1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Empty Seats at Toyota Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OT33isgod, Jul 21, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Winning.

And that requires a star.

Pretty simple method of selling out games.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'd suppose we couldn't ask for much, but the reality is that if our play is bad on the court, people won't want to see that. I'd hate to go to a home game and see us lose, which is what most fans think will happen.

It doesn't matter if we get a superstar if we continue to lose with that player on the court or complaining how other players don't contribute. The youngest player on our team, NOT being a superstar, can score 50 points tonight but after a loss, no one remembers that. So what I am saying is that it doesn't help to get a superstar. Watch the dunk contests if you want to see some pizazz and flying through the air. Two points are two points.

It doesn't matter if there's a party bus to take me to the game when the end result is a loss.

It doesn't matter if tickets are free or if they give us a beer (scratch the latter, I want a drink)... as long as we lose... fans won't go again.

JUST WIN, and they will come *that's what SHE said*. :cool:

:grin: LOL!

I love these character users... :grin:

3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

like many have said already... winners bring out the fans. That's why we sold out just about every game during the 22-game winning streak and games after that..

It has nothing to do with bandwagon fans. I love my Rockets, but I'm not gonna pay $50+ in tickets, and $20+ for food/drinks and watch my team lose. I can do all that at home for a fraction of the price.

4. stmeph

stmeph Member

Ticket prices for basketball are way higher than other sports. Astros? Ridiculously cheap. Prices are about equal to -- maybe a little higher than -- Texans tickets, and there are way less Texans games in a season, which should increase their prices due to a smaller supply. Yet prices for basketball are just ridiculously high for decent seats.

And right now, the value of a ticket is just really unbalanced.

I bought a lower-bowl (corner) 14-game weekend package last year. The seats were pretty good, and watching the game live was better than anything on TV. But the prices -- $70 a ticket -- just didn't make sense as the season rolled on. Paying full price for the team right now is for chumps. Maybe later once we start winning and there's higher demand for tickets, but for this upcoming season, I could pay that same $70 and consistently get club seats instead. So I haven't renewed the same package, because the value proposition is just not the same.

Any non-marquee games offer ticket upgrades. $20 for lower bowl, $50 for club, and $100 for floor. Get cheap upper bowl ticket + $50 for club = less than the $70 I paid for the package price. I don't really understand why people will pay upward of $100 on those seats on FlashSeats for non-marquee games. Or if you just want a lower-bowl seat, it's still better to get the cheapest seats + pay upgrade price.

Until there's more demand, that's what I'm going to do instead of buying a season or package ticket.

5. Relentless

Relentless Member

I've sat in the upper bowl plenty of times and my only complaint is the ridiculous 19" old school tvs they have up there.

I think they're vhs combo tvs

1 person likes this.
  6. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Winning fixes everything.

7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

8. authentic91

authentic91 Member

yes, they really are that bad.

9. acjeitherocket

300 Red Rowdies instead of 40-50

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/osmxLwEZauk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Create this atmosphere from back in the day.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yCR85u9QngQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whenever I get married, I want the wedding party to be introduced to this song at the reception with strobes flashing and a smoke machine.

12. remjay

remjay Member

Our owner is not in touch with his fan base. See Mark Cuban.

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

just win.....

brings in the casual fans, and other people that don't care about the Rockets and just want to be there just to say they are there. It sickens me to say this, but I witnessed it during the 22 game winning streak....

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Actually this is pretty f'n spot on. The Rockets are very poorly marketed in Houston. Most people there can't name more than 2 or 3 players on the current team.

Meanwhile, Mavs games have been the cool thing to do in Dallas since around 2005. They really get into it over there, and the fans are pretty damn excited. Cuban is a solid businessman.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Mav's benefit from the geography placement of the AAC as well. The AAC is located on the edge of Uptown Dallas... pretty much the trendiest section of real estate in North Texas. The hippest bars, restaurants, and condos are right within walking distance.

Most of the "fans" that come to Mavs games during the season come there to be seen and skip the usual boredom of Hotel Zaza.

Now, the Upper bowl has some crazed fans but most of them would have no idea if Brian Cardinal or Ian Mahinmi served them coffee that morning at Starbucks. It was only when the Mavs went head to head with the Lakers in the playoffs that everyone in Dallas all the sudden went Mavs crazy.

The Toyota Center, while it is downtown, and does have a few bars right down the street, does not benefit from being right down the street from Rodeo Blvd. Coming to the Rockets games will either be fans driving in, or businessmen/women coming from work in the area.

Houston being a commuter metroplex is what can really hurt sports attendance. Its much easier just to watch the game on TV then to make a night out of driving to the game, worry about parking, food, time, etc. In Dallas, its just something to do whether you care about the game or not.

Also - Enough with the Houston/ Dallas comparison.... Ive been suffering up here for the past 3 years now. Give me Les Alexander, the Rockets, and Houston any day of the week. Dallas Sucks.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't get how the NBA stays in business with attendance being so terrible.

Why does it cost 35 bucks for some of the crappiest tickets?

17. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

$1 beer!!! Even if the place is a third empty it wouldn't sound like it with all those rowdy fans.

18. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

I agree, get more Rowdies to pump up our crowd and bring out the life out of the dead silent Toyota Center.

The team already has heart, so every game will be exciting to win, just bring in a Superstar to sell more tickets!

19. Mr_Mean

Mr_Mean Member

Bail outs, why there corprate owner is a stud. He has a bank account that would maligned industrial business owners down I 45 lol. :grin:

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Get a player people wanna watch and put forth a team that actually wins. I'm not spending my money to watch a half ass product.