1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player Efficiency Rating: Comapring Jordan and Hakeem.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by KD, Nov 14, 2002.

1. KD

KD Member

This year, NBA.com lists players' efficiency rating in its statistics section. The formula is listed there. I saw some people calculate Jordan's and Hakeem's efficiency year by year in another newsgroup. Jordan has the highest score in a regular season with 36+. Hakeem's highest was in 92-93 at 34+.

I went on to do my own calculatiion using the NBA.com formula.

Currently, Steve is rated at no. 2 in NBA with a score of 30+. I think McGrady is no. 1 with a score of about 31.

Jordan's average of all regular seasons: 30.74
    Jordan all playoffs averages: 30.93

Hakeem average of all regular seasons: 27.17
    Hakeem all playoffs average: 30.99

Shaq regular: 29.79
    Shaq playoffs: 29.47

Tim Duncan regular: 27.36
    Tim Duncan playoffs: 28.5

Reggie Miller regular: 18,73
    Reggie Miller playoffs: 18.89

Despite what most media have tried to shown us, Hakeem is comparable to Jordan in terms of big performance in big games, if not better. Bear in mind that Hakeem had some really terrible games in his twilight years.

Regardless of the bias of the formula, Hakeem raised his game more than anyone else in the playoffs. It is not an exaggeration to say that his playoff performance is stuff for legends.

I really miss the big fellow!

2. foodworld

foodworld Member

I haven't bothered to see what the formula is, but I doubt it's accurate in comparing these two particular players. I assume that it is some version of linear weights, or something like it, but to me that is an unreliable measure of output because there is simply no way to gauge the importance of one statistic in correlation to others (of course, if this is crude output we're talking about, then it would do). For instance, do blocks always force turnovers? If not, does the player fall out of rebounding position, in which case he fails entirely at getting a defensive stop? What about steals; can he go for the ball without giving up space? Can this player run the floor if he does recover the ball, and is there anyone to fill the lanes? And how do totally unrelated offensive numbers compare to this? Assists especially - poor passers can still find looks that teammates, even those players who love set-shots, aren't prepared for. And what about a guard with a good inside-outside game, who kicks it out to someone at the top of the key, who passes it to a shooter in the corner... that isn't taken into account either. This to say nothing about picks, which aren't official stats.

I failed every math class I was in, but this should be fairly obvious. Nevertheless, I can say from a statistical standpoint that I'd rather have Hakeem - or any other great center - over Jordan. The center is just that: the center of the team's defense (and numbers certainly show this) because they can get in front of the opposing team's best low-post option, block his position and clog the passing lane inside - not to mention take the bulk of the team's rebounding load. Offensively, if opposing teams must focus on the center, there are always perimeter players and cutters as passing options; teams always make the mistake of collapsing towards the center, even though the greatest ones can't carry team offense by themselves (and enjoy great success when they don't, see the 1996 Western Conference Finals).

Jordan could never have won a title if he had Hakeem's supporting cast. Without Horace Grant or Dennis Rodman alone, his team would be doomed without a banger inside. Though Randy Brown just may have been expendible...

In any event, since you were doing post-season comparisons, you compare James Worthy's regular season/playoff ratings? I'm sure you can find his career stats somewhere. ;)

3. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

From nba.com:<blockquote><b>
    Efficiency Formula: ((PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK) - ((FGA - FGM) + (FTA - FTM) + TO)) / G</b></blockquote>
    Looks something like "total productivity minus missed shots and turnovers per 48 minutes" ("/G" more precisely means "divided by minutes played times 48"). Judging by the rankings (Grant Hill #1, Stevie #2), it seems to skew towards the little guys.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

foodworld makes a good point...pippen didnt hurt either...it would have been interesting if dream and clyde would have been able to team up earlier in their careers....might have had some amazing finals matchups. but oh well thats in the past, but fun to think about:)

5. foodworld

foodworld Member

This doesn't even account for pace. So it makes sense that Nowitzki is ranked higher than Kidd or Duncan, even if he means much less for his team. I've only seen him once this season - against the Celtics. Watching Antoine Walker use his body to work on him (pervert!) was painful; he was beaten on the drive a few times, and gave plenty of inches for Walker to score inside and didn't even contest his shots (he can only seem to block in transition). Since he didn't help off the weakside either, I guess he makes the case for offensive boards (he doesn't seem to get many, but I'm too lazy to check his stats) being weighed more than defensive ones.

If this is how fantasy teams compute score, than you can stack them with garbage-minute shooters on the Kings (Damon Jones), Mavericks (Walt Williams) and Bucks (Michael Redd) at little cost - like getting them in a larger trade package. But what fantasy team would be complete without Vin Baker?

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

My god. This formula is flawed. Jordan is the best player ever, playoffs or regular season.

7. IVFL

IVFL Member

Actually I think this is called the Bird Formula, he averaged around a 36 pre creaky old man

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

they use this formula with Virtual General MAnagrer