1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Internet Troll Jailed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sydeffect, Sep 14, 2011.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

At least he can share a cell with your mom.

DD

2. conquistador#11

I don't know if i could make it without youtube, the hangout and flickr for five years!

3. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

please please please someone do a photo of this kid with morey's and yao's head, the hilarity would be too great for words.

4. Houstone

Houstone Member

Good enough?

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. sinobball

sinobball Member

[​IMG]

6. tomato

tomato Member

Anybody wanna step to that Morey? Hell naw

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

hahahaha

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Free speech doesn't protect the speech we like, rather it is there to protect the speech we hate. The guy is doing nothing more than expressing his rights. He does not deserve a second of jail time...

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Freedom of speech is essentially the right of a citizen to speak without fear of censorship. It doesn't mean that you can't be punished for your speech.

10. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I think this is protected speech...it's deplorable and despicable. But it should be legal.

11. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Yes, yes it is. Repped.

12. bobrek

You would have no problem with some random guy posting Internet videos that make fun of and disparage (for example) your daughter? The guy continually does it and breaks your daughter's heart and spirit? You wouldn't contact the authorities to try and get him stopped?

13. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Nope, he'd sit back and let it happen less he doing something illegal himself and face the ramifications.

14. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

You can "have a problem" with something without thinking it should be illegal. Yes, it is absolutely deplorable what he did, but does it warrant him going to jail? Putting my personal feelings aside (those being I think he should be thrown in jail), in the US I'm fairly certain this would be protected free speech. As an example those horrible Westboro church protestors who protest at the funerals of soldiers have restrictions on when and where they can protest, but they don't get thrown in jail for doing it...and just like this guy, they do it over and over again.

Regardless, under Texas law (and I'm fairly certain this would be the case in most US states) I don't really think you could charge him with a crime. However, it seems like a great civil suit for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

15. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I'd have a huge problem with it, but I don't think it is or should be illegal. I hate it when the Klan has a rally too, or Neo-Nazi's....but I believe it is protected speech.

I'd probably put my size 11 boot to his face, then if I get arrested for assault and battery (which is and should be illegal) I would face the consequences.

16. bobrek

You couldn't charge him with harrassment?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think you could, what about "Crimes against Humanity"?

DD

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Well if he goes to jail, its an azz-whippin comin anyway...So why not just allow those victims that were affected by his actions whip his azz....Will save time and taxpayers money!!!

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I imagine this dude has probably contributed a lot to the contents of 4chan.

20. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I don't think so. Harassment is under 42.07 of the Texas Penal Code. It wouldn't fall under the obscenity portion as obscenity refers to sexual acts. It wouldn't fall under a threat or something that is likely to alarm (this is not what the statute means by alarm). None of the sections regarding the phone would apply. So that leaves repeated electronic communication likely to harass/annoy - this sounded like one to two comments on each page, so I don't think you'd really meet "repeated". Plus, none of them comments were directed at specific people right? I thought they were just left on the memorial pages for these people.

Moreover, I don't think posting on a social networking site would actually fall under the definition of electronic communication (Texas is often slow to update these definitions).

But let's say for the sake of argument that it did fit the statute technically. I think most DA's offices would be reluctant to take the charge. Harassment cases in Texas are generally pretty weak cases. They are class B misdemeanors and generally they don't get taken unless the person is warned to stop first. That being said, this is a pretty extreme circumstance, so maybe it would be taken...but then you'd be fighting whether or not it actually met the statute in court.

Safe to assume this is a joke? Strangely, Louisiana does have a statute for "crime against nature"...but it's got nothing to do with nature...