1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you could live in any U.S city , which would it be ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ramu3, Aug 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I really love living in Seattle, but if I had to move, it would be Portland. It's got a lot of the same qualities that Seattle does, but it's a sleepier city with a cool, laid back, crunchy vibe.

2. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

Currently slummin' it here.

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Right where I live ... San Diego

Houston is #2 though purely for family and sports reasons

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Phoenix.

NYC if I had a good paying job......

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

We've been in Austin for nearly 12 years. Now with 2 kids, I'm ready to be closer to family that means either San Antonio or back home to somewhere in north Houston. Choice there is obvious.

Outside of that, I'd like to live on the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

6. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

silent hill

7. BIG-Tnguyen

BIG-Tnguyen Member

Tempe, Arizona or Idaho.

8. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

To all the people answering Austin, are you currently living here, have you lived here in the past (if so, when), or do you want to live here based on word of mouth?

As I said in my first post, I've only lived here since '05, but I really want out.

I'm sick of traffic from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (with work happening on various highways and roads after 7 p.m. until 7 a.m.), I'm sick of homeless people at every stoplight because they got kicked out of San Antonio, and I'm sick of hippies with no talent trying to convince me that they're unique because they're "weird" and play bass for a band that's "going to make it soon."

Sorry for the hate, but I'm goddamned tired of Austin.

I heard it was a nice place to live in the eighties, but I'm ready to leave.

EDIT: I want to clarify that I have no problem with hippies. I just feel that most people in Austin are faux artists and try too hard.

And everyone plays bass. Even my girlfriend.

She actually is pretty good, though.

For years, I've seen a lady with googly-eyes glued to the entire surface of her car.

The other day, I saw a lady with a whole diorama of dinosaurs glued to her dashboard, complete with trees and lakes.

If you think those things are cool, I don't know what to tell you.

Even if you are cool with the wannabe unique-ists, you still have to deal with the college frat-boy ***holes.

It is kinda nice to have access to drunken college whores at any given time.

I will give Austin that.

#68 Ender120, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

10. Asian Sensation

Where I live... Portland... despite the rain.

No sales tax.. clean city... good food.. a lot of strip clubs... nice people for the most part... plenty of wineries and breweries.. lots of hiking areas.. Mt. Hood is close for skiers and snowboarders and the coast is like 1 hour away. Sweet places to fish and hunt. And lots of friends that work at Nike to hook me up with passes to the ES.

11. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Anything like this?

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/o6GNiHeMSHz-ihbwVyGzCg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/o6GNiHeMSHz-ihbwVyGzCg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Definitely have enjoyed my time in San Diego; awesome place to live.

Would definitely warn anyone who wants to move to Hawai'i that it's a pretty big culture shock for white people and mainlanders, be careful what you wish for. I love the place (typing this from Honolulu right now), but I know way too many people who move here for work, and leave after a few years very disenchanted with the island.

Wouldn't mind living in Houston for a year or two, will have to wait until I'm well off enough to afford season tix and the Rockets are championship contenders (so probably not in this lifetime).

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

That was funny.

This is a good thing compared to many other places.

I am in san diego and I am kind of feeling the same way about here as you feel there like I might be ready to move. I was thinking about austin but was more concerned about the cops there and being bored.

But the plan was to do it for my kids since san diego is great, but Im not completely sold on raising a child here in San diego. My kids are still young but whenever you meet a native san diegan they are usually completely inked out and look ridiculous. sure not everyone ,but there are some really weird people in california and san diego included. I am not sold on the social issues that persist here ,and I thought a place like austin might address that if I were to get the that lake travis area in a nice simple suburbia school for the kids. A poster here was talking about the woodlands and I do think the woodlands is pretty cool. I was looking at that 100 temp again though today and remembering that I may not be so down with that again. I hated the heat in Texas and part of why I moved.

someone said colorado and that might be a consideration but the reminder of those winters is tough .. wonder where for raising a family good neighborhood ?I wonder what a good place is.. perhaps a small town. Maybe somewhere in ct or even new hampshire, vermont?

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

nobody chose baghdad or kabul? :confused:

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I have heard great things about Kigali. I have several friends who worked there and one living there now. If you have a sizable nest egg it can go a long way over there, and the prevalence of English is nice.

15. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I haven't been many places, nothing I do requires travel. Been to Vegas 3 times, lived in Riverside when I was a kid so I don't remember much about southern Cal.
    From what I read on another thread, San Fran looks like an amazing place to settle in. Although I do personally enjoy San Antonio and wouldn't mind living in one their suburbs.

16. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

The city or your mom? Pics please :grin:

17. WillG

WillG Member

Los angeles

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Drop the keyboard and slowly back away! ;):grin:

If money was no object, NYC without a doubt....

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Assuming I didn't have to work in a career-type job, I'd want to live somewhere in or very near the mountains, mid-sized city at largest. Candidates: Santa Fe, Golden, CO, Cedar City, UT, Jackson, WY, and any number of cities in New Hampshire.

20. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Newport beach, California.