1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Centers worth signing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cookies18, Jun 27, 2011.

1. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Hasheem Thabeet.

We need to see what we got sometime.

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

And your 2011 - 2012 starting houston rockets center is........................

3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I WOULD SIGN MARC GASOL TO A 10 MIL AYEAR AND SAY, SURE LET ME HAVE HIM.

4. drsnay76

drsnay76 Member

Sensible plan, but Morey has openly stated Les Alexander will not sign off on it.

5. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

At least 7ft
    Active
    Durable
    Preferably Black (I'm not black btw)

D Howard trade? wishful thinking
    Find a 7ft Chuck Hayes and we're set.

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Nah we'll probably be 5-6 seed with current roster. If we can find someone to back up Hayes we could get home court.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^ I think last season proved we are a solid 9 seed. Can't argue the facts. And only if that back up was D Howard could we get home court.

Back to the thread... I don't see any realistic FA C signings that would really make us contenders so I think a trade for a young one is the best we can do. Either that or put Phillyrocket's plan into action.

8. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

If you bring in Joel Pryzbilla for a workout and see that he's fully healthy, you need to sign the man. People forget, but prior to his nasty injury in Portland, the guy was a very solid rebounder and interior defender. Yes, he's a white stiff and extremely unsexy, but he'd definitely give the Rox something we don't have.

9. ashishduh

Facts like we were the 6th best starting lineup in the league and the Kyle/Hayes core had a .680 win%? I'm sorry your analysis of this team's season is on par with my 6year old's but I like to look deeper.

"Team get 9 seed, team stay 9 seed."

10. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I say Deandre.

The guy is a grade A shot blocker & a big body. That is all we need from the center position because we have a scoring 4.

We just need a guy to plug the paint and Deandre does that plus he's young, athletic, has potential offensively, and he is good friends with Lowry.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The problem with giving DeAndre big money and a long-term deal is that he's not actually worth it yet. He's still very raw. He's not consistent. He's not a good defender yet (the occasional blocked shot not withstanding), and he has little to no offensive game. If you lock him up long-term for big money, you are betting that he's going to develop much further beyond where he is today. I am not confident that he will develop into a good consistent defensive presence, so I wouldn't take the risk of signing him to an expensive, long-term deal. Right now he's a more athletic Kelvin Cato, but with worse defense. He's not worth more than $7 mil per at the most, and we'd have to do much better than that to pry him away from the Clippers.

12. rockets06

rockets06 Member

I'd only like to see them overpay for Marc Gasol 12m-15m for 6 years!!

13. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

the only red flag i ever have with guys like Gasol and DeAndre are the fact that they put up their best numbers during a contract year, and how many times have we seen guys put up great numbers, get paid, then never get better or even get worse..

i'm not saying this will happen with Gasol or Jordan, but to all the sudden give a guy 12-15 mill a year based off of one season is stretching it…

I can see a little of this out of DeAndre, kinda like a stromile swift thing.. but Gasol to me seems solid and worth the long run risk...

14. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I watched the D-Legue playoffs with the sole intent of observing Thabeet. He was slow on defensive rotations and footwork was messy. Also, he has Bralyn Edwards' hands.

15. drsnay76

drsnay76 Member

Gasol's three season's have been very consistent stats-wise.:)

16. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Aaron Gray. Pittsburgh product and i'm a fan.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Nene is a safe pick, but might be too expensive.

Gasol is going to be a hot commodity, and other teams might can spend more money than we can. Also, why would he come to Houston over other teams with better players. I wouldn't red flag him. He's probably the best option.

Dalembert is an aging vet, might be expensive as well and probably would only take a paycut on a contending team.

Joel Przybilla or Kwame Brown, not too expensive and it wouldn't necessarily handicap us to go after other free agents.

Tyson Chandler is too expensive, most likely.

DeAndre Jordan, he could get some pricey offers, but he is very young though and seems like a decent big man in the works.

Aaron Gray and Kyrylo Fesenko , it's hard to say, people talk them up, but realistically they have limited minutes on their teams for a reason. I'd take Aaron Gray, though he has shown little more consistency.

Javale McGee, someone mentinoned him but he isn't a free agent until next summer (and he's restricted).

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

What does a DeAndre offer-sheet look like? 5 years, $9 mil per? does LAC match that?

19. ashishduh

No reason not to. They aren't anywhere near whatever the cap will be, and they still have two stars on rookie contracts.

20. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Looking at our two most realistic options: 26 yrs old, 7'1 Aaron Gray and 24yr old , 7'1 Kyrylo Fesenko.

Both of them have had impact full moments and even at times started against the Los Angeles Lakers large front-line in the Playoffs. They both provide the basic essentials that the Rockets need on the defensive end. Which is shot blocking/altering, rebounding and lane cloggers.

I think despite the limited time they've seen I think at today's NBA Center spot, both are capable of being starting C's.

With that said if I had to pick between the two, I would take Kyrylo Fesenko. His the better athlete of the two, and is also younger and lesser known around the league. Making him attainable at a cheaper price.