1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Centers worth signing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cookies18, Jun 27, 2011.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

How so? Even if he's able to stand up and walk onto the court without a walker, it remains to be seen if he'll be able to move much if at all. All of those skills you listed are less than useless if the guy has lost the ability to run the court and move laterally.

2. cookies18

cookies18 Member

True! But read this article. He is rehabing and working his asss off to get ready. He has lots of talent and I think he worth a shot.
    It's going to be a gamble. If it does work out then we are in playoffs. If it doesnt, we lose money. Just give Oden the contract we gave Brad Miller.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/06/the_greg_oden_clock_starts_tic.html

1 person likes this.
  3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I really doubt that Portland gives up on him that easily. I think they will at least give him the 1 year qualifying offer. With that said, I would love to take a gamble on Oden, as he showed flashes of greatness when healthy. If he stays hurt, 8-10 mil lost for a couple of years. If he comes back finally healthy, he will be on a bargain contract. Take this article with a huge grain of salt, but what if Oden is finally healthy and has improved footwork and post moves to compliment his great defense?

I would at least make an offer to him and make Portland match it. Depending on the new CBA, maybe slightly more above MLE if the Rockets can clear some room.

1 person likes this.
  4. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Kaun is a very talented center, but he is signed for many years to a huge contact in Russia. He is not available.

5. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Kaun is like 10-15 times better than Fesenko.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

hahaha - not gonna argue with a stat man because you've already cherry picked the best stats. 6th best SL...in the league??? Fact??? Seriously LOL.

Heat LL
    Celtics WW
    Lakers LWL
    Mavs LLLL
    Spurs LLLW
    Thunder WLL
    Bulls LL
    Magic LL
    Blazers LLW

There's 9 teams there who have a better starting lineup than the Rockets and I dare say a W/L record to prove it but I'm sure you can cherry pick more stats to say how we have a better SL - hey you already have. Only the aging Celtics, who still have a better SL than us, are the only team we could beat in our matchups last year.

But wait...somehow we had the 6th best SL in the NBA and yet we finished 9th...in the West...last in our division. dang our bench and/or (old) coach must really stink...but wait...that was supposed to be our strength...and we have pretty much the same bench...ah but 11/12 is a new year...

and maybe 10/11 was a fluke year...let's go back to 09/10...lets see...we were 9th in the West...again...another fluke year...back to back flukes...what are the odds mr stat man?

If we stay with this lineup again, we will be lotto picking in 2012 draft again...and I predict somewhere around the 14th pick again...

1 person likes this.
  7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I'm sorry you have the inability to look past wins and losses, some of us can break down games and see the what went right and what went wrong. Even for those who can't, we have statistics that summarize those findings quite nicely. You'd do well to take advantage of them and enlighten yourself.

Facts are facts. No matter how many times you repeat WWWLWLLWLWLLLW, it still won't change the fact that starters only play 2/3 of the game, on a good day, and that success is tied to the bench as well. Chicago for example had an average starting lineup (they lost almost every game against the Pacers starters) but they had the best bench.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You've said before that we had a better starting lineup than the Thunder. Does this mean that if you replaced our starting lineup with theirs, the Thunder would be just as good if not better? Would the Rockets miss the playoffs by more than 3 games despite starting Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka?

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed! We need to take a shot at Oden. There simply isn't a center with more upside, and at his age (25), he's got a real chance to recover from his injuries and salvage his career. It's a gamble, but i don't see a better alternative ...unless we go back to using Chuck at the 5.

To me, you have to weigh the costs and benifits of signing a guy like Dalembert for 4 years at $10.5 mil per guaranteed (which locks up $42 million over 4 years), or Oden at 3 years (2 guaranteed) at $8 mil (which only locks up $16 million over 2 years). People have reason to be dubious about Oden's injury potential, but we also have a reason to be dubious about Dalembert's work ethic, effort, and consistency (see his time in Philly). He only seems to play well in contract years. Both of these contracts are risks, but i actually think that Oden is a better risk-reward bet. I don't like the idea of locking up 10 mil over several years on a guy who isn't even your 5th best player. I'd rather take a short-term gamble on a guy who could still turn out to be one of the best centers without having to hitch our fiancial future to him.

10. Toast

Toast Member

I think target Nene & DeAndre Jordan. Expect Sammy D and Nazr Mohammed.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Let's review the career of Greg Oden.

2007-2008 - microfracture surgery on his right knee, missed the entire season

2008-2009 - played 61 games

20009-2010 - played 21 games, surgery for a fractured left patella

2010-2011 - microfracture surgery on his left knee, missed the entire season

We do not need to take a shot at Oden. The shot would probably kill him.

12. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yes. I don't even know how you can question me at this point, I've ready been proven correct in the playoffs. They couldn't function without Harden or Collison out there, and 75% of their good stretches of basketball came with both of them.

If you replace AB and Hill, our worst two players this year, with those two and Maynor? Forget about it, we easily beat Denver and Memphis in a 7 gamer.

13. drsnay76

drsnay76 Member

:eek:

14. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

smh Drew_Le......... you are such a snitch :)

15. cookies18

cookies18 Member

SNITCH!!

16. psingh34

psingh34 Member

y is that funny? How many times did grant hill have surgery before he became servicable .. what about big Z? even if he can come back as a shell of his former self he can still be top 5 in the league at his position.... oden has been hurt more than yao (in terms of percentage of career healthy vs hurt), i would think that is more of a funny one than yao

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I do disagree with you, but I just wanted to make sure you actually said it. Thanks.

18. psingh34

psingh34 Member

y people say we need to give oden, a guy who means nothing to us and has done nothing in the league a chance and not yao, a guy who has met so much to our franchise, is a genuinely nice guy and has been a top 2 center in the league... is beyond me

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I said I wouldn't do this but you keep making me laugh...seriously. Between what you say, the fact that you have no facts and the tone you are putting it in its just classic so I have to keep going. Be patient with me oh great one...

So you wouldn't trade the Rocket starters for the Bull starters???

:eek:

I don't even know what to say...speechless...

And you do realize that this is a team sport...so you have to be ahead at the end of 48 minutes no matter who you put on the floor. Since you think our starters are in the elite status (top 6 out of 30 should be considered elite) you really think our bench or coach has improved that much to leap 3-4 spots in the West?

Even if you want to cherry pick stats, and I guarantee that is what you are doing if you can come up with "facts" the Rockets have the 6th best starters in the league, it does come down to Ws and Ls. Who cares if a team mate our scores, rebounds, steals, etc if you lose you lose. Call it a team loss but a loss is a loss. And that is what really counts - more than points, rebounds, PER, etc. You don't get into the playoffs because our starters PER is better than your starters PER.

Fact - Rockets were 9th in the West in 2010 - Lottery bound
    Fact - Rockets were 9th in the West in 2011 - Lottery bound

With no major changes logic says Rockets will be 9th in the West in 2012 and lottery bound. I actually think they will be worse in 2012 with this lineup and McHale at the helm. But that's ok because I'm hoping for a better pick in 2012 and I sure don't want to give it up to the Nets for T-Will and become 1st round fodder.

Keep me chuckling...

#139 ArtV, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  20. anchel

anchel Member

If we're gonna sign Przybilla, Mohammed, Fesenko, Foster, or Gray, I'll prefer to give Thabeet a chance.

- Marc: You can offer what you want, his team will match it.

- Jordan: Same. Olshey said that they will match any offer.

- Chandler: He's unrestricted. Depending on the new CBA, if bird rights dissapear we could have a chance. Overpaying him of course. Think about $12 mil. per year. Will we be able to offer that much? Injury issues.

- Nene: Similar. If he becomes a FA he's a possibility, again overpaying. Again, how much money will we be able to offer? I don't like that he's a poor rebounder, and sometimes doesn't show the proper attitude defensively. Doesn't block too many shots but does a fair job altering shots. And he's one of the best offensively.

- Dalembert: He offers you rebounding and rim protection, what we desperately need. He's 30 but his numbers are still very solid. Could be available for an acceptable price. I guess that in the end he's an option to consider, if we had no success with the top options.

- Greg Oden: Restricted FA. Given his potential, someone to consider. Given his injuries, someone to pass on. Same of above, you don't consider him at the start, maybe later you have to do so.

Other realistic options via trade:

- Biedrins: Injury prone. Very bad contract. Has he lost explosiveness?

- Asik: Elite defender at his position. Very good rebounder. Developing offense. Reminds the Gortat situation -when he was in Orlando-: "he's really solid playing a few minutes, but what can he do playing starter minutes?" With Gortat we already know the answer. Courtney Lee seems to be the price. How K-Mac values T-Will for what he's seeing from him these days @ the Toyota, could be decisive.

- Al Jefferson: With Kanter drafted, could have become not expendable but at least available. An all-star. A McHale's guy. Upside to be even better than now he is. What is his price? Martin + X?

- Chris Kaman: Expiring. 29 years old. Another legit 7 footer coming from injuries. Good low post scorer, decent rebounder, very good shot-blocker.

1 person likes this.