1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STEIN: Cavs, Kings to swap Hickson, Casspi

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by scola4, Jun 30, 2011.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think its a good move by the Cavs. Whether or not TT is gonna be better than Hickson is anyone's guess, but Cassipi definitely feels a need for them and having both TT and Hickson share minutes would hinder the development of both. This is a pretty thin draft for SFs if Cassipi had been drafted in this class he'd be top 2 SF over Leonard and MM.

I think the talents of the two are comparable so they basically just turned Hickson into someone who can play together with Irving and TT.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

JJ isn't overrated. He has legit 4 size and length but will never be an All-star.

He's a GREAT rebounder and decent defender. His energy/motor is what makes him good though. A Carl Landry Clone with less offense but better rebounding.

Casspi was a late 1st round pick anyway.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

If they really wanted to tank they should have gotten Jonas V and rolled around with Irving, Sideshow Bob and scrubs next season. In 2012 draft then would get Jonas V+ another top 3 lottery pick. Actually I'm quite disappointed with the Cavs' draft they should have gone Irving+Jonas V or Derrick WIlliams+Brandon Knight.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Isn't jonas tied down for another year or two? I guess cleveland is desperate to make the turnaround now, not later. Seems like they're trying to fill in every position to build a competitive team.

They should have received more for Hickson though. He can be a 18 and 10 guy in the right situation. And he's only 23.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bad trade for the Cavs but Hickson IMO is one of those Landry-level players... not what they were trying to make him out to be in the past. Maybe they just wanted an excuse not to pay Amare.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Jonas V will miss ONE NBA season. Is Cleveland attempting a title run next year that they couldn't wait one year for the better player? If they were trying to fill every position, they shouldn't have drafted another PF with JJ Hickson on the roster.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

they are going to get a high lottery pick again next year anyways, and they just really want to play all of their young players. Hickson didn't prove anything last year, so he's getting the boot

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I didn't say it made sense. Gilbert also claimed they'd win a ring before the Heat, so he's not exactly thinking straight these days. They pretty much gave up on Hickson during the season and probably think TT's ceiling is higher, so that would be why they did it.

9. slamburger

slamburger Member

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Cavs are in good shape. Heck, arguably in better shape than the Rockets. Irving and Thompson are better prospects than anyone the Rockets have.

Just goes to show how effective tanking can be.

11. scola4

scola4 Member

Stein is all over it. its official.

@STEIN_LINE_HQ
    Marc Stein
    Cavs have just made trade official, announcing they've acquired Casspi and Sacramento's 2012 lottery-protected No. 1 pick for Hickson

also...

@STEIN_LINE_HQ
    Marc Stein
    I'm told Kings (like Toronto) want to make hard FA push for Tyson Chandler. But CAN'T see TC leaving title team for rebuilding team. So ...

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

:confused: All the Cavs got for tanking is Thompson. Irving's the result of taking advantage of the Clips money troubles, not tanking.

So tanking gives you Thompson, shrewd GM moves gives you Irving. Which is more effective? LOL

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

lol. SO the Cavs basiclly get the Kings second rounder in 2017

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

SMH moment of the draft. They used a fourth for a high energy, garbage man type player.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Worse part is they could have moved down and taken TT+ some other stuff, I don't think anybody else in the top 10 even had him in their radar. Markief Morris or Vessley might end up better than this guy.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hickson is not very good, at all. In fact, he is about as good as Casspi.

Fair trade.

17. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Detroit wanted Thompson.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

How does this show how effective tanking can be? You don't even know how good the Cavs will be in the future.

19. Mr. Clutch

Would you rather have Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson or Marcus Morris and Donatas Motiejunas?

That's just my point. Not that they will 100% for sure be better, but they've gotten better prospects.

20. Mr. Clutch

The Cavs got worse short- term (tanked) to get better long- term with that trade.

The Clips wanted to clear cap room to sign someone in free agency. The Clips think they are closer to contending with Griffin and weren't high on the draft.