1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brandon Lloyd's on the trade block: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vinsensual, Oct 13, 2011.

?

Brandon Lloyd?

1. Eh might as well.

99 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. No more bronco inbreeding.

19 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is the longest argument over a #2 WR I have ever seen, and likely will ever see.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I think that supports what others are saying about production in relation to the catches.

Yes McCaffrey might have been a #3 in targets. And yes McCaffrey is better than Kevin Walter

And Brandon Lloyd is better than Kevin Walter. So Instead of a solid McCaffrey-lite, get that better McCaffrey production.

Also Ed McCaffrey was a late bloomer himself. He didnt do squat diddle up until age 30 like Lloyd. The season in reference was his breakout year (also in Denver like Lloyd). We know that McCaffrey would maintain his level afterward. Why not think Lloyd could do the same? But we'll never know.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Because McCaffrey and Walter both have 3-5 inches and 30-35 pounds on Lloyd. They're a different kind of receiver used differently in *this* offense: They're expected to block and are big, mostly possession-types. Lloyd could maybe, possibly fill that role; I just don't think the Texans view it as a priority nor do they view #2 WR as a problem. Walter does *exactly* what they want him to do. He's not out there because they don't have someone better.

4. Major

Major Member

But that's a circular argument. You can argue that is by design; I can argue that it's because their #2 WR is not all that great at receiving (ignoring the run-blocking, etc for a moment). If you had a better #2, maybe he would catch more passes - that's what we saw in Denver as McCaffery developed.

Not all yards are after the reception. In general, WR's are going to go deeper down the field, so they are probably getting more yards before the catch too.

In the message I was responding to:

I know everyone thinks we need a #2; but this offense works in a very specific way and I'd wager *they* don't think they need one.

You seem to think that we just need a good run-blocker there. I think the team would benefit by having a higher-end pass catcher. As far as replacing Walter, why is that even necessary? A good chunk of plays are known passing downs, so Lloyd could play all of those. Another chunk have 3 WRs, so he'd replace Jacoby in those. Between those, he'd play more than half the downs, without taking away from Walter's run-blocking capability. And that's ignoring all the weeks when a WR is injured and he'd step in full-time for those, which looks like it might cover at least the next 3 or 4 weeks.

This is the year for the Texans - they've been stuck in mediocrity and finally get a huge break with a division with two of the worst teams in football, giving them what should be 4 free wins. Given that, we're still only talking about 9-10 wins and just hoping to make the playoffs? At this rate, the Superbowl goal will be in 2015 or later, after everyone on the current team is old. They had an opportunity to build an even more dynamic offense that can stretch the field at the expense of a 5th round draft pick - you run with that every time.

I'm pretty sure if we lose any of the next few games, one of the complaints will be "we needed AJ!" or "without AJ, they just put everyone in the box to stop Foster!". Lloyd helps keep defenses honest and could easily be the difference in a game or two, which could be the difference between the playoffs and not.

5. Major

Major Member

I didn't include Mason in the above because I don't think he's the dynamic receiver that Lloyd is. He seems like a solid possession receiver - but I'm not sure he's any longer a guy that can be a primary option - he seems more like a Walter. Hopefully he can, but I'm not nearly as sold on him as what I think Lloyd can bring.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

When you have a chance to have a #1 receiver be your #2, you take that chance...doesnt matter what offense we are talking about.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Except that we have a pretty definitive pattern. Heck - look at Washington: guess who the second-leading receiver was last year and again this year. There's a go-to WR; a top-tier TE; a big possession WR - in that order. Been like that in multiple places. It's not a coincidence.

When all three were healthy and on the field together in Denver, the clear hierachy was 1. Smith, 2. Sharpe, 3. McCaffrey (who was in his 8th year, btw, in 1997). It changed when Sharpe got hurt and then subsequently left. But we've seen this offense in three different cities now, and they all look similar.

No; you're arguing something I never said. I think Kevin Walter is a top-flight pass catcher; perhaps the most reliable hands on the team. If Schaub gets a ball within his zip code, I am confident far more often than not that Walter is going to make the catch. I personally have ZERO problem with Kevin Walter. He's not the fastest WR in football, and I don't think he's a #1; but he's perfectly capable as a #2.

You're right - part of this is the vernacular. If you want to talk about Lloyd taking Jacoby's snaps - OK. That's more of a fit for Lloyd's skillset. Where I'm struggling is the repeated use of "#2 WR" - we have one of those; he's pretty doggone good and the team seems to agree. They've made no effort to replace Kevin Walter in the six years he's been here.

That's (repeatedly beaten down) fan talk - what does it matter? I doubt the Texans think this is a 9-10 win team they hope can make the playoffs.

Again, I think they would tell you you're making an argument for a generic every team and ignoring how this one is specifically built.

I'm always OK with upgrades. But, again, we're talking about replacing Jacoby Jones, a guy that is often your 4th or 5th option.

And if we win them all, I doubt anyone will revisit this thread and admit that they might have overreacted about our need to improve the WR position.

One of the better players in football is hurt; this will look a whole lot better once he's back. This offense has never suffered because they didn't have two top-flight WRs on the field.

AND... I continue to get no response from anyone re: Lloyd’s (lack of) trade market - why is everyone ignoring that and roasting the Texans for not dealing for a guy 30 other teams didn't want? The only team that thought a supposed #1 WR was worth a 5th round pick was an 0-5 team who's QB is in a walking boot. But, sure - let's curse the Texans.

(And, fyi, the argument - generally - not you, specifically, Major - would have *a lot* more validity if EVERY available player wasn't instantly elevated to franchise-changing status. I mean, when you're arguing Mike-frickin'-Sims-frickin'-Walker would be an upgrade, you kick a giant hole in your creditability.