1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The #1 Myth On This Board Right Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DREAMer, Aug 8, 2000.

1. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

And it has been for a while:

That Hakeem has sucked the past TWO years. Below are his stats from the year before last (1998 - 1999). A year in which he played in EVERY game, and averaged 35.7 minutes a game.

PPG - 18.9
    REB - 9.6
    STL - 1.64
    BLK - 2.46
    FG% - .514
    FT% - .717

Now, when you look at those numbers they don't jump out at you as being worthy of a MVP. But, remember that he had to share court time and the ball with Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen.

-----------------------------

This is not a thread meant to say, "Hakeem will come back next year at 100% and dominate again." Because I don't believe that. I'm simply sick and tired of people continually saying that Hakeem has sucked the past two years.

GET IT RIGHT PEOPLE. KNOW THE FACTS.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

2. RENDIGGLER3:20

I totally agree with you dreamer.You know his numbers were not that bad last season either,for his minutes i actually think he was quite productive.

------------------

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ren,

His total numbers last year were not impressive, but what is is if you look at Hakeem's game by game stats from last season. Look at Dream's stats from the first month of the season, before he was hurt by the hernia and the breathing problems. They were quite impressive. I agree that if Hakeem could stay relatively healthy for this season, he could be a huge boost to our playoff hopes. He isn't what he once was, but when healthy Hakeem is still definitely one of the top 5-8 centers in the game.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Third Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000971.html

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Like Sir Charles' highest personal comment -Hakeem is an honorable man.

Excluding the asmatic condition which can be "trained" away, a well-conditioned Hakeem is capable of similar numbers to '98-'99.

On satellite, I watched every Rockets game last year. I am somewhat saddened to see that Hakeem has lost the competitive fire.
    I think this is the only valid criticism which can be levied.

Want a "Hoosiers" kind of ending? How about if Hakeem and Cato (both of whom are unjustly maligned) show up in great shape and post MVP stats splitting the minutes at the 5 and sparking the team to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Now *that's* the way to go out in your final season.

------------------
    GATER

5. RENDIGGLER3:20

Cat I agree with you his numbers were not impressive.I also agree that he played his best last year at the begining of the season,and when he came back you could tell right away there was something wrong with him, after posting him up 2or3 times he was already tugging at his shorts.Im just saying in his condition and playing time he didnt do that bad.If his name wasnt olajuwon would you be mad at:11pts,6reb,and nearly 2blocks in 23min a game while still shooting around 50%.

------------------

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Sorry, it's late. I meant the asmatic condition can NOT be trained away!

------------------
    GATER

7. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Great post. Can you imagine if Cato put up those numbers?

CBFC

ps. get ready

------------------

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I think you have to look at the team, not just individual numbers.

How many times (thousands) have I read or heard how Allen Iverson sucks because he hogs the ball. Sure his stats are great, but his team isn't. He doesn't help the players around him.

Rudy preaches over and over about team chemistry and how that is more important than talent and personal stats.

Are we ready to abandon all the hype that we are giving the future of our basketball team so that we can kiss Hakeem's butt. All that stuff about how our players like to all go out together after the games and how they are developing great on court chemistry doesn't matter?

Hakeem got those numbers by having the ball fed to him in the post over and over again running the offense and getting eliminated quickly from the playoffs (with the help of Charles and Clyde). He definetly wasn't helping team chemistry.

The real myth on this forum is how Hakeem is supposedly teaching all of our big men how to play. I've read this quote at least 100 times and it has absolutely no validity or real evidence: "...with Hakeem there to help (place average post player name here) with his game..."

[This message has been edited by Doctor Robert (edited August 08, 2000).]

9. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Dream cannot deliver another championship to Houston, and he is a shell of his former self. He should retire now, instead of embarrassing himself this season.

------------------
    -The expert has spoken, so shut up and try to comprehend the truth.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yea, thats a real Rocket expert. First of all, yes I believe Olajuwon can still play well. Second of all, The last 15 years of this franchise (13 playoffs i believe) has been because of Hakeem. When the Rockets won the first title, they were the first team who statisticly got outrebounded during the season. Olajuwon was that good that year, he has led this franchise his whole career and he deserves to go out on his own terms. Like Jordan, Bird, and Johnson. Because his name deserves to be placed among those three as all time great.

------------------
    Rockets games are like a box of chocolates, you never know whacha your gonna get.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Expert is definitely not an expert. Hakeem is still the best center on the Rockets and one of the best five centers in the NBA. He still shoots around 50% which is great since he doesn't dunk very much anymore. He also gets his boards and blocks. So he can't run with the kids during fast breaks. What center does run on the breaks?

More importantly, hakeem is still one of the best on the defensive end. And defense wins championships. Look at our first championship season, we were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. Hakeem was so good that they had to move the three point line.

Hakeem will be the X factor if we are to do anything in the playoffs this season. And yes, we are going to the playoffs.

Hakeem with asthma is better than Cato. Nothing against Cato, Hakeem just happens to be one of the best that played the game.

Last thing, Since we are way above the cap, Hakeem only counts for a little bit. I think about 5 mill, I could be wrong. Name a center we can get for 5 mill that is better than Hakeem.

------------------

12. BobbyWarren

BobbyWarren Member

RocketExpert: Do you have ANYTHING productive to say on this BBS?

We've been through the entire Hakeem issue before. He can be a big help to this squad, and I think we've shown that through some pretty solid evidence.

Maybe you'd be better off looking for a Janet Reno web site to roam on (For any of you puzzled by this, see thread labeled "Is this the proper forum?")

------------------

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

RocketExpert should stop posting before he further embarasses himself.

