1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Chili Recipes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pimphand24, Oct 31, 2011.

1. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I prefer a combination of pinto and kidney beans, although sometimes I go with the 9 bean chili.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Pinto. I don't care if it's not authentic...I like the soft bean texture mixed with the slightly more chewy beef. I usually hold off on adding the beans until 20 minutes before I'm ready to serve, so they don't get too soggy.

However, I do not like tomatoes in my chili at all. Don't understand how beans causes more of an uproar than red sour slimy things floating in your chili.

Also to the OP, another thing you can do is throw in a slice or two of bacon in the pan, and brown the meat in bacon grease for extra flavor. Also, after the meat is brown, add some chicken broth and bring it to a boil...an enzyme in the chicken broth helps to tenderize the meat. From then on, just add all the ingredients to the pot. Use beef or chicken stock instead of water. I also like to use one 12oz beer. Right before serving, you can mix some corn starch with a little water and stir into the chili if you want it to be a littler thicker/less liquid-y.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FIFY.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

chili was invented in san antonio and they didnt have any qualms about putting beans in there. chili was a poor mans grub and alot of times they couldnt afford meat so beans made a good substitute.

actually dear sir, when you put beans in your chili you are being authentic and dont let anyone tell you otherwise! the only way you could be more authentic is if you ate your chili whilst wearing a sarape and jamming out some sweet conjunto tunes!

i bet most of the people saying beans in chili is not authentic use storebought seasoning packets. how authentic is that yall?

5. leroy

Don't change the subject.

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you arent the boss of me.

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

It's time for THUNDERDOME!!!

Two men enter, one man leaves!

8. leroy

Maybe I am.

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

No, I said....

10. droxford

droxford Member

Chili was most certainly NOT invented in San Antonio - it goes back way farther than that.

Read this: http://www.chilicookoff.com/history/history_of_chili.asp

Bottom line: NO BEANS

We've had this dicusstion before (link). The "beans" people lost.

11. droxford

droxford Member

12. DCkid

From you link...

"Originally," says Valdez, "chili was made with meat of horses or deer, chile peppers and cornmeal from ears of stalks that grew only to the knee. No beans."

Bottom line: NO BEEF

13. RedNews

RedNews Member

I've never heard anyone say you had to use beef. The main problem is beans. They don't belong in chili. Ever.

14. DCkid

Yeah, but some people are arguing beans aren't in chili because they weren't originally used in chili. Could you not say the same for beef?

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

My father has been into chili cooking this past year. He and a neighbor have entered into three (3) contests. Our neighbor however is more experienced and better qualified.

Chili is essentially meat, vegetables and most importantly chili peppers. Because there are a number of ways to prepare all three you must decide what to do based upon your experience, your preference and what other people are expecting.

I recommend getting to know your peppers first. This will have the biggest influence on how hot your chili will be. There are a variety of peppers and ways to prepare them. My father makes his own paste by reconstituting dried peppers whereby you soak them in warm water.

There are also chili powders you can place into your chili. If you don't think your chili is hot enough, just add some scotch-bonnet sauce. Taste a little bit before you apply to your chili. That stuff is atomic hot.

Of the exotic things people have put in their chili I think brown sugar has the greatest affect. Some others are honey, chocolate, beer, coffee and even whiskey. Remember, at the end of the day it is your chili.

16. droxford

droxford Member

In my opinion, good (and even great) might be achieved with venison, bison, or beef (or a combination).

If you start trying to use only pork, turkey or chicken, you are starting to stray away from what chili is and are on the fringe between chili and a chili-like dish.

But if you add beans, you're way off, and should not call the food "chili". Don't misunderstand - beans are tasty. They're just a side dish.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

droxford is VERY SERIOUS about no sauce on bbq and no beans in chili!

:mad::mad:

:grin:

18. droxford

droxford Member

Pretty close, yeah.

Great brisket should be eaten without sauce. Normal restaurant brisket can be eaten with sauce.

Chili..... no beans.

19. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Could not agree more. Make this man a MOD please.

20. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

I think I am going to go with Rocketman Tex's recipe (second post in the thread quoted). It seems to be getting the most thumbs up around here. Rules are that I cannot use scotch-bonnet.

I could really use some advice on which chiles to use if any of you have any ideas because I don't know anything about chiles. Rocketman Tex's recipe is a little bare in details so it doesn't help in the chile department. But no scotch-bonnet or other atomic chiles.

Also, another question. Are tomatoes supposed to be treated like beans when it comes to Texas chili? As in, its no longer Texas chili if it has tomato in it?

As for a beer to go with, I think I'll choose Shiner Bock.