1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pau Gasol

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketFan85, Nov 16, 2002.

1. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Anyone out there of fan of him? He is my favorite player not on the Rockets. But I feel like Memphis is not using him enough. Him and Drew Gooden are fighting for the same spot. I think Gasol is the better player between Gooden and Gasol, but it looks like the Grizzlies are going to be playing Gasol behind Gooden before the season is over. Gasol does not deserve that and should be starting. If the Grizzlies like Gooden so much then, shoot give Gasol to the Rockets!

2. kbm

kbm Member

Gasol will not play behind gooden. In fact, gooden and gasol are starting. Gasol is also playing the pf spot again rather than center. There are a couple of reasons why gasol is not getting his numbers now. First, he hasn't totally felt comfortable in hubie's system, so instead of playing natural he is thinking too much. Second, hubie is relying on gorden person and williams more than just dumping it to the inside players. Fear not, pau will be his old self before long.

3. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Of the games I saw on TV, and I did not see the game on friday when Pau had a off night and got benched before the half Gooden has been just jaking up shots. I don't see how they will have enough room for Gooden, Gasol, Battier, Wright, Swift to all have playing time. They also have two rookies Robert Archibald and Mike Batiste who play forward and get about 10 minutes a game. They are going to have to get rid of someone.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think Gasol is the better player now, but Gooden will be a very good player as will Gasol. I don't know who will be the best between them, but I think Gooden has a chance to be better. I don't know, I hardly get to catch a Memphis game and I seems that Gasol isn't as good a shooter as people say. In fact, I think he's a pure post player and not anything like Dirk, who he has been compared to.

5. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I agree he is a post player, but have you ever seen his post moves? They are awesome, he realy has some nice move around the basket. Pau's game too me is alot like Toni Kukoc with more of a post game. Or even a young Vlade Divac.

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Gooden will probably end up being better. He's just a MONSTER in the post.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Good may be better at scoring and rebounding, but Gasol is more well rounded, and thus, IMO, a better player.

The thing that has really sold me on Gasol is his all around play. There was a game this year where he had something like, 24pts, 11rbs, 5blocks, 5assists and 5 steals. Nice line!

Gasol is a very good passer. Hes had alot of TOs this year, but I feel this is an aberration. Memphis would de well to run their offense more through him and let Gooden and co. serve as complimentary players.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

They'll be a fine tandem for a long time...Battier is the odd man out, I expect. Too bad, good guy. Imagine Wms with Battier's head and heart!!! And size.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Think of how Memphis will look with Williams gone and maybe a T.J. Ford running the point (if he comes out his year).

10. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I like the idea of Form playing for the Grizzlies. Think how many dimes he would get with all those post players in Memphis.

If Battier does get the boot, and leaves as a free agent the Rockets need to look into him. He would make a nice Small Forward who plays team ball and sound deffense.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Gasol is a great player,he is my favorite player not on the rockets.I think they wil try to play them both.Miaybe gasol at center,but he prefers PF.so it will be dificult,maybe some SF for gasol,he can play al tree positions.

you are totaly wright. The only reason those two are being compared is that they are from Europe and can dribble the bal wel for a big man,Gasol can shoot but he is no shooter,he is a post player.And he is a better defencive player than Dirk.

12. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Pau Gasol is a great shot blocker and has excellent post moves. His shot is good but not great, but Gasol has a bright future in the NBA I just hope he leaves Memphis.