1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jackson Delivers Blunt Response to Rice's Complaints

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MoonBus, Feb 1, 2000.

1. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

TIM KAWAKAMI , Times Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO -- Coach Phil Jackson had a smile on his face but there was bite in his words.

Asked about Glen Rice's postgame comments Sunday that he hadn't touched the ball enough in the second half of the Lakers' loss to Houston--Rice made one of seven shots in the game and missed his only shot in the second half--Jackson shrugged, grinned and said:

"Maybe he didn't deserve any more shots.

"He was having trouble putting it in, anyway. But I didn't find anything that was sitting there for him, now that I think about watching that second half."

Jackson said the Laker offense at the start of the game was designed to get Rice shots against Rocket forward Walt Williams.

"He had what we consider an easy defensive man playing him and it was a point of weakness on the Houston team," Jackson said. "But we couldn't take advantage of it. And that hurt us yesterday."

The Lakers have lost five of eight since their 16-game winning streak ended and Jackson said the slide is mostly due to a lack of teamwide energy. How can the Lakers solve the problem?

"I don't know," Jackson said, again breaking into a coy smile. "Maybe it's time for us to start thinking about moving personnel on, you know? Maybe we can't get anybody to play together. . . .

"We're just going to have to do it, . . . we're going to fix it somehow."

I can't stand Jackson and his stupid "coy smile". I am glad that his Faker team is having problem. Now, I just wish Rodwoman will join the team.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Jackson said the Laker offense at the start of the game was designed to get Rice shots against Rocket forward Walt Williams.

"He had what we consider an easy defensive man playing him and it was a point of weakness on the Houston team," Jackson said. "But we couldn't take advantage of it. And that hurt us yesterday."

Can you believe this guy? Who openly disrespects an opposing player like that?

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It may be true, but that's just another classless act by this jerk. Could you imagine another coach just coming out and calling an opposing player an "easy defensive man" and a "point of weakness"? There are just other ways to say things. Do you think Rudy would ever say something like that? It's just not something you do if you have a shred of class. Geez, all these quotes came after only one game. I can only imagine the stuff this guy must reel off over a whole season.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Freak, didn't you hear what he had to say about his own players? I remember a while back, he had some kind of left-field comment about how the guys weren't learning the offense because all the rap music had given them ADD (or something to that effect).

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Its not like its not true, Freak. Walt can't guard my 80 year old grandma.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I don't see what is so wrong with the guy. He's a good, smart coach. He doesn't try and be phony and is usually straight forward and to the point.

I don't think he did anything that wrong.

------------------
    The key for the Rockets is a winning attitude and mentality which can only be had by winning basketball games.