1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard or Chris Paul???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cookies18, Jul 15, 2011.

?

Howard or Paul???

Poll closed Jul 14, 2012.
  1. Chris Paul

15.3%
  2. Dwight Howard

95.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why can't we have both? Chris Howard, Dwight Paul

2. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Trade Lowry and Scola for Paul, then he can help us recruit Dwight as a free agent next summer.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In matters of equal or near equal talent level, always take the taller player.

DD

4. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Trading for Paul would be a step backwards.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its given that the Rockets front office has conversations with both New Orleans and Orlando's front office quite often. These teams talk, and you bet that whether they admit it or not, they have to discuss hypothetical trade scenarios.

However, to this point, both New Orleans and Orlando have made it a point to say they are going to ride it out till the trade deadline next season with their stars, just months before their deals expire with the hopes of re-signing them under the new CBA, and convincing them to stay.

Both teams still have a good shot resigning Paul and Howard, but under the new CBA there could be protection for both teams anyways to keep them.

Under the past CBA, both Howard and Paul are the last two superstars with true power to dictate where they want to go in free agency or trade. In this case, its just Do I want to play the rest of my career in Houston?

I think Houston is an attractive place to play and retire for an NBA player, but the current structure of the NBA allows stars to team up, and become instant contenders. One of those stars coming to Houston in a free agency type of trade (which it is in reality) does not necessarily make the Rockets an instant favorite to win it.

So all in all I would be completely shocked if they were able to land a deal with either, but it would be similar to the risk that New Jersey find themselves in with Deron Williams. If Williams leaves the Nets after his deal is up next year, that franchise will be completely destroyed for 3 to 5 years.

Given the question of the thread though, I think CP3 is the better player. Anyone who watched the playoffs this past season will again understand what this guy can do alone with no help.

However Dwight Howard would most likely be the Rockets #1 target because of the injury history of CP3 and the mismatch against the entire NBA that Howard brings.

So what kind of package would the Rockets have to put together even with the risk of not knowing if either player will resign in Houston?

Orlando and New Orlean's wish list in a trade -

A. At least 2 first round draft picks
    B. One all star caliber player
    C. A young prospect with All Star potential
    D. Salary Cap relief

What would the Rockets have to give up -

A. 2012 Knicks First Round Pick & 2014 First Round no lottery protection
    B. ? - not sure if Scola/Martin/Lowry would be of interest, but given their contracts Id say Lowry is the most attractive in a trade in all honesty.
    C. Patterson/ Morris - Given the lack of depth at A & B, they might have to give up both or more.
    D. Take on one or more of the contracts of Hedo/Arenas

1 person likes this.
  6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, Chris Paul is much more talented.

But, Dwight Howard is 6'11, built like a tank and one of the most athletic players in the world. And, he's taken a team to the finals already.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What, we have ThaBeet (goes on)!

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

BTW - - who is (actually) calling the shots in NOLA?

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Why would I want Howard or Paul when we have Lowry and Scola!!! ... But seriously, I would go after both and give them the keys to the city

10. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

give aaron gray the max

11. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Since we are being serious, Kyle Lowry killed Chris Paul last year. Yes CP3 is a superstar, but I firmly believ that Kyle is not to far from him.

With that being said Dwight Howard all day!

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You can't win an NBA Championship without a bigman. Paul is definitely more skilled as a player, but Dwight is one of the best bigmen to ever play in this era. Point guards are like the running backs of the NFL, consistency is not there.

13. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Haha. I just like to imagine this scenario where Mutombo's spirit wanders independently from his body. Blocking shots across the world.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Either one.

15. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

say magics again, I dare ya, I double dare ya mothalover.. say magics one mo' dam time

16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

there, fixed

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Rep'd for making sense.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not quite ready to say Howard is Hakeem Part II, but closer than anything we have seen in these parts since we had Hakeem Part I. We are relatively set at guard.

19. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

I appreciate the Fix, but you would have been more accurate leaving it as is.

The first Matchup against Paul in Houston was when AB was starting, So that doesnt count.

The next two matchups in NO, Kyle was starting and I think Paul went like 6-23 in those games, while Lowry shot .500. He won both of those matchups

The Final game(i guess what you are talking about) was in Houston with Lowry starting. Chris Paul nearly had a triple double, but If you recall, Kyle was injured that game, He only played like 30 min and that was the last game he played all year. He was no where near 100%.

Out of 3 matchups, Kyle won Two. and the third matchup he was hurting and you could tell.

If you watch the games, Kyle does to Chris what Chuck does to Post players.

20. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Dwight. Houston already has a capable PG in Lowry, a star offensive player at the other guard position, and a top 5 offense. Dwight fills the hole at center, and provides much more defense than CP3 does. Defense without Yao has been this team's problem.

1 person likes this.