A healthy Hakeem can still give u 15 points and 9 reb. Throw in like 2.5blks and a steal or two and u have a top 4 center in the Western Conference. If Hakeem is healty this team will make the playoffs, and make some freakin noise. Lets get Jamie Feick in here to help out our big guys. A team of Hakeem, Feick, Langhi, Mobes, Shandon, FRACIS, Cato, and Walt can definitely make the playoffs. But without Hakeem we are not going to make it.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Posting in stupid threads is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

14. Miggidy Markell

I agree that Hakeem can be a very productive player and he is quite capable of putting up really good numbers but he only shot 45%FG last season........just wanted to point that out.

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

15. Sane

Sane Member

I'm not even gonna bother justifying that hakeem is better than he showed last season and WILL get healthy......

I wanted to answer Doctor Robert.....
    When ppl on the board say that Hakeem will be here to train our big men, i get the drift.....i feel he same....t's not his job....but he could if he wanted to....you see, hakeem never says he'll help out....He only ever said he'd help TWO big men IF we got them....they were Olowokandi and Olumnide Oyedijii....none of them ever came, and ppl should stop posting that hakeem will tutor our big men....unless he becomes an assistant coach after next season..........

------------------

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Couple of things:

Dream is still one of the NBA's best centers, but at his age he can be dominated (like just about every other C in the league) by Shaq by his sheer size. Also Dream has achieved by hsis spped more so than his size and last year he did lose a step. I'm not sure to attribute that to his asthma, age, aches & pains but he wasn't moving as well & he wasn't jumpinag as well. If Dream can move he is still in the upper class of centers, located right below Shaq.

Like someone else mentioned Dream at 60% is better than Cato at 100%, so I hope he can play effectively this year.

Also although I would love to see Dream tutor the younger players, I don't honestly think it is his responsibility. Players can learn the same things by watching films and practicing than by having Dream tutor them. The only real insights Dream could give is what he focuses on (ie if the double-team comes from the top I spin to the baseline if available and if not I look for the fadeway or the open man). But the one thing is it could help the youngsters confidence to play & learn from Dream, but I don't think Dream wants to tutor.

------------------

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

what i think has happened to hak is a lack of fire. i don't care what his line says.

hak's game, i'm sorry to say, has been garbage the past two years.

nevermind the #s, i mean important things like:
    • how about hustling up the court?
    • how about contesting every shot?
    • how about pulling some of our big men aside and being a vocal leader? (the time for him to lead by example has passed)
    • how about jumping for a rebound?
    • how about hustling for the ball, instead of only bending at the waist?
    it hurts me to watch him play like this, and while yes, i know that he has given us a alot, i also feel that if you can't put 100% on the court you need to keep your ass in the locker room.

keep the $18,000,000. you earned it. but leave a spot on the bench for someone who wants to - and can - hustle for his money.

[This message has been edited by verse (edited August 08, 2000).]

18. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think the point of DREAMer's whole post was that statements like the one you just made are completely not true. Did you not see the stats DREAMer posted of Hakeem's 98-99 season? While he was very unimpressive last season, atleast give him credit for the 98-99 year.

I don't know where you got that, but that is definitely incorrect. All $15-$16million of Hakeem's contract count against the cap.

You're kidding yourself if you think Hakeem is still one of the best 5 centers in the game. He didn't shoot 50% last season, either. Hakeem can still be a decent contributor off the bench, but he is not a Top-5 center.

Hakeem was a beast that year, but to say the 3-point line was moved back because of his prowess is nothing short of ridiculous.

What does him being one of the best to play the game have anything to do with the current season? That is the past. Kelvin Cato on his game is a superior player than the current Hakeem Olajuwon.

I find it very naive to think that Hakeem can still contribute double digit points and rebounds. What?...is his asthma condition suddenly going to disappear? It's not a knock against Hakeem to say that he is no longer an elite center. The man is closer to 40 than he is to 35, and his body is breaking down. His back must be killing him after all the years he had to carry this team on it.

I think realistic expectations for Hakeem this season would be 10-12 minutes per game, contributing around 6 points and 4 boards per.

------------------
    "At least I screw sheeps..." - Corey Benjamin of the Clutch BBS.

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

did you not catch the entire point of my post? it goes deeper than stats. it's about all the things i neatly listed. hustle, effort, leadership, intimidation, etc. all the things, which for the last 2 seasons have been missing for hakeem.

were his #'s good 2 years ago? yes. was his effectiveness good 2 years ago? no.

#'s lie. in fact they f&cking lie.

perfect example: allen iverson:

• #2 in the nba in points per game: 28.4
    • #3 in the nba in steals per game: 2.06
    • #3 in the nba in minutes per game: 40.8
    • 4.7 assists per game (not bad for a sg)
    • 3.3 turnovers per game (not too terrible)

not bad huh? yea, but i would not even allow allen iverson on my team because of the negative impact he has on the court/team. is hakeem a negative impact? no. but he definately is not doing everything i (and a lot of other people) believe he could be doing.

again, it's not about the numbers. dennis rodman could enter a game, craziness and all, and completely change the direction of the game without stacking stats. don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating rodmanism. my point is that it's not the stats, it's the effect the player has on the game. if he gets 10-12 minutes or 1-3 minutes, i don't care. as rockets fans we deserve more than a cameo. we deserve no less than 100%.

hilarious.

wouldn't believe it if i hadn't read it.

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

20. OT

OT Member

None of us know what Dream is going to do this year. His respitory condition may be the same and he will not be able to play 10 minutes a game. I have not heard or read anything that indicates that he has even been on a basketball court since last year. I know he has been training but, he himself said he did not know how he would be until he got on the court again. I hope he is healthy and can end his career admirably. He deserves it.

------------------