Batman Jones

I do the same thing when I encounter a smell I find distasteful. Maybe this could be a solution for the rest of the whiners in this thread as well.

5. Batman Jones

"LOL." Please enlighten me as to the proper way to reply to an "I'll kick your ass" comment on the internet and I promise I'll do better next time. TIA.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Because everybody hates them :grin:

Having met both of you in person, I'd definitely give the edge to BJ. For a vegan liberal he looks like he could thrown down on some ass.

johndoe no offense but you kind of look like a hobbit.

7. Batman Jones

That is hilarious, moes. I am a harmless widdle p***y cat.

Edit: I guess I could probably still take a hobbit though.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

None of those are mobile like walking smokers. I have no problem with someone wanting to smoke on a sidewalk. I can avoid or pass them easily, which you can do as well for the street vendors or restaurant exhaust. It's that easy.

It's not as easy to avoid a walking smoker who leaves a cloud of carcinogens that forces it on those who happen to be behind and on pace with said smoker.

See the difference?

9. SPF35

SPF35 Member

Street vendors are situation in one spot and you can see it. It is not all over and if you see it you can avoid it. Solved. Restsuarants are the same and if you go inside one that is fair game and they are also situated in the same spot so you can walk further so on.
    The smokers need to ahve the same designated spots. Not where you can just walk around everywhere blowing smoke in people's places. Not only is the smell unpleasant to many people, but the health affects are documented. If you want ot smoke fine, don't shove it in others throats, goto a private area and do it. Simple common courtesy

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The key difference there, the suffering is in your mind. Whereas smoke can really actually f*** people up who have vasomotor sensitivity to it. Nobody actually has violent, uncontrollable biological reactions to the smell of meat. That was an association you learned and/or chose to make (meat = unpleasant). I didn't choose to be violently ill when exposed to smoke. Plus, even for people who aren't super sensitive, smoke is still hugely hazardous to human health. The comparison is not really apt, especially when you take into account SPF's points as well.

#150 DonnyMost, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I've never really felt any animosity toward smokers, but have had no desire to ever bother with it after seeing how it contributed to the health of three different family members.

Having said that, though: I don't really know that tobacco companies are worth the effort smokers seem to often put into their defense in these discussions.

12. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

If you replace "smoke" with "fart" in most of these posts, this thread is hilarious.

2 people like this.
  13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

dudes, smoking is nasty and it makes your breath smell.

you should quit.

and encourage others to quit.

/thoughts