1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do teams go outside on fourth and short?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Nov 10, 2002.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I've never understood this, and the Texans probably just lost the game because of it. Purdue did this a couple of times against Ohio State yesterday. When you have players the size of NFL players and an offensive line that big, it is almost impossible to not move a few inches on a quarterback sneak or a quick fullback dive. I mean, even if there is a good defensive surge, all it takes is one stretch of the arm by the ball-carrier and it's still a first down.

I'd guess that the success rate of quarterback sneaks on fourth and inches is about 90%. The only real way you can blow the opportunity is to do a toss and take the ball OFF the line of scrimmage. I can't begin to say how many teams do this.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I agree... If you only need a yard or a few inches, just take that, going up the gut.

3. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Saints beat the Panthers last year on an outside run.

4. The Cat

They were at the 2 on that play, though.

I can see why you try it if you have two or three yards to go, and maybe even a full yard. My main problem is when you have a foot or two to go, like the Texans today, and you take the ball off the line. The odds are, even by the minimal chance you are stopped short, you can move forward the few inches you need underneath the pile.

5. drapg

drapg Member

Go Titans!

i was wondering the same thing after seeing Wells run an end-around... i don't think they had confidence in their o-line being able to push tenn's d-line off the ball. (with good reason! ;) )

6. The Cat

Thankfully, we did do the quarterback sneak in the same scenario on the touchdown drive, and it worked. We might could've taken it to overtime if we had any clue how to protect. :(

Also, who the hell is the Titans offensive coordinator? I was having Greg Davis flashbacks late in the fourth quarter...

BTW, anyone watching the Rams game right now? Marc Bulger is like superman... 453 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT against a pretty good Charger defense.

7. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I understand that, but that's what defenses are thinking most of the time. If you can catch an overly aggresive defense in this thinking, you can burn them. I'd probably take my chances with a QB sneak though.

8. The Cat

I agree with you on defenses being too aggressive, but if teams are going to go after the big play I'd much rather try the playaction pass, ala James Brown vs. Nebraksa in the 96 Big XII game.

It also depends on your personnell... with a faster running back there's a slight possibilty of it working out, but Jonathan Wells is a power back... no reason to have him trying to go outside.

9. drapg

drapg Member

its not the o-coordinator... its freakin' jeff fisher. he's a white tony dungy. he's a great defensive coach, but doesn't know how to run an offense non-conservatively. i can't imagine how awful we would be if we didn't draft eddie george. i can't stand the way he keeps McNair lassoed in. McNair was the most proficient college quarterback in history at Alcorn State.

Put McNair in a better system, like St. Louis, and you have a potential hall-of-famer who would have been donovan mcnabb before donovan even matriculated at Syracuse!

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Because in NFL2k3 you'll get stuffed up the middle! Probably the same with madden.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the fourth down play where Wells was running outside was designed to get more than just the one yard needed. They tried to get some misdirection by faking to Baxter as the first runner through, and the pitching to Wells going the opposite way. I don't think they did a good job of selling the fake, and so the defense didn't really bite on it. But I think they were trying to pick up the first down and break a big play at the same time. On the other hand, late in the fourth quarter, on another 4th and 1, they did do a QB sneak so that they could keep the drive going. So I guess it really depends on the situation and the intent. Though I don't agree with the play calling in general, I know that if Carr drops back 40 times a game to throw, he's going to set that sack record by week 11 or 12. So while it is maddening to see J-Wells run into the line on first and second down, it's what we're forced to accept until we get some more help up front. We're really in a position to have our Defense and Special Teams dictate our offensive production, but right now, neither one of those units are making big plays and causing big changes in field position for our offense. So in return, the offense is forced to try and sustain long drives which at this point they have not shown an ability to do on a consistant basis.

12. drapg

drapg Member

besides, he probably would have gotten the first down if it wasn't for the great talents of Keith Bulluck...

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Bulluck is a god. With Bulluck and Kearse we may not need defensive backs in the playoffs :)

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

That fourth down hurt us badly, and when David Carr fumbled the snap inside the 15. The defense was decent and Jermaine Lewis finally showed something when he got a couple of blocks.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Why in the HELL did they do the toss on a 4th down!?!?

Why didn't they just pass the damn ball or go up the middle? I know they are an expansion team, but that play showed lack of interest in trying to win the game...:mad:

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

It's just a size vs. speed match up. Less of a perceived disadvantage going outside... RB's are usually faster than DE's, and DE's are usually lighter than DL's.

Here's a more boggling question...

Why does a center in the paint who's 7'6" kick it to the 6'1" guard on the 3 pt. line when he's the tallest guy in game?

It's all strategory.:p

The more you diversify, in any sport, the more you keep your opponent guessing.