1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you do diffrently after the Rockets won the two championships?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Slack, Oct 8, 2011.

1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Its been slow in here. But I've been thinking about this for awhile. What could of the Rockets did differently after that? For me the biggest mistake was trading away Cassell and Horry for Barkley. Those two were clutch and many reasons why we won those two championships. We did bring in Barkley to defeat the Sonics, and we did but after that the Jazz just killed us. CD was looking short term for a player that was downhill.

2. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

You pretty much explained it

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, if you go by the reasoning of many here the past few years, we should've traded Hakeem before he lost all his value. After all, he was declining and became more injury-prone in his last years here. Should've traded him right after the championships when his value was at his peak.

Personally, given 20/20 hindsight,

Scenario 1: 90s rebuilding
    Trade for the #12 pick in 1996, take Kobe Bryant, and if he says he'd rather play in Italy than Houston, let him do just that until he stopped whining.
    Tank for #1 in 1997.
    If No get #1 -> Tank in 1998 for top 10 pick. Then trade up for #10 with our extra picks to grab Dirk and Pierce.

Scenario 2: 00s rebuilding.
    If obtained 2002 #1 pick, trade for 2003 #1 from a horrible team and other stuff.
    Tank in 2003. Hope for two top 5 picks. Don't draft Darko with them.
    Tank in 2004 and 2005, hoping for Dwight Howard or CP3 or DWill(not bad odds)

Profit!

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

There were some other trades in the works that never went through.

One was Damon stoudamire in 1998.

I want to say there was another one but can't remember.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Nothing really. The rockets were good because dream was really really good. He started to drop off and so did the rockets. I think pheonix started 0-13 after making the Barkley trade. We made to it to the WCF whereas I think we lost in the 1st round the year before. I think 98 and 2001 where we had three draft picks in each draft is where we screwed up. The should have draft lew instead of that turkish guy. The got have got RIchard Jefferson, Zach Randolph, Tony Parker, arenas instead of eddie griffin.

1 person likes this.
  7. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Yeah, for that jazz series I don't remember all the specifics except in the end when malone was killing Barkley on offense and he was stopping him on defense...even when drexler and eddie johnson were shooting well, Barkely continued to deny them the ball and try to take it in the post only to put up some crappy shot over malone. Barkley had some really bad games that series...he was owned by malone and that costed us. If we had horry that series he would've played better D on malone and pulled him away from the basket with his long range shooting. Charles must have been drinking too much at that time or something...yeah he was 33 years old but damn his inconsistency sucked balls.

8. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

i would have worked more on developing serge zwikker and roderick rhodes so they both could have reached their potential and we would be talking about serge and roderick instead of shaq and kobe as the greatest guard/center combo of all time

1 person likes this.
  9. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

It started earlier with the trade of Drexler. Since then the Rockets got old and this was the first change that begetted other changes and every season it was winning now! Sure we got that 2nd championship but was it worth it ?

I say no and even the players admit that with the problems in 94-95, that team still could've worked out. Thorpe was still great, Herrera was having one of his best seasons, Cassell was improving, Horry was improving, Kenny was still good though having some ego issues. Maxwell was unfortunately trying to do too much and obviously frustrated with himself and the team, which erupted that night in portland.

To me, the trade for Drexler should've never been done. Trading a guy just coming off a strong season and a championship in Thorpe was a big, if not the biggest mistake in that period of time. With the team getting older, the trade for Barkley makes a lot more sense. Without that trade for Drexler, there is no trade for Barkley imo.

Maxwell was becoming a pest in 94-95 and would've probably left the team at the end of the season anyway, with his contract situation. They could've replaced him with Elie and try to look for a good back-up or replacement in the following two / three years.

Thorpe could've eventually been replaced with Herrera - why they let him go after 94-95 is still beyond me. Cassell would've taken Kenny's starting position and we would've had a bright future for years to come. It all died in 94-95 and the organisation has made mistake after mistake. CD was a big screw up with the trades he made and draft picks. The guy preceding him should've never been replaced.

10. RealistFan

RealistFan Member

I disagree with those who say the Barkley trade wasn't worth it. The 97 Rockets were an abolustely championship worthy ball club. We just didn't hit out perimeter shots in game 5 and then Clyde shot the ball too early in game 6. That's a finals appearance. After Dream's knee surgery in 1997, I think we should have started rebuilding right away instead of giving it another shot with the Quitten trade. We got swept in 96 but our whole team was broken down and injured so we could not build chemistry that year. People never mention that, they just remember Seattle sweeping us. The one trade we should have done is for Damon right before the 1998 deadline. We offered Willis and Maloney and that was clearly a weak offer in Toronto's mind. Rudy didn't want to low ball any of the big 3 so that trade was dropped.

11. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

I would have recorded the 2nd championship on DVD! I can't find it for sale anywhere...but the first is available. Smh.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Don't forget about Elie. He had a big stink about it.

13. RealistFan

RealistFan Member

I can't believe I forgot to mention the huge blunder we made by trading away the 1996 first round draft pick with Vancouver. PG was a huge problem that year and you saw that when Stockton ran all over Sedale and Maloney. If we didn't trade that pick, we could have drafted Derek Fisher who has always had good defense and shooting ability. Sedale brough creativity but bad defense. Maloney played really well against Seattle but he got dominated to the highest degree by Stockton.

14. RealistFan

RealistFan Member

Did he? I can't remember but I wouldn't be surprised. When the OT-Glide trade was announced, he didn't like that either since it took away rebounding.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We would have beat the Sonics without Barkley no doubt. We had a solid team and we blew it up for Barkley who was nothing but a malcontent problem maker with no killer instinct.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The team before it WAS a championship team. You are saying this team could have if they hit some shots but in the end you have to face it: they didn't.

Big shot bob, Sam and Maxwell could have all hit those perimeter shots with ease.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

God that is just so freaking false... Barkley was our best player for a solid 3 years after the deal...

Dream and Clyde showed a much more pronounced slide than Charles. They were no longer hungry like they were before. Barkley was the last hoorah to try and carry those two across the finish line one more time. The great thing about Chuck is that he TRIED to give Dream and Clyde the chance to lead as much as possible, but overall he was the most effective player on the team. Barkley should have been WAY more selfish. He did a lot of dirty work and nasty rebounding, and Dream and Clyde just weren't quite the same. Not to mention the fact that Matt Maloney sucked major ass cheese...

1 person likes this.
  18. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Barkley was lazy and threw his teammates under the bus.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now I KNOW you weren't around for those championships...

That is SO ABSURDLY FALSE that it isn't even worth justifying with a response.

Barkley was the heart of the team when he got here, and he played harder than anyone. He was the only guy that wasn't satisfied. He nearly led the league in rebounding and he was just a monster in general.

He had the 4th best PER in the entire league in 96, the 6th best in 97 and the 8th best in 98...

#19 RudyTBag, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the uniforms.
    you don't see the lakers, celtics, pistons, bulls, change their uniforms after they win championships.

3 people like this.