1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Netflix to raise price of Streaming-DVD option

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Just got mine this morning. The $9.99 price was just about right because as others have said, the streaming selection sucks and has sucked even worse since Starz and Sony have caused a lot of the newer movies to be taken offline. I don't know if I can justify paying almost $20 a month for DVDs/Streaming plus cable when Redbox kiosks keep popping up everywhere anyway and they even have games now, although limited selections it's a start.

2. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

i have 205 in my streaming in my queue.

I’m also in same boat as you and will be canceling my instant streaming.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, you guys are better at finding streaming movies than I am. The most I've ever had in my streaming queue was about 20 - and 18 of them were WWII documentaries.

I have a hard time finding good movies - even with that instant watcher website. And it's not as if I'm just looking for the latest summer blockbusters. Summer blockbusters aren't even my style. (never seen a single Transformer or Harry Potter movie)

Seriously, can some of you guys paste your instant queues? Maybe I can get some ideas that way.

I hear you, but $8/month is still a ridiculously cheap price to pay for a service that lets you queue up 50 movies to watch any time you want. Most are in HD too.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I have 41 on my instant stream list...but 95% of that comes from one tv show...so that doesn't really count. Movies that are on my instant? The best movie I have on there is iron man 2...but all the other movies are truly not anything that would be considered "good"...like movies with Carmen Electra or Jenny McCarthy, just bc they were hot and made the cut.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Any alternatives? Should I make the switch to Hulu Plus?

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you know, now that i think about it. this change actually saves me 20% since forcing me to switch to streaming only will reduce my monthly charges. like i said, i hardly used the DVD service. still, i would have preferred no change.

7. super_mario

super_mario Member

Same here. Does this mean that I can keep the last DVD that I get once I cancel the DVD service? :)

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'm interested in alternatives myself. Any suggestions?

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Zediva is great for streaming the new releases.

It seems as if the majority of Netflix customers either rely heavily on the streaming option or on the DVD option, not both. Therefore, it's definitely in our best interests to stick with the one option we use more often and to find an alternate source for the other option.

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Currently on the 1 dvd/streaming plan. I'll switch to the streaming only when the current plan expires on September 1st.

I don't see a reason to rush to change asap, unless you absolutely can't be bothered to find a movie at least once a week for a month and a half.

But, I do admit it is a struggle sometimes to find a movie to add for our queue, so dropping that part to save 1 dollar doesn't sting too much.

My wife and I stream movies and shows (lots and lots of shows) all the time, so it is a no brainer on what to pick.

Hollywood has really released a lot of terrible movies in recent years.

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

This is happening because of competition. The studios/production companies are getting higher offers from Netflix' competitors, thus forcing Netflix to pay more for the rights to their movies/TV shows.

12. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

is netflix streaming as efficient as hulu? sometimes i cant even view youtube 360p without constant buffering, but hulu runs very decently

can someone advise

thanks,

13. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Looks like Blockbuster has a 1 disc at a time 11.99 plan, this includes dvd's BLURAYS, and even Games

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I had to check mine after someone mentioned 150... I've watched and deleted a bunch recently, but I still have 138 in my instant queue 88 active and 55 that were saved because they expired before I watched them

16. what

what Member

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I had a Hulu Plus Trial. My big problem with it was that only some shows were available for streaming through my Xbox. I would subscribe if they made the whole library available on Xbox.

18. alethios

alethios Member

Starz is shafting them with price hikes - that's who they have a contract with.

I'm going to explore other options too. But I can't help but think that part of what makes Netflix' DVD service a paradox, is the very thing I've read from several posters here - they sit on the DVDs, sometimes for months, without returning them. I can't help but think Netflix is reacting to this trend where people don't feel compelled to return their discs. I guess they have thousands of copies of each mainstream movie, but I bet there are movies where there's not that many copies available. Not to mention the constant replacing of damaged discs that mysteriously scratched, gouged or scored beyond playability. It's got to be a losing proposition.

How do people here feel about redbox? The selection is not as great but their kiosks are virtually everywhere.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You have three options.
    A) Pick one option, knowing that you'll never have a complete Netflix experience again.
    B) Pick both options, and embrace the joy of a complete Netflix experience -- and an empty wallet.
    C) Cancel Netflix and start torrenting movies illegally.

20. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

I know I bailed, its back to redbox