1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China-Georgetown Brawl

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RV6, Aug 18, 2011.

1. sinobball

sinobball Member

Taiwan for you.
    [youtube]CQrdg7HAk_g[/youtube]

I know also of half a dozen more basketball fights in Taiwan if you are interested.

2. sinobball

sinobball Member

edited embed
    <iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CQrdg7HAk_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Zfan

Zfan Member

Fight happens sometime even in friendly match like this. But please keep it one on one fist fight. Watching them throw chair and 3 kick 1 down on floor is just disgusting. Its a men game not a women game. Georgetown kids might not learn this yet but the Bayi are supposed to be mature professional. What can i say i just don't want to watch this anymore.

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

What u say about my mama??

...how did no one catch this jewel?

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

sinobbal, meet KingCheetah. He doesn't even breath oxygen, just sarcasm.

6. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Pretty shameful day to be a Chinese American.

You're the ****ing host, in a friendly game, and you resort to bench clearing fights with chairs against college kids?

7. VanityHalfBlack

Fights happen all the time in Basketball game, I don't think Chinese American have anything to do with this incident unless they are in the game themselves...

8. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Why? Chinese has a reputation for being soft... we know it's not true, it's just that our culture demands more respect out of each other... so this is a breath of fresh air.

Back to the fight... you do not throw punches away from home... half way around the world away from home...

9. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Those communist thugs and their idiot fans

10. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

as the song goes, "It ain't where you from, but where you at" Gang-Starr

11. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

the georgetown player threw the first punch.

12. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

What kinda pisses me off about these Chinese teams all of a sudden are getting all gully and starting fights is that it took Yao two seasons to find the nutz just to dunk the ball. All the while we heard "the culture is different over there" "they don't look to embarass the opponent the way NBA players do". I always thought that was BS.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

would it be out of line to say that I am disappointed with the amount of karate/kung fu on display. I was expecting some bruce lee chop down

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does Birdie own that chinese team? I know he didn't like it when Kyle made to Georgetown.

Did Shep play?

15. Akim523

Akim523 Member

GT started the fight but somehow the blame is on the chinese team...
    Come on guys

16. Mr. Space City

story from a g-town fan that was in attendance.

17. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

The problem is that in FIBA rules those are not fouls. Americans never understand this when they play under FIBA rules.

Team USA has been reffed differently from 2007 onwards. Where they can play physical and slap and hit the opponents, but the opponents cannot do it to them.

Before that, when they had to play by the same rules as everyone else, all they did was complain endlessly about the refs. Tim Duncan went on and on about the refs at the 2004 Olympics, because he could not grasp that in FIBA those are not fouls. It is not like the NBA where the refs decide every game.

Georgetown does not have any creed with FIBA, unlike Team USA. So they got reffed as the FIBA games normally are. Which means fouls that would get called in NCAA are not called.

Georgetown has rep for having players hit guys when the ref is not looking and then run off. What they call "physical play". Well, the thing is that in FIBA you can play physical, but not do stuff like that, because players consider it to be unsportsmanlike.

So, basically what happened is that the Georgetown coaches are at fault for not having the brains to realize to tell their players that the FIBA games are more physical and allow more contact than in the NCAA and NBA.

And the Georgetown players are at fault for not realizing this after the game had been going on for that long.

I will not fault either side for the fighting. It was out of line for the Georgetown player to get frustrated just because the FIBA games allows more contact, but it was also out of line for the Chinese team to go completely overboard like that in response.

Americans when they play in these FIBA games though, they need to understand ahead of time that FIBA allows much more physical contact, and that they will not always get reffed softly by the FIBA refs. Basically, when Team USA plays and also when NBA teams play the European club teams, the refs go soft on the American players and call it very tight like in the US.

But, a college team like Georgetown playing a Chinese team in China will probably get reffed to normal FIBA standards. Which means a greatly increased amount of physicality and contact is allowed than the basketball that is played in the US.

Either the US needs to allow more physical basketball (won't happen because of Stern and his influence on all levels of the sport in the US), or FIBA needs to have all the time US teams reffed softer.

The problem with reffing US teams softer is that often the refs allow the US teams to still play overly physical against the other team. Like 2008 Olympics and 2010 World Championship. So that is causing a ton of legit complaints from all the other countries to FIBA.

Which leaves FIBA to then come closer to the US and call the games tight, and become less physical and softer like the US game is. The likelihood of that is very small - but after this incident it might happen, if more instances like this happen.

Because American players just do not understand and cannot deal with how much more physical FIBA basketball is. It is the reason why Team USA lost 3 straight world/Olympic tournaments. And why they won the last two, once FIBA instructed the refs to stop allowing the physical play against them.

18. summitts20

summitts20 Member

I'm just disappointed in the Hoyas because it looked like that Chinese team won the fight.

19. AFS

AFS Member

dude... please stop talking.

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lol this post exemplifies the ignorance in this thread